Do all Smart TV's have Wi Fi connectivity?

giddyup

I brought out 4G smart TV from the UK, not really expecting it to work, but hoping. it would  Once I got WiFi in the house, it connected straight away and I stream moves and all sorts with it. So I would say yes.  Ours is an LG  60 inch bog standard smart TV.  Nothing special about it.  

If I were you and was looking around for a Tv in that size and price range, I would go for the Sony 49W660E

at around 19 000 Baht.

Now you've confused me by giving me something else to consider. The Sony is 3500 baht more expensive than the 49" UHD, HDR LG though. Is it worth 3500 more? I'll have to read some reviews.

3 hours ago, amvet said:

I believe after you register the TV with the manufacturer it becomes the manufacturer responsibility.  I had some problems with an expensive electronic purchase and the manufacturers service people came to my house and fixed the problem as the unit was under warranty.

My concern with an expensive TV from Lazada would be the prospect of getting a "lemon" TV, as in:

The driver arrives with the TV, brings it up to my living room, I don't know if they'll unpack and set it up or not. But by the time I get around to finishing everything and turning it on, the set doesn't work properly.  The driver has already gone. I call Lazada, they say sorry, you signed for it at delivery, so now it's your problem. And then I'm stuck trying to deal with Samsung or whomever on warranty for a TV that isn't right from day one...  :sad:

Last time out, I bought my most recent TV from PowerBuy. The guys who delivered it unpacked it at my home and did the minor stand assembly, plugged everything in and turned it on. So I was able to check and know that everything was working properly before they left...  They didn't just dump the box at my door and ask me to sign.

That's why I was curious how Lazada TV deliveries would go. Normally, for smaller stuff, the driver is just a delivery driver only. They're not doing anything with the package they drop off... I don't know if it's the same with Lazada's TV deliveries, or they actually have TV delivery guys who will complete the set-up process before they scram...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

If I were you and was looking around for a Tv in that size and price range, I would go for the Sony 49W660E

at around 19 000 Baht.

Now you've confused me by giving me something else to consider. The Sony is 3500 baht more expensive than the 49" UHD, HDR LG though. Is it worth 3500 more? I'll have to read some reviews.

The Sony model he linked to was just full HD, not UHD, so it's lower resolution than your UHD models.  But, like your LG models, the Sony does also have HDR, which is good.

That Sony model, in addition to being more expensive, is also from Lazada, not a normal retailer, so I'm not sure how much set-up support they'd provide upon delivery. But Sony does make generally good TVs, and them having Android as their OS might be a plus if you use Android mobile phones or tablets.

50 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My concern with an expensive TV from Lazada would be the prospect of getting a "lemon" TV, as in:

The driver arrives with the TV, brings it up to my living room, I don't know if they'll unpack and set it up or not. But by the time I get around to finishing everything and turning it on, the set doesn't work properly.  The driver has already gone. I call Lazada, they say sorry, you signed for it at delivery, so now it's your problem. And then I'm stuck trying to deal with Samsung or whomever on warranty for a TV that isn't right from day one...  :sad:

Last time out, I bought my most recent TV from PowerBuy. The guys who delivered it unpacked it at my home and did the minor stand assembly, plugged everything in and turned it on. So I was able to check and know that everything was working properly before they left...  They didn't just dump the box at my door and ask me to sign.

That's why I was curious how Lazada TV deliveries would go. Normally, for smaller stuff, the driver is just a delivery driver only. They're not doing anything with the package they drop off... I don't know if it's the same with Lazada's TV deliveries, or they actually have TV delivery guys who will complete the set-up process before they scram...

First they’d need a stud finder and power drill and a wiring diagram of the wires in your wall to mount the TV. Then they would have to know about VPN from many different companies and fiber optic routers and regular cable routers from 5 different companies and phone lines and android apps from 20 different phones. Then a working knowledge of satellites and boxes from about a hundred manufactures. Then Playstation and Xbox and all the other game manufacturers that hook to your TV and the remote controls and controllers that go with those systems. Most people are going to hook up a computer so that knowledge is necessary too and what kind of connections are required. I’ve got 14 wires going into my TV for different things including a camera and an alarm system.

