The UK, France, Germany, Italy and Canada have condemned Israel’s decision to move forward with tenders for new settlement housing in E1, a corridor area east of Jerusalem in the occupied West Bank, calling the step unacceptable and urging it to be withdrawn. In a joint statement released on Thursday, the five European allies and Canada said the plans should be retracted immediately. They also reiterated that settlements are illegal under international law and said earlier Israeli delays on building in E1 had been linked to international pressure. Concerns Over Peace ProspectsThe statement said the move came at a time of heightened instability in the West Bank, citing unprecedented levels of violence by settlers against civilians and further restrictions on the Palestinian economy. It said the tendering process would take negotiations further from peace and would also undermine Israel’s standing internationally. Several governments and Palestinian representatives have warned that the E1 project would damage prospects for a two-state solution. They argue it would effectively split the West Bank and leave east Jerusalem more isolated. UN Warns Of A Threat To ContinuitySeparately, UN Secretary General António Guterres said the E1 plan posed an “existential threat” to a contiguous Palestinian state. Belgium’s foreign minister also issued a similar warning. Earlier on Thursday, UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband voiced condemnation of the plans. Israel’s foreign minister rejected the criticism, calling it outright. Tender Details And Wider ContextDespite legal challenges, including a case brought by Bedouin Palestinians in the area and by Israeli peace groups, Israel’s housing ministry issued tenders for construction on Wednesday. The tender covers 1,234 of the 3,401 housing units approved by the Israeli government last August. The development would cover about 12 sq km (4.6 sq miles) between east Jerusalem and the settlement of Maale Adumim. RELATED Israel Opens Tenders for 1,200 West Bank Homes When the plans were unveiled, Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, described by critics as an ultranationalist and settler, said the prospect of a Palestinian state was being removed. The deadline for bids is 19 October, only days before Israel’s general election on 27 October. That timing, according to opponents, could make it harder for a future government to reverse any tenders already issued. Israel has built around 160 settlements containing about 700,000 Jewish residents since it captured the West Bank and east Jerusalem in the 1967 Middle East war. Palestinians say the land is needed, alongside Gaza, for a future state. An estimated 3.3 million Palestinians live alongside the settlements. International criticism has not stopped successive Israeli administrations from allowing settlement expansion. Growth has accelerated since Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu returned to power in late 2022 leading a right-wing, pro-settler coalition, and since the start of the Gaza war following Hamas’s attack on 7 October 2023. Opponents of E1 have said the project would block a Palestinian state by cutting off the north of the West Bank from the south. They also warn it would prevent the development of a connected urban area in the centre linking Ramallah, east Jerusalem and Bethlehem. Join the discussion? 21 August 2026
View full article
Create an account or sign in to comment