O-A Visa (London) Bank statement/evidence finance

I am planning a trip to the Thai Embassy in London to apply for the O-A visa and was hoping to use a building society savings account statement as proof of adequate finance.

However It has been mentioned elsewhere that the money has to be in a bank current account.  Can anyone confirm if the is the case?  I could move sufficient money into my

current account now but does it have to have been there for 3 months?

The other question I have it about the documents that have to be certified, the bank (or could it be building society) statement, medical certificate and criminal record check,

there seems to be some uncertainty about how many copies of these are required, the embassy website implies 1 copy of each but I have seen also mention of 3 copies.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially from anyone who has been through this process. I have called the embassy numerous times but cant get any reply. ( I know they were holiday on 23 and 26).

Edited by mart700

I am planning a trip to the Thai Embassy in London to apply for the O-A visa and was hoping to use a building society savings account statement as proof of adequate finance. However It has been mentioned elsewhere that the money has to be in a bank current account.  Can anyone confirm if the is the case?  I could move sufficient money into my

current account now but does it have to have been there for 3 months?

The other question I have it about the documents that have to be certified, the bank (or could it be building society) statement, medical certificate and criminal record check,

there seems to be some uncertainty about how many copies of these are required, the embassy website implies 1 copy of each but I have seen also mention of 3 copies.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially from anyone who has been through this process. I have called the embassy numerous times but cant get any reply. ( I know they were holiday on 23 and 26).

I got an O-A in London a year ago and although I cannot help you with the bank question as I used a Thai bank account as proof ( also used a Thai medical certificate ) I can tell you that you will need 3 copies of the form to apply for O-A + 3 photos.I remember this well as I had only filled in one copy and the lady at the counter told me I needed 3 forms +3 photos ( luckily I had spare forms and photos with me ).

I can tell you that you only need 1 copy of each of the bank, medical and police documents though.

EDIT: I do seem to remember that on the form it asked for 2 photos to be supplied with 1 application form . Not sure if I supplied 6 photos with the 3 forms ?

Better to have a few with you just in case.

There is certainly no requirement for it to be in a current account (aka checking account).

The only restriction is that the funds are available without a delay.

This from the embassy website. http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/non-immigrant-visa

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity 

• Copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately £18,000.00 / annum) or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.

OP - as I recall from my own experience in obtaining an OA visa in London several years ago, the Embassy were also insistent on this letter being provided where the bank (or building society in your case) statement didn't include a mailing address (as my UK bank don't in their statements). Which letter also needs to be notarised along with the statement, medical certificate and subject access disclosure from your local police force.

Edited by OJAS

It looks as though ‘border runs’ stretch half way around the World now. This stuff used to be done in Laos, Penang etc. It wouldn’t surprise me if the London Embassy is not happy with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

the ops question reminds me about the a gentleman here. he applied for extension of stay based on retirement. his funds 800k were dposited in a thai savings cooperative paying 4.2 %, his application for the extension was rejected as the immi officer requested the funds to be in a bank account.thus isnt a building society similar ???

wbr

roobaa01

52 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

the ops question reminds me about the a gentleman here. he applied for extension of stay based on retirement. his funds 800k were dposited in a thai savings cooperative paying 4.2 %, his application for the extension was rejected as the immi officer requested the funds to be in a bank account.thus isnt a building society similar ???

An embassy has different requirements than immigration. They are normally not as strict as some immigration office can be.

Also I don't think a building society in the UK is the same as a cooperative here.

Very true, high rates of interest are offered for high risk investments and the money is normally not readily accessable. The embassy in your home country is assessing your wealth, if you can only scrape together 800,000 Baht I wouldn't expect them to issue a non immigrant visa. This is what I meant by my reference to 'visa runs'. Immigration is interested in you having funds available for the coming year to be 800,000 Baht or more. I used bank book copies from Thailand to apply my non-imm visa from London because I was known but they could have asked for more.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

My bank is a former building society, though the money was moved into the current account, not savings. You can transfer the money into your account just long enough to print out a statement (the local branch should print and copy one onto company headed paper and stamp/sign it) and you can move the money back later. Three months seasoning is not required.

