' No Sex Before Appropriate Age,' PM Advises Youth

george

'Don't indulge in sex before appropriate age,' PM advises youth

BANGKOK: -- Thai Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont has advised young men and women who are still minors to refrain from sex until they are of an "appropriate age" as well as making their own living under the principle of His Majesty the King's self-sufficiency philosophy.

Addressing 750 outstanding youngsters representing youth across the country on Thursday ahead of the upcoming National Children's Day on Saturday (January 13), Surayud said that Thai youth should not follow the example of western culture in all things.

Especially regarding sex, he said, suggesting that the nation's young people should listen to their parents -- who usually come up with decent advice -- that as minors young men and women ought not to indulge in sex but should wait until the "right" time comes.

"Social values in each different society are not the same," the premier said. "Western culture does not greatly value the virtue of virginity."

Decent Thai girls are supposed to be reserved with regard to sex, the prime minister said, while Thai boys should be gentlemen, not seeking to make sexual advances against the opposite sex, without resentment.

In another highlight of his speech, the prime minister advised youths to apply the self-sufficiency philosophy initiated by HM the King, as a practical guide to living their lives. By adhering to the principle of this philosophy as well as the decent Thai values, he assured, Thailand's young people will succeed in their lives and thus benefit society as a whole.

--TNA 2007-01-11

Is is the fault of western culture again?

No mention of the Japanese influence? No mention of the influence of Thai owned brothels/karaoke bars that are everywhere?

Well I guess at least the brothels put a value on virginity. :o

Of course they do, don't you see that:

- Decent Thai girls do not work in those places

- Horny Thai boys can visit those places, thus they don't have to pressure their decent girlfriends into sex so quickly

Thus, those places help decent Thai girls to maintain their virginity :D

There is nothing wrong with saying this. It is good advice for all teenagers.

There is nothing wrong with sex, but there are consequences that come with it and possible problems.

It is right to ridicule people who are against teaching kids about sex and how to be safer but that doesn't mean one can't also advise abstinence.

I think the Junta PM has more issues to worry about than teenies shagging. :o

Right....did the PM also tell the youth that it is perfectly 'normal' to have more wives ? :D

After all, the CNS/Government should give a good example...

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/12/31/pol...cs_30022963.php

"Multiple wives just 'personal' business"

""I have six wives while the CNS chief has only two, so it is nothing to talk about," he said."

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

It is right to ridicule people who are against teaching kids about sex and how to be safer but that doesn't mean one can't also advise abstinence.

This is called parental domain, not the govt. Yes - its a good thing for teenies not to prematurely shag, but if they are let's make sure they protect themselves from disease/unwanted pregnancy.

Let's get realistic - how old were you when you first shagged? I think most would say in their teens. :o

Edited by britmaveric

When will adults ever learn that if you request 'restraint', which means 'NO' to a young person, especially a hormone-charged teenager, if produces the opposite effect.

There should be some scientific law that describes it better - 'Effort employed by adults, especially the more remotely connected or relevant to young people, equates to the exact opposite of such effort expended by those people!' ie: more illicit sex!

It is sad that once again 'Western culture' is held up for ridicule (what is 'Western culture' exactly? Does that include Australia, New Zealand, South Africa?). The Japanese, and Koreans for that matter are hardly prudish, and are often quite 'adventurous'!

No, I don't think its good advice.

There is nothing wrong with sex before marriage if you ask me.

I even think it is advisable, I mean, do you want to marry someone who you never had sex with?

Maybe she is totally disastrous in bed, imagine that ...

Getting some experience as well as fun is never bad.

Let them kids have fun. If they feel they are ready for it, and well informed about the good as well as the bad sides, they got my blessing, as long as they use 'protection'.

And there is your responsability as an adult.

To inform and promote safe sex, condom use ... with other words : to be REALISTIC and practise harm reduction, aim for the least negative side effects

cause all this abstince talk/pressure is not only completely useless and a waste of energy, it is even dangerous:

- because it DOES NOT lower sexual activity amongst the target group

- because it DOES lower condom use and safe sex practise, as everything goes 'underground' --> higher STD and pregnancy amongst teens

No, I don't think its good advice.

There is nothing wrong with sex before marriage if you ask me.