Then you turn the TV on and update it and begin to download and configure all of your applications and make sure they all work. I use 3 file managers and two portable hard drives with mine and a number of movie and game applications. All of those applications have to be compatible with my TV and all of the games I purchased have to also work on my TV. When you open up google play and go to library it will tell you all the applications you have purchased and if your smart they will all work on your TV too. I’ve got a lot of money in expensive interaction fiction games and high resolution role playing adventures. Then there is the sound systems and hooking up woofers and sound bars and surround sound speakers and the music systems like Deezer and Spotify and how they sound and are you getting Dolby sound. Check the football game channels and see if my sports picture and sound boosters are working. There are different settings for concerts and movies and sports and news. Do those all work. After that one hooks up the virtual reality systems and put up the room boundary markers and hook up the keyboards and mice and all the things necessary to control all those applications. How many guys do you think it will take from how many different companies and how long will they be there? I’m sure I forgot to mention a lot of things but I’ll give it some more thought.  I think I mentioned it before that the three guys that Sony sent out to install my TV did not have a clue how to operate the TV or any of the peripherals that I wanted hooked up.  Sony offers different equipment with the same TV in the US and Thailand and I complained about that but never did get all the stuff that went with a US TV.  Extra remotes and other things to control set top boxes.

I believe only 4 companies make all the TV screens for everyone and LG I think make Sony's.  You can check.

Edited by amvet

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The delivery guy is strictly that, he gets you to sign for the boxed TV and leaves. It's up to you to set it up and check that it works etc. If it doesn't then it could be a hassle I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I wouldn't buy a 65 inch or something really expensive because of some of the concerns you've raised about transport and setting it up.

But for something the size of a 50 inch, it would be fine. Most TV's these days are pretty much plug in and away you go.

Having said that, if it went bang after a few days, you would just need to ring the manufacturer and arrange a tech to come out.

I had the Samsung techs out for a quote to repair for only 300 Baht.

Lazada is a useful tool to get a price range and some idea's of what's available.

The bottom line is, if you can find what you're after at a retailer for pretty much the same price, buying and getting it delivered

and installed would be a no brainer for me.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

at around 19 000 Baht.

I just think that Sony is a superior brand to LG (not including their OLEDs), so I would be happy to pay the extra 3500 Baht.

I've also seen the Sony advertised for as low as 16 500 Baht so it pays to look around.

TBH, you probably won't see much difference between models in that market.

There are so many good deals at the moment. If it's not too inconvenient, I would just

wander down to a few stores and have a look at which one takes your fancy. You might

get a real good deal on something.  I was in Sinthanee today and saw the Sony 65X9000e

reduced from 92 000 to 69 000 which is an excellent buy.

I don't think you can really go wrong in the range you're looking at, if you stick to the decent brands.

Here is a small piece taken from that review site I posted previously.

LG: So far, we've reviewed 6 LG TVs in 2017. They release a lot of TVs every year, probably more than anybody else. Most of them are inexpensive, but they rarely offer good value compared to their competition. Over the past few years, LG has become known for their OLED and IPS LCD TVs. Their OLEDs are especially notable for being the first of their kind to be widely distributed. 

Sony: So far, we've reviewed 9 Sony TVs in 2017. Sony TVs are generally a pretty safe bet. They tend to have great picture quality and a good amount of polish. Their build quality also tends to be better than average. Their budget models are not the most competitive TVs, but their high-end and especially their mid-range TVs are amongst the best, albeit usually at a price premium.

LG vs Sony

Sony doesn't offer as many models in their range, but it isn't any narrower than LG's since it is a bit more diverse.

They offer both VA and IPS type LCD TVs, and for 2017 they even have an OLED model. We've also found Sony's IPS

TVs to usually have better screen uniformity compared to their LG counterparts.

I'd switch if I thought it was worth it.  My thoughts are I've incorporated many of the things that are now standard into my TV with addons like gaming systems and computers.  Sony has changed to Dolby vision and OLED.  I'll wait for a while.  Lazada is delivered to me by Kerry Logistics and I've never had a problem with them.  I could probably get a job as an installer but that would interfere with my Steam Game playing schedule and walking the dog.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-a1-oled

3 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I just think that Sony is a superior brand to LG (not including their OLEDs), so I would be happy to pay the extra 3500 Baht.

I've also seen the Sony advertised for as low as 16 500 Baht so it pays to look around.

TBH, you probably won't see much difference between models in that market.

