Wind and rain blamed as giant transformer falls on car in Bangkok street

webfact

Wind and rain blamed as giant transformer falls on car in Bangkok street

tr.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A motorist had a lucky escape after a giant transformer fell on his car after heavy rains and strong winds on Monday night.

Trees fell onto power lines in the Nang Lerng district of Bangkok causing the transformer to come loose from a high pole and flatten a Toyota Corolla parked outside the National Economic Development Office in the area.

Workers took three hours to remove the transformer with the aid of a crane.

Car owner and trader Sumet Leemanan, 41, was fortunately not in the car at the time.

He will be discussing compensation for the damage to his car.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-25

Looks like it was holding itself up by the wires, where is the base and the nuts and bolts

I hope health and safety go and have a look, but it will be move on nothing to see here. Mucho safety in BK you now have to watch out for low flying transformers as well

Edited by wakeupplease

Bridge under construction collapses. Possible cause: Cement truck starts engine. Transformer falls on car. Cause: Heavy rains and strong winds.  :cheesy: If rains and wind were the cause, then why weren't transformers dropping left right and centre. Why just this one. Of course logic and Thai are diametrically opposed. Just pitiful really.

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Bridge under construction collapses. Possible cause: Cement truck starts engine. Transformer falls on car. Cause: Heavy rains and strong winds.  :cheesy: If rains and wind were the cause, then why weren't transformers dropping left right and centre. Why just this one. Of course logic and Thai are diametrically opposed. Just pitiful really.

The question remains, without the heavy rain and wind, would it have fallen also.

Things like that don't belong on poles, the right place is a seperate housing the on the ground.

And the cables underground.

Edited by hansnl

9 hours ago, dyertribe said:

You can blame the wind and rain as much as you like, but the fact is that if the Transformer was installed correctly and in a safe fashion, it would never have fallen.

And what strength of wind was that?

What is called wind here is a called a breeze in rest of world.

Another excuse for botch.

I have been very close to 2 of these transformers when they have short circuited and exploded. The 2nd time I was convinced a car bomb had gone off until I saw the mess.

8 year olds in adult bodies should not be allowed to play with electricity, water, cement, drive cars or motor bikes and do lift maintenance.....the head line news on here confirms that every day.

They changed a similar transformer next to my home no later than last week. I watched them worling. Process was: take the 3 fuses off,disconnect old transfo, take it down with a crane, lift up the new one, reconnect, put fuses back ....work done. Absolutely NO fixation at all. So all transformers are potentially able to go down at any time...... Watch your head