' No Sex Before Appropriate Age,' PM Advises Youth

george

what is the legal age in thailand? 13?14?15?16? to have sex

Per my post 15 if it is a regular relationship, 18 if you pay for it.

I saw it in black and white (translated) that for falang its 18 years old and if your a thai national 16. Unfortunately i forget the url link.

I saw it in black and white (translated) that for falang its 18 years old and if your a thai national 16. Unfortunately i forget the url link.

and 12 if you wear a brown uniform

But if you pay, that is prostitution and prostitution is illegal. How does that work?

Stickman did a bit on it and I even think there is a thread on it. There are a few places on a site that spell out the law, and another that lists the age of consent for each country. I don’t have them book marked by I think you could google it easy. Also on Dave the Rave’s website he has a piece on “Thai face” and how the relationship money thing works in Thai society, it is a very good read.

If you are a farang and you have sex with a Thai national under the age of 18, you better have a good lawyer. And "not knowing" is not a defense in court. If you are going to have sex with someone who looks young, have them produce an ID card. Otherwise, the humping you're getting ain't worth the humping you are going to get.

How disappointing that the PM should waste this opportunity to pointlessly lecture the nation's brightest kids. What a strange view of the world he must have. Here are some very high-achieving young people and all he can come up with is don't copy farangs by having sex before marriage. What was the thought process behind choosing this topic. If he is truly worried, he should start closing some of the massage parlours where plenty of under-18's are available.

How disappointing that the PM should waste this opportunity to pointlessly lecture the nation's brightest kids. What a strange view of the world he must have. Here are some very high-achieving young people and all he can come up with is don't copy farangs by having sex before marriage. What was the thought process behind choosing this topic. If he is truly worried, he should start closing some of the massage parlours where plenty of under-18's are available.

"Social values in each different society are not the same," the premier said. "Western culture does not greatly value the virtue of virginity." :o:D

.................and what's the going rate here then, b600?

Who writes these speeches? Where's the research and statistics. What was the story about Thai teenage pregnancies last year?

I love this country but sometimes you just have to shake your head at the level of wanton self delusion that prevails.

But if you pay, that is prostitution and prostitution is illegal. How does that work?

Buying and selling sex isn't illegal in Thailand, running a brothel is.

Here is a quote from Wikitravel: http://wikitravel.org/en/Bangkok#Prostitution

The age of consent is 15 but a higher minimum age of 18 applies in the case of prostitutes.

Technically, some aspects of prostitution are illegal (eg soliciting, pimping), however enforcement is liberal and brothels are commonplace. It's not illegal to pay for sex or to pay a "barfine" (a fee the bar collects if you want to take an employee away).

I think if he doesn't encourage the children to practice safe sex, if they have sex, then his leadership skills are questionable. If he is that out of touch with what is really happening then he should not have been given the responsibility he currently has. Sounds like he bases his leadership on opinion rather than fact.

He missed a great opportunity to save many lives with giving good, practical advise to the youth of Thailand and he blew it. I hope his other responsibilities are not managed in the same manner as he displayed here. If so, then we really can't expect much from his time as prime minister.

I am sure he didn't just discuss this subject only, it would be interesting to see a verbatim transcript of his speach. I bet all that was reported was the sensationalist aspect. Sex sells.

If he spoke to an elite group of students about this topic only then there are troubled times ahead, I somehow fail to believe this is 10% of his speech. It is easy to pick up on though.

To me, the way to deal with this "Western Culture" issue of bad influence, is to deal with it the same way a few other select issues are dealt with.....

All clearly western foreigners on Thai TV should be heavily pixelated to avoid showing them and what they do. This leaves the issue of the multitude of worshipped Half-Thai people on Thai TV. Fortunately in this digital age, the level of pixelation can be controlled as a percentage. So, you match the percentage of obscuration with the percentage of western genetics.

This, and further restrictions on Visas and VOAs should take care of the problem, or at least reduce it significantly. View the progress on gun crime, smoking and drinking.

:o

kenk3z

To me, the way to deal with this "Western Culture" issue of bad influence, is to deal with it the same way a few other select issues are dealt with.....

All clearly western foreigners on Thai TV should be heavily pixelated to avoid showing them and what they do. This leaves the issue of the multitude of worshipped Half-Thai people on Thai TV. Fortunately in this digital age, the level of pixelation can be controlled as a percentage. So, you match the percentage of obscuration with the percentage of western genetics.