Certified copies then need to be made at a solicitor (probably £5 per copy) of the bank statement, the police clearance certificate and the medical certificate. Only one certified copy of each document is required, not three. Take it to the embassy along with the exact amount of money in cash. Better not to take a file or clutter your application with other supporting documentation, they're usually very busy and won't appreciate it. 

Edited by lamyai3

Question - I am about to do the same (in London), does anyone know if the originals can be given in place of certified copies (i.e the original plus two uncertified copies) ? When I read the website I did not see anything about certification so just presumed I would handover the original (which I have no problems with)?

I am dread of flying all the way back to the UK and then having some small thing prevent my application for the visa

Edited by MRToMRT

15 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

I am dread of flying all the way back to the UK and then having some small thing prevent my application for the visa

Since the financials are similar and the ancillary salad-dressing rather less arduous, why not apply for a retirement extension whilst in Thailand? Saves the cost of a flight and all the other stuff London need. 

On 10/31/2017 at 7:00 AM, MRToMRT said:

Question - I am about to do the same (in London), does anyone know if the originals can be given in place of certified copies (i.e the original plus two uncertified copies) ? When I read the website I did not see anything about certification so just presumed I would handover the original (which I have no problems with)?

No, they won't accept originals, need to be certified copies. 

• 1 year later...

Im will soon be applying for my Non Immigrant type O-A visa from the embassy in London.

How long before departure would those that have been through the process recommend, I know I will now have to book an appointment through the online service, I was thinking about one week??

I am an Irish passport holder, do I still need an income affidavit?

My understanding is that the money doesn't have to be seasoned so I can just deposit the equivalent of 800k shortly prior to my visit, is this correct?

Alternatively I have salary and rental income far exceeding 65k per month, is the salary portion of this acceptable? I will be giving up the salary and receiving a pension shortly after my application.

23 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Im will soon be applying for my Non Immigrant type O-A visa from the embassy in London.

How long before departure would those that have been through the process recommend, I know I will now have to book an appointment through the online service, I was thinking about one week??

I am an Irish passport holder, do I still need an income affidavit?

My understanding is that the money doesn't have to be seasoned so I can just deposit the equivalent of 800k shortly prior to my visit, is this correct?

Alternatively I have salary and rental income far exceeding 65k per month, is the salary portion of this acceptable? I will be giving up the salary and receiving a pension shortly after my application.

Online application is not applicable until the 1st April if you can apply before

Edited by Lovethailandelite

1 minute ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Online application is applicable until the 1st April if you can apply before

I dont want to apply until July, I understand the online process, thanks.

1 hour ago, Jim P said:

No seasoning, correct. 

This is one of those situations where it might be confusing referencing an old thread, as some of the information is no longer current. For instance there was a rule change in 2018 which means some of the comments on notarisation are no longer accurate. Here's a recent thread with up to date information.

Thanks Lamyai for the confirmation on the seasoning.

I had already posted in that thread a few days ago without reply, hence I thought I would try another, maybe I will give it another go, cheers. I`m actually not that far from the Thai Embassy so if necessary I will pop in and ask, cheers.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:00 PM, Jim P said:

Thanks Lamyai for the confirmation on the seasoning.

Quick update, seems they've pulled the rug out from under this rule in the past few days, and are now asking for three months of statements regarding the 800k. You mention above you'll be applying in July so it should still be workable, but might require shifting the money sooner depending on how you receive your statements. 

3 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Quick update, seems they've pulled the rug out from under this rule in the past few days, and are now asking for three months of statements regarding the 800k. You mention above you'll be applying in July so it should still be workable, but might require shifting the money sooner depending on how you receive your statements. 

In the UK?

12 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Yes Im aware of it lamyai so will be seasoning my account in the next few weeks, cheers.