Getting some experience as well as fun is never bad.

Let them kids have fun. If they feel they are ready for it, and well informed about the good as well as the bad sides, they got my blessing, as long as they use 'protection'.

And there is your responsability as an adult.

To inform and promote safe sex, condom use ... with other words : to be REALISTIC and practise harm reduction, aim for the least negative side effects

cause all this abstince talk/pressure is not only completely useless and a waste of energy, it is even dangerous:

- because it DOES NOT lower sexual activity amongst the target group

- because it DOES lower condom use and safe sex practise, as everything goes 'underground' --> higher STD and pregnancy amongst teens

Who said no sex before marriage? I am talking about teenagers who are under 18 or 16. So just becuause a teenagers thinks they are ready means they are?? (yeah right).

While promoting abstince WITH OUT teaching safer sex metheods might lower condom use, how does teaching safer sex metheods and promoting abstince make someone less likely to use condoms?

Also a previous poster said this is parents job not the gov't, that would be nice, but they don't always do their job in this area, and it effects the rest of society.

BANGKOK: -- Thai Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont has advised young men and women who are still minors to refrain from sex until they are of an "appropriate age" as well as making their own living under the principle of His Majesty the King's self-sufficiency philosophy.

Addressing 750 outstanding youngsters representing youth across the country on Thursday ahead of the upcoming National Children's Day on Saturday (January 13), Surayud said that Thai youth should not follow the example of western culture in all things.

Especially regarding sex, he said, suggesting that the nation's young people should listen to their parents -- who usually come up with decent advice -- that as minors young men and women ought not to indulge in sex but should wait until the "right" time comes.

"Social values in each different society are not the same," the premier said. "Western culture does not greatly value the virtue of virginity."

Decent Thai girls are supposed to be reserved with regard to sex, the prime minister said, while Thai boys should be gentlemen, not seeking to make sexual advances against the opposite sex, without resentment.

In another highlight of his speech, the prime minister advised youths to apply the self-sufficiency philosophy initiated by HM the King, as a practical guide to living their lives. By adhering to the principle of this philosophy as well as the decent Thai values, he assured, Thailand's young people will succeed in their lives and thus benefit society as a whole.

--TNA 2007-01-11

And also a bill just passed by the Government allowing a girl who is engaged to demand financial compensation from her fiance for having sex with her [Nation 10 January In Brief column ]

--TNA 2007-01-11

What a tragic situation for Thailand -- the Prime Minister addressing 750 of the nation's most outstanding young people -- and a major focus of his speech is SEX!!!!!! How about challenging these outstanding young people to find cures for cancer or develop a successful vaccine for bird flu? Instead a major focus of his remarks is about SEX?????? This is disgraceful. The nation's best youth should be challenged to achieve greatness, not to decend to the nation's lowest common denominator. For those of us who love Thailand and the Thai people, I despaired when I read the Prime Minister's remarks. I'm afraid he has the vision of a toad and the sanctity of a defrocked monk with a case of the clap.

I think the Junta PM has more issues to worry about than teenies shagging. :o

Right....did the PM also tell the youth that it is perfectly 'normal' to have more wives ? :D

After all, the CNS/Government should give a good example...

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/12/31/pol...cs_30022963.php

"Multiple wives just 'personal' business"

""I have six wives while the CNS chief has only two, so it is nothing to talk about," he said."

LaoPo

Oh that's classic... they were right to re-introduce the "Amazing Thailand" slogan! :D

Quite sad that a PM would be talking about this--as opposed to more important things. Also sad that he should bring the monarch into the conversation with the 'self- sufficiency economy' stuff. I mean some of these young ladies could be quite self-sufficient!

The basic point is that it has nothing to do with Western Culture (or Thai culture), it has nothing to do with "doing it because they are told not to." It doesn't matter if sex is spoken about openly or never discussed. It's a natural urge driven by hormones and happens everywhere.

Every culture, society and country struggles with the same issue of preventing unwanted pregnancies, unmarried mothers etc. to some degree or another. This is because it is the basic purpose for which we live--to procreate. Once we stop living for that purpose we will go extinct.

Young people need to be advised of this and many things, like: Don't run with scissors; brush your teeth; look both ways before crossing the street....

