Visa On Arrival - Another Stupid Question!

Hi, I need help!!!

I have read a lot of the posts on the site, but I still haven't been able to figure out what I need to do. Although I qualify for a "Residence Permit in the case of Retirement for Person who is 50 years or Over", I did not know this BEFORE I left the United States, and therefore, here I am, holding a Visa on Arrival, which expires in 5 days!!! I have to go back to the U.S. in March for a short business trip anyway, during which time I intend to apply for the "O-A" Visa; my question is, what should I do between now and March 10th, when I am planning to go back, (and then return immediately).

Do I:

1) Go to the Immigration office here in Bangkok, and throw myself, (well dressed), at their mercy, and beg for an extension, or

2) Just bite the bullet, and plan on making two Visa runs between now and March 10th?? If this is the only option, being new, (and stupid), do I just need to get on a plane to Cambodia, (or some other nearby country), make a round trip, and then get a new "Visa on Arrival" - or do I hire a professional "Visa Run" agency to help me out?? If I should hire an agency, where do I start looking for a reputable outfit??

It was my mistake for not doing my research before leaving the U.S. - so if the easiest solution is to just cough up the money for two round-trip plane tickets, and IF this will solve my problem without any hassles, then I don't mind - I just need help and advice on IF this idea will work, or IF I need to hire a "Visa Run" agency??

I appreciate anyone's patience in helping me - I just can't seem to find the right answer - I did read the advice about avoiding the "Gambler's Run" bus, as it is better suited for "professional/seasoned" Visa runners, which I obviously am not.

Coguard

If you have the pension/income (65k per month) why not get on a discount airline to Penang/Kuala Lumpur/Singapore/Hanoi to obtain a visa. If lucky you can obtain a non immigrant O single entry to apply for retirement. If unlucky you can obtain a tourist visa. In either case you can then visit immigration with embassy letter/proof of pension and extend your stay for one year and have it taken care of.

Hi, I need help!!!

I have read a lot of the posts on the site, but I still haven't been able to figure out what I need to do. Although I qualify for a "Residence Permit in the case of Retirement for Person who is 50 years or Over", I did not know this BEFORE I left the United States, and therefore, here I am, holding a Visa on Arrival, which expires in 5 days!!! I have to go back to the U.S. in March for a short business trip anyway, during which time I intend to apply for the "O-A" Visa; my question is, what should I do between now and March 10th, when I am planning to go back, (and then return immediately).

Do I:

1) Go to the Immigration office here in Bangkok, and throw myself, (well dressed), at their mercy, and beg for an extension, or

2) Just bite the bullet, and plan on making two Visa runs between now and March 10th?? If this is the only option, being new, (and stupid), do I just need to get on a plane to Cambodia, (or some other nearby country), make a round trip, and then get a new "Visa on Arrival" - or do I hire a professional "Visa Run" agency to help me out?? If I should hire an agency, where do I start looking for a reputable outfit??

It was my mistake for not doing my research before leaving the U.S. - so if the easiest solution is to just cough up the money for two round-trip plane tickets, and IF this will solve my problem without any hassles, then I don't mind - I just need help and advice on IF this idea will work, or IF I need to hire a "Visa Run" agency??

I appreciate anyone's patience in helping me - I just can't seem to find the right answer - I did read the advice about avoiding the "Gambler's Run" bus, as it is better suited for "professional/seasoned" Visa runners, which I obviously am not.

Coguard

I guess you are one your first Visa exempt, if so, just do two border runs. From Bangkok you can do this twice into Cambodia.

More information regarding visa run services Jack golf: http://www.jackgolf.com/eng/visaService/visaService.asp

and thaivisarun http://www.thaivisarun.com/

Do as Lopburi says.

Fly budget airline to K.L. / Penang ... Just a few thousand Baht return.

Get a single entry 90 day Non Immigrant O. Tell Embassy this is a precursor to obtaining a

12 month retirement extension.

A couple of weeks before the expiry of the 90 day visa apply for the 12 month extension.

I assume you understand the financial requirements of the retirement visa.

Bt 65k per month or Bt 800k in a local bank account.

Make sure you get a Re-Entry Permit (Bt1,000) before flying to U.S. otherwise your Visa will be cancelled.

Whereas you can get an A-O in U.S. the requirements are a bit stricter than if you

apply in Thailand. :o Also you will not get the A-O in America during a

"short business trip" :D

Naka.

Edited by naka

If you have the pension/income (65k per month) why not get on a discount airline to Penang/Kuala Lumpur/Singapore/Hanoi to obtain a visa. If lucky you can obtain a non immigrant O single entry to apply for retirement. If unlucky you can obtain a tourist visa. In either case you can then visit immigration with embassy letter/proof of pension and extend your stay for one year and have it taken care of.

