Reporting on arrival / landlord

I am in Utah, my landlord is near Chiang Mai, the condo I will be renting is on Pattaya Hill. I think I will need the landlord to send me a rental contract. Can it be a printout from email, or must it be an original mailed to me? Can it be in letter form or must it be on some official paperwork. Do I need a receipt of pre-payment? Is there anything else I need from him? This also applies to what I need from him when obtaining my tourist visa by mail. There always seems to be something "that everybody knows" but is not in the instructions. Can I report in the afternoon (3 a.m. arrival)? Advice? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mac98
clarification

I'm glad I was ignorent of all these things when I first came here 17 years ago. Whenever I wanted to go to a country, I simply learned if I needed a visa to enter that country, bought my air ticket and off I went....the rest I played by air.

In many ways I havn't changed, I learn as I go along...."keep it simple" works for me. It never would have occured to me to worry about what a " landlord"  of the place where I am going to stay, has to do .

Never a problem so far (touch wood).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I'm glad I was ignorent of all these things when I first came here 17 years ago. Whenever I wanted to go to a country, I simply learned if I needed a visa to enter that country, bought my air ticket and off I went....the rest I played by air.

In many ways I havn't changed, I learn as I go along...."keep it simple" works for me. It never would have occured to me to worry about what a " landlord"  of the place where I am going to stay, has to do .

Never a problem so far (touch wood).

And as long as you don't need to do any business at the Jomtien immigration office during your stay (e.g., requesting a 30d extension on a tourist visa), you probably won't have a problem.  But touch all the wood you want, if you rent a condo in the area served by the Jomtien Immigration Office, and the landlord there doesn't do the TM30 (and many of them DON'T want to do it and will claim they know nothing about it!), and you yourself fail to do it within 24hrs of arrival at the condo, you'll be on the wrong side of the law.  Show up at the Jomtien office to request something, and you can be fined. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You should not need anything from your landlord to apply for a tourist visa.

After you get here your landlord will have to report your presence within 24 hours of arrival at the condo (not arrival in the country) to immigration by submitting a TM30 form.

Highly unlikely the landlord is going to travel from Chiang Mai to Pattaya just to file a TM30.

This is one of those instances where the OP should get copies of his landlords Tabien Baan and ID card and file the TM30 himself as the 'occupier' of the premises.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

And as long as you don't need to do any business at the Jomtien immigration office during your stay (e.g., requesting a 30d extension on a tourist visa), you probably won't have a problem.  But touch all the wood you want, if you rent a condo in the area served by the Jomtien Immigration Office, and the landlord there doesn't do the TM30 (and many of them DON'T want to do it and will claim they know nothing about it!), and you yourself fail to do it within 24hrs of arrival at the condo, you'll be on the wrong side of the law.  Show up at the Jomtien office to request something, and you can be fined. 

Yep, didn’t bother getting mine and when I went for an extension at Chiangmai immigration the fine was 1700b ish, don’t remember the exact amount but under 2000 anyway.  Not too bad but it’s free if you do it within 24 hours of arrival. 

I own my condo in Jomtien. So if I enter Thailand on a SETV or visa exempt, should I fill in a TM30 within 24 hrs and take it to immigration. The reason I ask is because all the time I have had the condo, some 10 years and have been in and out  many times, when I have been to Jomtien Immigration to extend said SETV , as recently as last month, they have never said anything to me, or even mentioned a fine.

When I go for the extension I fill in the TM30, with me as the housemaster, I also take a copy of the condo's land registry, it has my name on it in Thai. Plus all the usual copies of passport etc. I would me most grateful to know the rule here.

3 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

I own my condo in Jomtien. So if I enter Thailand on a SETV or visa exempt, should I fill in a TM30 within 24 hrs and take it to immigration. The reason I ask is because all the time I have had the condo, some 10 years and have been in and out  many times, when I have been to Jomtien Immigration to extend said SETV , as recently as last month, they have never said anything to me, or even mentioned a fine.

When I go for the extension I fill in the TM30, with me as the housemaster, I also take a copy of the condo's land registry, it has my name on it in Thai. Plus all the usual copies of passport etc. I would me most grateful to know the rule here.