There are so many good deals at the moment. If it's not too inconvenient, I would just

wander down to a few stores and have a look at which one takes your fancy. You might

get a real good deal on something.  I was in Sinthanee today and saw the Sony 65X9000e

reduced from 92 000 to 69 000 which is an excellent buy.

I don't think you can really go wrong in the range you're looking at, if you stick to the decent brands.

Here is a small piece taken from that review site I posted previously.

LG: So far, we've reviewed 6 LG TVs in 2017. They release a lot of TVs every year, probably more than anybody else. Most of them are inexpensive, but they rarely offer good value compared to their competition. Over the past few years, LG has become known for their OLED and IPS LCD TVs. Their OLEDs are especially notable for being the first of their kind to be widely distributed. 

Sony: So far, we've reviewed 9 Sony TVs in 2017. Sony TVs are generally a pretty safe bet. They tend to have great picture quality and a good amount of polish. Their build quality also tends to be better than average. Their budget models are not the most competitive TVs, but their high-end and especially their mid-range TVs are amongst the best, albeit usually at a price premium.

LG vs Sony

Sony doesn't offer as many models in their range, but it isn't any narrower than LG's since it is a bit more diverse.

They offer both VA and IPS type LCD TVs, and for 2017 they even have an OLED model. We've also found Sony's IPS

TVs to usually have better screen uniformity compared to their LG counterparts.

LG makes the Sony OLED screens

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Sony model he linked to was just full HD, not UHD, so it's lower resolution than your UHD models.  But, like your LG models, the Sony does also have HDR, which is good.

That Sony model, in addition to being more expensive, is also from Lazada, not a normal retailer, so I'm not sure how much set-up support they'd provide upon delivery. But Sony does make generally good TVs, and them having Android as their OS might be a plus if you use Android mobile phones or tablets.

There is this model Sony from Lazada at the same price that seems to have all the bells and whistles http://www.lazada.co.th/sony-kd-43x7000e-led-43-4k-uhd-2160p-4k-x-reality-pro-39763489.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.23473787q2uppm&mp=1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

There is this model Sony from Lazada at the same price that seems to have all the bells and whistles http://www.lazada.co.th/sony-kd-43x7000e-led-43-4k-uhd-2160p-4k-x-reality-pro-39763489.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.23473787q2uppm&mp=1

Everything looks good there..... UHD, HDR, Android OS, 3 HDMI and 3 USB. Seller seems to get good reviews on the site. And can pay via COD.

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

You couldn't go wrong with that model I reckon.

It gets a decent review here.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/08/the-best-4k-tvs-under-1200/

Depending on your budget and needs, you can get the next size up for 22 900 Baht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/sony-bravia-led-49x7000e-4934-4k-ultra-hd-high-dynamic-range-26064744.html?spm=a2o4m.category-030500000000.0.0.391435e55k9itv&ff=1&sc=EQgR&rb=911

On 10/29/2017 at 8:26 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I call Lazada, they say sorry, you signed for it at delivery, so now it's your problem.

If you look on their web site it clearly says "All items sold on Lazada Thailand are covered under the "7 days easy return" or "14 days easy return “depending on product type or seller condition." with the process to go thro to get your item returned. I have never tried it as everything I've bought has been ok so far.... infact bought a TV yesterday, very pleased I got a non smart version, can just plug my Android box in and it just works immediately. Start up times faster than waiting on the TV smarts to load as well.

On 10/30/2017 at 1:03 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Everything looks good there..... UHD, HDR, Android OS, 3 HDMI and 3 USB. Seller seems to get good reviews on the site. And can pay via COD.

And priced 1,000b higher at PowerBuy, for example...

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/p/led-tv-43-uhd-sony-smart-dtv-kd-43x7000e

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Powerbuy does deliver and set it up for you though. Maybe you can negotiate the price as well?

A lot of times they and HomePro both have online/instore promotions where if you buy with a particular Thai bank card, often credit card, they'll give a cash discount and often no interest financing for 6 months or some other period. Just had that lately with buying a new air con from HomePro.

I've also had a number of situations where they list a price on an item in the store, on the tag right next to the item, but when you talk to the sales staff, they immediately offer it at a different/lower price.... Not always, but at times...

• 9 months later...
On 10/29/2017 at 11:10 PM, giddyup said:

Had an old TV finally fail at home a few days back, so got busy trying to decide what the replacement would be.