This, and further restrictions on Visas and VOAs should take care of the problem, or at least reduce it significantly. View the progress on gun crime, smoking and drinking.

:o

kenk3z

Crazy isn't it. Iv'e been watchin Thai TV with the wife tonight.

We;ve had two women dressed as schoolgirls fighting and shrieking. An old man lusting after them to that insane one note at a time bon tempi music (apologies to musicians throughout the world) that tonight sounded like the theme tune from the wombles.

We had a program showing Thai kids how to pronounce english words. It was so bad, only my wife knew what he was saying most of the time.

So, apart possibly from the wombles theme music, I can assure the Government and in Particular, the Ministry for Funny Uniforms, Moral Panic and Culture, that there was no Western Influence at all for them to worry about and they can confine themselves to wondering <deleted> is happening to Thai TV.

Watching a lot of Thai TV is a cruel and unusual punishment! I'm straying off topic so let's get back to the speech. "Western culture" as meant by Thais is actually their very far removed concept of Western Culture gleaned from Hollywood movies and titbits given out by Thai HiSos on Thai TV. One of the core beliefs is that everyone is shagging everybdy all the time. This is encapsulated in the Thai phrase "fee sek" = free sex. Those with a cosmopolitan background who know better are being mischievous in allowing these myths to continue. It may well serve their purpose and/or their racism to do so though.

Or they could simply stick the nation's head in the sand. :o

So, apart possibly from the wombles theme music, I can assure the Government and in Particular, the Ministry for Funny Uniforms, Moral Panic and Culture, that there was no Western Influence at all for them to worry about and they can confine themselves to wondering <deleted> is happening to Thai TV.

:D

Watching a lot of Thai TV is a cruel and unusual punishment! I'm straying off topic so let's get back to the speech. "Western culture" as meant by Thais is actually their very far removed concept of Western Culture gleaned from Hollywood movies and titbits given out by Thai HiSos on Thai TV. One of the core beliefs is that everyone is shagging everybdy all the time. This is encapsulated in the Thai phrase "fee sek" = free sex. Those with a cosmopolitan background who know better are being mischievous in allowing these myths to continue. It may well serve their purpose and/or their racism to do so though.

hel_l, if that were the case there'd be very few farang in Thailand... Can't they sass that out? :o

And what has prostitution to do with anything? Prostitution is a job. A necessitiy, to make a living. In order to pay everything you need in life. Thailand has prostitution, thats a fact and it is a completely different thing, simply a job...even somewhat respected in some parts of the country as I have heard. That is becuase, well, it brings a lot of money. Its a choice they make, or are forced by their families. Plain and simple. And when the premier will open this topic, then you can make statements about that.

Free sex is different. And yes, the West HAS affected Thailand.

There, wikipedia is the source of facts:

Prostitution has existed in Thailand for a long time. As early as the 16th and 17th centuries, prostitution was described in reports by sailors visiting Thailand (then called Siam).

Now think, was the youth of Thailand that much freelance about sex in 16 centuray? I don't think so, since they were only dependant on their families, and had no tv, radio, and other modern rubbish. Girls had the word of their mothers!

You guys here really cannot think properly. I mean....dooh, you all lost your virginity at the age of 14, right? :o Well bravo to you all, great masters of love making :D I bow to all of you.

You dont get it do you. Today's youth is nuts. I see little girls here at the age of 4 wearing thongs, at the age of 11 wearing make-up and at the age of 13 having continuous sex. And not normal sex, but completely numb, without feelings and some random guys they meet in parties. That is sick. I just heard, that a girl, here at the age of 16 was doing three men in a party(on the goddamn dancefloor) , then joined them into woods, guess what followed.

Youth around the world, has no culture, no appretiation, no respect towards themselves. To have sex as soon girls have their first period, is becoming a standard. If you haven't had sex from the age of 14-17, you are simply an outlaw, a freak towards the rest of your lot. Ofcourse, not to mention, the fact that it is done by some random guys. :D

Ah, don't even know why I bother...who from you lot will get it anyway?

I completely agree that the PM, chose this topic and spoke of that...someone finally did. :D Why wouldn't he?

And what has prostitution to do with anything? Prostitution is a job. A necessitiy, to make a living. In order to pay everything you need in life. Thailand has prostitution, thats a fact and it is a completely different thing, simply a job...even somewhat respected in some parts of the country as I have heard. That is becuase, well, it brings a lot of money. Its a choice they make, or are forced by their families. Plain and simple. And when the premier will open this topic, then you can make statements about that.

