What tea do you drink in Thailand? Add cardamon to your black tea.

ghworker2010

Are you so called tea aficionados really making tea with tea bags? I suppose they are something to try when the tea runs out, but really - tsk tsk!

For those who prefer real tea then you can buy Waitrose loose leaf black tea from the food hall in Central Festival. You can also get Lanna Assam, Indian and Ceylon loose leaf teas as well.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a kid I added milk or Carnation milk but now I drink Red Rose (orange peakoe - a type of black tea) from Canada before my smuggled bags run out. Two people, two bags, don't stir, steep for 10 minutes, no milk or sugar, refill pot with hot water after the first pour, 3 decent mugs each, good stuff. English breakfast tea bought here requires a 15 minute steep.  My mom had a mantra, 'one for each, one for the pot' - might try that again.

Don't have a tea cozy for the loose stuff.

Cheers

Edited by NewGuy

2 hours ago, fantom said:

For those who prefer real tea then you can buy Waitrose loose leaf black tea from the food hall in Central Festival. You can also get Lanna Assam, Indian and Ceylon loose leaf teas as well.

Loose tea is just too much hassle in the office where I shift 3 or 4 pots (yes pots) per day.

Back home, I'm just too lazy.

Ok, I'm too lazy, period!

Loose tea is just too much hassle in the office where I shift 3 or 4 pots (yes pots) per day.

Back home, I'm just too lazy.

Ok, I'm too lazy, period!

Loose tea takes too long , teabags are the future ( and have been for a long time ).

Stopping with my dad for the last 2 weeks in Yorkshire I’ve just done a rough calc and we’re drinking 7 or 8 cups a day each !! , but then again we are both retired and living the life of leisure. Back in LOS I have 1 or 2 cups a day .

On 10/27/2017 at 4:55 AM, cliveshep said:

Tesco Red Label brand,

I cannot say if it applies to this product, but the Tesco stores in Malaysia carry quite a few of their products their stores in LOS do not, such as a variety of Tesco biscuits.  Not a tea drinker myself so couldn't say, but if you need to do a visa run, or looking for an excursion...

On 28/10/2017 at 9:55 AM, sammieuk1 said:

Sainsbury's earl grey own brand cupboard full . 

Earl grey is the ultimate marketing con. I worked for a tea company who were not alone in using poor quality teas because it was disguised by the strength of the bergamot oil . But hey it’s worked on you!

My Thai wife loves her "English" tea in the morning (yes, I am a pom), PG tips in triangular bags or Assam/Ceylon with a touch of honey - to cut down on sugar - and some milk.  I prefer Darjeeling, less strong but good colour and more flavour which I drink with neither sugar nor milk.  We are only here part of the year and so bring supplies with us although M&S has decent tea although it is expensive unless there is a sale.  As most of our time when not in Thailand is in the USA we stock up whenever we go back to UK.  However Trader Joe now has an own brand Irish Breakfast Tea which is pretty decent (I know this is in USA, not in LOS). 

Someone asked about Lipton tea.  I find that the Lipton available here is weak and almost tasteless whereas Lipton in India is very drinkable.

Black tea leaves, such as those used to make Thai tea, contain antioxidants that act as catechins that may help prevent cancer. the catechins found in the tea have anticarcinogenic properties that reduce the risk of cancer developing in the pancreas, small intestine, stomach, liver, bladder, oral cavity, colon, esophagus, prostate, lungs, skin and mammary glands. The higher the concentrations of the antioxidants to specific areas, the better the results of the cancer-preventive actions were received.

Rather surprised that no one seems to have mentioned Raming Tea from Chiang Mai.

Available all over Thailand.

Perfect, first thing in the morning and also excellent poured over ice.

For milky British style tea nothing beats Brooke Bond Red Label. Available in Makro (some of them)

and also (but more expensive) online from Lazada.

Rather surprised that no one seems to have mentioned Raming Tea from Chiang Mai.
Available all over Thailand.
Perfect, first thing in the morning and also excellent poured over ice.

For milky British style tea nothing beats Brooke Bond Red Label. Available in Makro (some of them)
and also (but more expensive) online from Lazada.

I also like the Raming Green Jasmine Tea ( see post #42 ).
Great taste and smell, cheap and readily available at Big C.

• 1 month later...

Following on from my post on Tesco Red Label tea I brought with me from the UK (I only had 18 x 480 bag boxes) and being a typical 10 cup a day English black tea addict I was pleased to see in Tesco in Suwintawong (BKK near Minburi) that they actually have Red Label tea bags. They are in twin-pack 80 bag boxes only BUT it's a promising start. Price 90 baht so not cheap by comparison to the UK that was around a fiver for 480 but if I run out of those I can still feed the addiction. 

Meanwhile Tea Bags and all varieties of OXO cubes are on my kids packing list, (including the girl or boy-friends they bring with them) as a condition of their holiday accommodation here. One large box of beef and one large box of Chicken OXO cubes plus 1 box of 480 Red Label tea bags and Daddy will welcome you. 

The OXO cubes are for my wife, She discovered them in the UK, prefers them to Knorr cubes she buys here.

DSC00424.JPG

On 27/10/2017 at 6:55 PM, cliveshep said:

I am a POMmie as you call us although I don't come from Pompey - naval slang for Portsmouth, the home port of much of the Royal Navy, but from about 200 miles North.

I brought about 18 boxes of 480 tea-bags over when I moved here 2 years ago, packed in our container. Tesco Red Label brand, fairly similar to PG Tips but cheaper. What you probably call "black tea". When I have my kids and their significant others visit a requirement is they each bring a box of 480 Tesco Red Label tea bags and 2 boxes of Oxo 18 cubes for my wife (these last are a beef or chicken stock cube my Thai wife treasures).

I drink a lot of tea, just cannot get my head around the fact that milk is more expensive here than the exorbitant price of petrol in the UK. But milk does taste better in tea LOL.

But I LOVE my cuppa!

This is the good shit! 

20171226_093627.jpg