In the end, after considering all the advice given in this thread, decided on this Sony 43 in. UHD model on sale for the next several days via PowerBuy online for about 17K.  The same exact model is priced in their stores at almost 21K, but the store refused to match their own online price, so I went with the online version and free delivery.

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/sony-led-tv-43-sony-4k-internet-tv-dtv-kd43x7000f-241731

357398507_2018-08-1111_34_20.jpg.9b26623c8222156b0c7246d0e2716a15.jpg

1588712872_SonyKD43X7000F.jpg.e0eaa961b13029aa8469b3bb3ae81189.jpg

The current "F" model of the 7000 series is the 2018 version, whereas the previously mentioned "E" model was the 2017 version.

One thing I discovered in fighting my way thru the details of all this stuff was that not ALL current models of Sony TVs, even the UHD models, are Android OS models. In fact, this model above and the E that preceded it are NOT Android TV OS models. But instead, apparently a Linux-based version that relies at least in part on the former Opera TV (now VEWD TV) OS and app store.

The Sony info, not to mention the retailers info, is pretty confusing on the distinction between what they call Smart TVs, like the 7000 series, and what they call and label Android TVs, which are the higher end models including a very similar 7500 series that are Android TV OS versions.

What I discovered was, apart from the non-Android 43 in. UHD Smart TV I got, I could have gotten an Android TV OS model of 43 inch size but only 1080P for about the same price. Or, if I wanted the very similar 7500 series Android TV OS version in the same 43 in. UHD size that comes with a voice control Android assistant remote control, Chromecast and Bluetooth, it was going to cost closer to 22K.

In the end, since I rely more on external streaming devices than any "smart" capability built into the TV, I decided that getting the UHD version was a higher priority for me than getting the Android TV OS version. But because the 7000F model is still a "Smart TV," it comes with the full complement of 3 HDMI ports, 3 USB ports and a Ethernet jack, which I typically make good use of.

49682980_SonyKD43X7000F2.jpg.77b3661faf29cab64c38b5ef80234db0.jpg

Just a bit of an update re the above Sony UHD TV, which arrived at home today and was successfully installed and set up.

The picture is crisp and clear, it's quick to start, the channels change quickly via the remote control, speakers are OK for a TV, etc etc. And it's listed as HDCP 2.2 compatible, has a LAN port, and built-in wifi, although it's only wifi N 2.4 GHz.

But as for the "smart" part of this particular series of Sony TV's (the ones without Android OS), it's a bit of a mixed bag, as follows:

The remote has one-touch buttons for both YouTube and Netflix, which both work fine. And the YouTube app allows you to sign into your YT account, meaning the content that surfaces is personalized to your subscriptions, etc etc.

But beyond that, there's no Google Play Store, of course, and instead, as I had expected, there is a very crippled app store called the VEWD app store (formerly Opera TV Store). Not even any mention of it in the documentation that comes with the TV, and no obvious access button on the remote control. But if you press the HOME button on the remote, it brings up a kind of files/player/apps menu with a horizontal apps row at the very top.

In that apps row, there is a tile for "All Apps" and then 3 or so small tiles for whatever 3 most recent apps you've used. If you select "All Apps," on this particular TV, it brings up a pre-populated list of a dozen or so apps including one for the VEWD App Store.  But the odd part is, AFAICT, you can neither install or uninstall any apps in this OS. You can only open the group of pre-populated apps or choose to search for/favorite and open apps individually from the VEWD app store.

The pre-populated list of apps, beyond the already mentioned Netflix and YouTube available via the remote control, includes Amazon Prime Video and Hulu, which both work fine, Sony Crackle which allows playing content but apparently not signing in, and the Vudu app, which doesn't seem to work at all, and Pandora. Beyond the pre-populated list, apps you can access apparently only by first opening the VEWD app store app include PLEX, AccuWeather, a TV Casting app, Asian Crush, some newspaper sites, and not a whole lot else.

On the website for the VEWD app store, its list of available apps includes others like Deezer, Tidal, CBS News, CNBC, DW, Tubi TV and quite a few others -- none of which seem to be available in the actual app store used on these Sony Thailand TVs.

So as I mentioned above, this is NOT the TV to buy if you're intending to rely on using it for a Google Play Store type experience. But if you can get your full range of apps thru some external device like a Fire TV, Android TV, Roku, etc etc., then this TV should work fine. And if all you really do with apps is Netflix or YouTube, then those are easily acessible within this TV and its one-touch remote control buttons.