Thailand could do with a few of these machines!

webfact

7 hours ago, nongsung said:

and only just since 30 years or so...

and many of them in the Netherlands politely burp and then say 'thank you'!

Every kid within 100 metres looks for rubbish to make it burp again!

However, a bottle and can deposit as South Australia has, certainly works well, and not a can or bottle to be seen on the highways.

On a recent trip I did in an Eastern Thai province, the highways are truly lined with plastic of all shapes and sizes.  Little wonder most of it ends up in the sea.

8 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Could they introduce that and a photo booth ? Been told by local photo shops "CANNOT" with no explanation as to why photo booths do not work in Thailand 3.0 .

Somehow, I just can't see photo booths catching fire again when almost everyone carries a camera that can immediately post a higher quality photo to everyone and their dog.  For free.

10 hours ago, daoyai said:

you pay a deposit when you purchase... so it is not free money but it does cut down on litter. most plastic and glass bottles get picked up by recyclers here anyway so, why bother?

You see the 'recyclers' picking up off the beaches? Really? :whistling:

11 hours ago, daoyai said:

you pay a deposit when you purchase... so it is not free money but it does cut down on litter. most plastic and glass bottles get picked up by recyclers here anyway so, why bother?

If there was money in it there wouldn't be any bottles left to litter. Problem in LOS is that bottles are but a minor part of the garbage problem, and most bottles and recyclable rubbish is already picked up.

Needs to be extended to ALL disposable packaging. Add 10 baht to everything and the rubbish problem will go away.

10 hours ago, petedk said:

Yes, Denmark has had a pant on plastic (and glass) bottles for the last 20 years or more.

I remember going to an open open air pop concert in Copenhagen and my kids went around collecting empty bottles. They earned nearly 1000 Dkr (about 5000 Baht) in one day as most people just seemed to leave their bottle s anywhere.

The system works well and you don't see many plastic bottles laying around. People will soon snap them up and get the 10 -15 baht deposit back.

Edit:  Thailand could at least introduce some kind of deposit on glass bottles to encourage recycling. On the other hand I am not sure how well the bottles would be cleaned at the breweries and people put all sorts of chemicals and stuff in other bottles.

They recycle them, they are not refilled.  They are shredded, cleaned and then turned in plastic pellets which are used to make other objects.  Glass ones go through a different process, they are crushed, cleaned, melted and then turned into new bottles and jars.  So you really don't have to worry. :wai:

12 hours ago, samsensam said:

when i was a child you could return empty glass bottles and get a refund, so it's not a new idea.

When I was a kid, we used to raid the backyard of the local shop, collect a few bottles and take them to the front of the shop and claim the return deposit, and that was over 60 years ago - so nothing new about recycling ?

Edited by Artisi

6 hours ago, Artisi said:

When I was a kid, we used to raid the backyard of the local shop, collect a few bottles and take them to the front of the shop and claim the return deposit, and that was over 60 years ago - so nothing new about recycling ?

And here I was thinking that was a unique aussie thing we did

7 hours ago, NRGF said:

You have to pay a deposit on most plastic and glass bottles here in the Netherlands, redeemable through a machine as seen here or just over the counter.

Hey if you live there whats the deposit or trade in on a Robloke, my guess is I asked a stupid question, so any refunds available.

Edited by wakeupplease

These machines are prominent in US in states that have deposit container laws (plastic, glass and cans).  Most Walmarts in Oregon have them, the current rate is 10 cents per, was a nickel until recently.   A popular form of getting money for those down on their luck, and it cleans up the place too.

In the West of Denmark they go over the border to German Aldi and buy wine and beer. In Germany they do not have a surcharge on plastic or glass bottles. You can not put any bottle into the Danish machine, only the ones purchased in Denmark. Clever machine knows which is which.

In the West of Denmark they go over the border to German Aldi and buy wine and beer. In Germany they do not have a surcharge on plastic or glass bottles. You can not put any bottle into the Danish machine, only the ones purchased in Denmark. Clever machine knows which is which.

There is another "untold" side of these container deposit laws. Yes, they do seem to help reduce litter.

The other "untold" side is they enable drug and alcohol addiction. How? The addicts steal shopping carts and wander city streets on garbage days to scrounge for bottles/cans. Naturally, the money they get goes directly to fuel their addiction and there are 1000's of people engaged in this activity in some cities.

The argument is, "So what! At least we have litter under control." Problem with that argument is these folks are getting the bottles/cans out of garbage cans just hours before the refuse trucks come through.

Money finally ends up in the hands of one drug gang or another and street drug wars continue with death and violence spiraling out of control.

4 hours ago, Watchful said:

There is another "untold" side of these container deposit laws. Yes, they do seem to help reduce litter.

The other "untold" side is they enable drug and alcohol addiction. How? The addicts steal shopping carts and wander city streets on garbage days to scrounge for bottles/cans. Naturally, the money they get goes directly to fuel their addiction and there are 1000's of people engaged in this activity in some cities.

The argument is, "So what! At least we have litter under control." Problem with that argument is these folks are getting the bottles/cans out of garbage cans just hours before the refuse trucks come through.

Money finally ends up in the hands of one drug gang or another and street drug wars continue with death and violence spiraling out of control.

Related but a separate issue to be dealt with.

5 hours ago, Watchful said:

So everyone scrapping a living off the streets is a drug addict. Suggest you get off your bar stool,  step outside and really see what is going on instead of talking nonsense. 

On 10/27/2017 at 2:14 AM, Artisi said:

So everyone scrapping a living off the streets is a drug addict. Suggest you get off your bar stool,  step outside and really see what is going on instead of talking nonsense. 

So what do we have here? A barfly telling me, a non-drinker, to get off my bar stool. 

The problem with alcohol addicts (like you) is they think everyone is an addict like they are.

Perhaps between drinks on your bar stool, you can educate yourself:

https://thepavlovictoday.com/afterimage-review/what-can-we-do-about-can-and-bottle-deposit-laws/

"In some cities, homeless people collect empty cans and bottles for the redemption value and this becomes one of their only sources of money.  The issue becomes controversial because the managers of some supermarkets feel that the presence of homeless people lining up at the bottle and can redemption machines may frighten away or intimidate their customers."

Anything that enables homelessness and the addictions that accompany it is harmful.

http://www.smilepolitely.com/opinion/bad_laws_-_illinois_needs_a_bottle_bill/

"Right now, homeless and underemployed people are scouring the alleys of Champaign-Urbana, retrieving aluminum cans from dumpsters (and pilfering them from recycling bins, depriving haulers and municipalities of income, but that’s an issue for a different column)."

As I said, there is another side to these deposit law and your "off handed", bar stool comment adds nothing to the discussion.

Just remember that in most major cities garbage haulers by law are required to sort and recycle. Indeed, the economics work in their favor to do so.

All bottle laws really do is help look after the "pigs" that toss their empties on the streets. My solution is to have these folks collect litter for six months while severing the balance of their day in the county jail.

Edited by Watchful