Thank you for your help and advice. I am still confused on one issue - I know I need a letter from the US Embassy verifying my income, probably also should have copies of previous bank statements. What I am unsure about is that all the posts I have read say that the retirement visa type O-A, must be applied for in the country of my residence. But, if I am reading your response correctly, you are saying that if I can get a type O visa in Penang, then, later, I can apply to change it to a retirement visa right here in Bangkok - am I understanding this correctly??

If so, what are the requirements for getting a type O visa in Penang - i.e., what documents should I be prepared to provide, other than the normal photos, passport, and fees??

Also, do you recommend using the NJ BookCentre service to process my application?? I have an email address for them, what I was wondering was if they have a website. I don't really understand what NJ BookCentre has to do with visa applications, so I guess I am just a little confused how they enter the picture, but I have read several posts where they come highly recommended.

Again, thank you for your help,

coguard

The O-A is a pre approved one year visa/extension of stay in one shot and for that you apply in your home country and when you enter you are stamped for a one year stay. This is relatively new and most people have never had an O-A visa.

The other method is to obtain a normal O non immigrant visa and then visit immigration to extend your stay. Very easy and fast. Requirement. if using pension/income is a letter from Embassy and new requirement is to be able to show some supporting documents to immigration to support the letter. You should also have a bank account and a current letter of account balance (to match the amount in bank passbook) but the amount in account is not material if you meet the 65k monthly income requirement. So you visit Immigration, pay 1,900 baht and fill out TM.7 form (which you can download) and you receive a one year extension of stay. Repeat each year at same time.

If you are here on a tourist visa with more than 21 days (even 15) remaining you could get that changed to a non immigrant visa for payment of 2,000 baht and the above extension of stay proof and then proceed with the above as the second step.

The visa agents provide the service for about what you normally pay for taxi service so many people use them. You can talk with them but as your case is not the normal married situation believe you may have a better chance yourself to obtain the non immigrant type. But as said above all is not lost even if you end up with a tourist visa but it would be 2,000 extra baht and more paperwork. If you have a bank account here that might help, or proof of your income. As this is a gray area there is no set requirement that I know of so suspect you personally explaining is the best option.

The O-A is a pre approved one year visa/extension of stay in one shot and for that you apply in your home country and when you enter you are stamped for a one year stay. This is relatively new and most people have never had an O-A visa.

The other method is to obtain a normal O non immigrant visa and then visit immigration to extend your stay. Very easy and fast. Requirement. if using pension/income is a letter from Embassy and new requirement is to be able to show some supporting documents to immigration to support the letter. You should also have a bank account and a current letter of account balance (to match the amount in bank passbook) but the amount in account is not material if you meet the 65k monthly income requirement. So you visit Immigration, pay 1,900 baht and fill out TM.7 form (which you can download) and you receive a one year extension of stay. Repeat each year at same time.

If you are here on a tourist visa with more than 21 days (even 15) remaining you could get that changed to a non immigrant visa for payment of 2,000 baht and the above extension of stay proof and then proceed with the above as the second step.

The visa agents provide the service for about what you normally pay for taxi service so many people use them. You can talk with them but as your case is not the normal married situation believe you may have a better chance yourself to obtain the non immigrant type. But as said above all is not lost even if you end up with a tourist visa but it would be 2,000 extra baht and more paperwork. If you have a bank account here that might help, or proof of your income. As this is a gray area there is no set requirement that I know of so suspect you personally explaining is the best option.

Thanks again for your quick response. I have emailed NJBookscentre, just to see what services they offer - there were several good comments on them in some other threads. I am just waiting for their response before booking flight to Penang on Air Asia for next week - I need to know how long this process takes, so that I can buy the correct airline ticket. I have already opened a bank account here, with a minimal balance. I am unclear as to how the US Embassy here in Bangkok can issue a letter of income verification - I guess they have to trust the documentation that I will later have to provide?? Either way, that is down the road a ways.

Is there anything special I have to take to Penang to get my Visa?? Do they want proof of income in the US?? Do they require a return ticket to US???

Thanks again,

coguard

All you need is photos and fee to get the visa (believe they also require photocopy of first page of passport now). Having proof of money might help them decide to issue a non immigrant visa so good to have.

The US Embassy provides a pre printed page where you fill out your income/pension and you then sign it and they notarize the signature. Immigration may want to see some kind of paperwork to support the Embassy document but the Embassy does not review it.

This is the best advice. Avoid the 30 day stamper routine.

You can extend your 30 day VOA for 7 days if you are pressed for time now for 2000 baht.

It would also be a good idea to open a bank account here as soon as possible so when you go home it's simple matter for setting up money transfers.