I use the same office.  I would guess they aren't fining people who file-late when they are on Tourist-type entries (visa or exempt)?  I followed the rules when I was here on tourist-entries, thanks to reading this forum.  But, in retrospect, those I reported as fined by that office, per this forum, were not on tourist-type entries.  At least one was on Elite, and the others were Non-Os (based on retirement or marriage) - but I could be forgetting a case.

1 hour ago, The Maltese Falcon said:

Hi,

Going to stay at my girlfriend place does  she have to report to immigration of my presence.

That depends on the immigration-office policies that serves where you will be living (policies vary), and if you will be needing any services from that immigration-office. 

I am facing the same bummer the OP seems to be facing. Plus my housemaster is in his 90s and his son is abroad and never available.I am loathe to visit the Kingdom on a tourist visa just to clear up things for us (!!), then come back and apply for an immigration B visa. I know I am going to face the same situation with the TM30. I wish I could be cool like dotpoom! But how patient are the immigration guys or girls with confused people like myself? That depends on the immigration office, a thing which the OP insightfully referred to when he wrote: "There always seems to be something "that everybody knows" but is not in the instructions." I would say it was the job of our diplomatic missions to help us with this at least for the first time. Isn't that why we pay our taxes here? To help us in these matters as well, I would've thought. 

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit

25 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

I would say it was the job of our diplomatic missions to help us with this at least for the first time. Isn't that why we pay our taxes here? To help us in these matters as well, I would've thought. 

In the first quarter of 2017, 9,194,057 tourists visited Thailand, that's 102,156 per day, from a possible 194 Countries.

There are at least 62 Immigration offices in Thailand, so in order for diplomats to serve all nationalities located at 62 different locations, you'd need 12,028 diplomats.

The personal allowances allows you to earn around 30,000 baht per month before tax.

How much do you think you'll be earning in Thailand to pay taxes to cover the costs of 12,028 diplomats.  :smile:

36 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

"There always seems to be something "that everybody knows" but is not in the instructions." 

It's clearly written in the instructs, section 38.

In the absence of an available landlord, just get copies of his Tabien Baan and ID card and fie the TM30 yourself as the tenant.

If your particular Immigration office doesn't enforce notification of an aliens residence by the 'housemaster' then nothings lost, you've made an attempt to comply with the law, won't get fined and you'll be more familiar with your own IO's requirements.

If they do enforce the requirement, you've followed the law and again won't be fined.

Those who usually complain and consequently pay the fines, didn't bother to read the instructions, before embarking to visit, work, or live in a foreign Country, or will tell you nobody told them a foreign Country has different rules and laws to their own Country.

Did someone tell them they drive on the left hand side in Thailand (it's sometimes hard to tell here)  :omfg:  or did they wait until they were involved in an accident to find out. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

There are at least 62 Immigration offices in Thailand, so in order for diplomats to serve all nationalities located at 62 different locations, you'd need 12,028 diplomats.

Hi, my comment on the diplomats was a joke ( I am allowed one per day by my shrink :passifier:) but by diplomatic missions I did not mean the Thai officials at all of those 62 locations in the Kingdom at all. I meant the couple of blokes at the consulates embassies honorary consuls etc, <peace> who are paid in their local currencies for assisting their compatriots in the Kingdom :-))

And, yes, your advice on reading all instructions, researching is well taken, thanks. 

Edited by Aditi Sharma
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

I meant the couple of blokes at the consulates embassies honorary consuls etc, <peace> who are paid in their local currencies for assisting their compatriots in the Kingdom :-))

But wouldn't that mean they'd be expected to actually work   :coffee1:

• Haha 1

On 10/24/2017 at 9:40 PM, hawker9000 said:

As in my question I mentioned Pattaya Hill so I will be going to Immig in Jomtien. I know they want proof of residency and office is often closed, so I figured bring copy of rental agreement. I will also need that soon to apply for retirement there. Landlord is a friend renting out his condo for first time. An old coot like me who gets confused with paperwork.