Free sex is different. And yes, the West HAS affected Thailand.

There, wikipedia is the source of facts:

Prostitution has existed in Thailand for a long time. As early as the 16th and 17th centuries, prostitution was described in reports by sailors visiting Thailand (then called Siam).

Now think, was the youth of Thailand that much freelance about sex in 16 centuray? I don't think so, since they were only dependant on their families, and had no tv, radio, and other modern rubbish. Girls had the word of their mothers!

You guys here really cannot think properly. I mean....dooh, you all lost your virginity at the age of 14, right? :o Well bravo to you all, great masters of love making :D I bow to all of you.

You dont get it do you. Today's youth is nuts. I see little girls here at the age of 4 wearing thongs, at the age of 11 wearing make-up and at the age of 13 having continuous sex. And not normal sex, but completely numb, without feelings and some random guys they meet in parties. That is sick. I just heard, that a girl, here at the age of 16 was doing three men in a party(on the goddamn dancefloor) , then joined them into woods, guess what followed.

Youth around the world, has no culture, no appretiation, no respect towards themselves. To have sex as soon girls have their first period, is becoming a standard. If you haven't had sex from the age of 14-17, you are simply an outlaw, a freak towards the rest of your lot. Ofcourse, not to mention, the fact that it is done by some random guys. :D

Ah, don't even know why I bother...who from you lot will get it anyway?

I completely agree that the PM, chose this topic and spoke of that...someone finally did. :D Why wouldn't he?

So what has all that to do with western influence? You seem to make some rather stretched associations.

Prostitution in Thailand started as a result of the end of the slavery class circa 1900. The rich class still needed sex and the poor class still needed money. This is roughly quoted from a Thai history book sitting on my shelf right now (references and quotations available if there's interest). Before that time, there wasn't as much prostitution as we would recognise it, because instead there was slavery.

But none of this really has to do with generic attitudes towards sex in Thailand. I wonder if Thailand was so Victorian before Western influence- certainly emphasis on covering the female body & "modesty" came from the introduction of Western attitudes; why not this hypocritical Victorian attitude towards sex?

I agree that kids need to be watched carefully to prevent unwanted "accidents," but most parents can't really afford to watch them all the time. Better to make sure they're well-educated and prepared in case parents aren't around- that means safe sex and prophylaxis has to be discussed in the "before marriage" context.

"Steven"

Every woman in this country i talk to of age over 20 declares itself 'old'. No wonder they start so soon.

Do you consider lady, a sex object? :o

Maybe u r hanging around only with Isaan ladies who work in the bars. Go out n find a nice, decent girl n u will change ur views. :D

I think that some Thai girls are way too proud of themselves. Especially, the Thai/Chinese ones, they act very strange whenever a foreigner appears near them to say something. The so-called 'hi-so' girls here, but I'd personally say they ain't very hi-so with that attitude. :o

Edited by Thug

As I understand it the technical age of consent is 15, BUT

you lay yourself open to a charge if kidnapping if the other party

is under 18 and the parents are not aware of the relationship.

However I have a feeling they moved the goal posts somewhere along the line

raising the age for prostitution to 21. These seems to be the age limit for

youngsters who frequent bars???

As another poster mentioned, this is rather odd as I thought prostitution was illegal at all ages?

I think if he doesn't encourage the children to practice safe sex, if they have sex, then his leadership skills are questionable. If he is that out of touch with what is really happening then he should not have been given the responsibility he currently has. Sounds like he bases his leadership on opinion rather than fact.

He missed a great opportunity to save many lives with giving good, practical advise to the youth of Thailand and he blew it. I hope his other responsibilities are not managed in the same manner as he displayed here. If so, then we really can't expect much from his time as prime minister.

Yes I am sure he will be a crap prime minister because he told kids it is better not have sex when you are a teenager. What was he thinking? Next he will be advising them it is dumb to get rip roaring drunk everyday when you are 15. Clearly he needs to be replaced right away.

Lets get Chuwit (massage parlor guy) in there right away he will set these youth straight, hel_l he will give them a job to at his businesses.

Edited by lingyai

Tekstilna, thank you for being a perfect example of my point. You seem to believe Westerners are having sex often, with multiple partners and in an irresponsible manner. I understand this is a widely held belief. Please tell us why you believe this. It's not true. Believe me. I lived in the West for 20 plus years.