I just think the PM should have more important things to discuss.

Especially regarding sex, he said, suggesting that the nation's young people should listen to their parents -- who usually come up with decent advice --

that as minors young men and women ought not to indulge in sex but should wait until the "right" time comes.

He need to think before speaking....

Young men and women are not necessarily minors. :D

Who is he to decide when is the RIGHT TIME :o hormones will do that. :D

Decent Thai girls are supposed to be reserved with regard to sex, the prime minister said,

while Thai boys should be gentlemen, not seeking to make sexual advances against the opposite sex, without resentment.

:D :D

The generally hostile reaction to General Surayud's comments on this forum simply underlines the rather narrow spectrum of Thai society from which most posters apparently gain their experience of this country.What the PM was doing was completely unexceptional given the nature of his young audience, namely the articulation of a traditional aspect of Thai culture.While it is true that Thailand has always had a more natural and I believe healthier attitude towards sex than the West, it has not traditionally been a particularly promiscuous culture.Certainly among well brought up girls of upper and middle class background, virginity at marriage would have been the norm.Unfortunately the universal hypocrisy with regard to males tended to apply.Having said that, the social climate has changed in the last thirty years and the PM's remarks may have been more aspirational than anything else.

But I certainly don't condemn him for making them.It's important that Thais retain a connection with their traditional culture, and if in this instance compliance may not be very realistic, it's nevertheless important that leaders remind young people of what's honest, decent and true.

As it stands today the age of consent in Thailand is 15 and 18 if you are paying for it.

Around the world the age of consent laws are meant to protect young adults as their bodies and hormone flow matures before their mind. Many young girls don’t understand the long term consequences if they get pregnant at an early age.

However nature’s laws differ from man’s laws. Until recently before effective medicine the life expectancy of humans was about 50 years. Nature provided by allowing the ability to procreate around 13 or 14 years of age. That allowed humans to survive. There is even a bit of a battle going on between evolution and society. The more stress in peoples lives the longer it takes to mature sexually. In situations of excessive stress, menstrual cycles will even stop and sexual desire will fade in both male and female. This is natures way of saying that it is not the right time to have a baby. Because in general with today’s modern conveniences stress is generally lower and sexual maturity comes sooner. It will be a while before our evolution catches up.

However here it comes back full circle to the parents teaching their children. Stopping sexual desire goes against nature and at best is a losing battle. The focus should be on educating children at an early age about sex including both the good and the bad about it. Children should at least understand the concepts by age 9 and be fully aware by age 12. If parents can’t because they are too embarrassed then taking their children to a professional to explain is the next best thing. That goes way past saying use a condom.

Telling them to just refrain falls short of the mark big time.

As it stands today the age of consent in Thailand is 15 and 18 if you are paying for it.

Around the world the age of consent laws are meant to protect young adults as their bodies and hormone flow matures before their mind. Many young girls don’t understand the long term consequences if they get pregnant at an early age.

However nature’s laws differ from man’s laws. Until recently before effective medicine the life expectancy of humans was about 50 years. Nature provided by allowing the ability to procreate around 13 or 14 years of age. That allowed humans to survive. There is even a bit of a battle going on between evolution and society. The more stress in peoples lives the longer it takes to mature sexually. In situations of excessive stress, menstrual cycles will even stop and sexual desire will fade in both male and female. This is natures way of saying that it is not the right time to have a baby. Because in general with today’s modern conveniences stress is generally lower and sexual maturity comes sooner. It will be a while before our evolution catches up.

However here it comes back full circle to the parents teaching their children. Stopping sexual desire goes against nature and at best is a losing battle. The focus should be on educating children at an early age about sex including both the good and the bad about it. Children should at least understand the concepts by age 9 and be fully aware by age 12. If parents can’t because they are too embarrassed then taking their children to a professional to explain is the next best thing. That goes way past saying use a condom.

Telling them to just refrain falls short of the mark big time.

Your point, to the extent I understand your drift, is that "stopping sexual desire goes against nature". To a considerable extent this is correct, but the disciplining of desire is what distinguishes man from beast.Without that discipline there is nothing to stop various forms of sex crime for example.How that discipline manifests itself will vary considerably across time and culture.

I don't think General Surayud was telling his young audience "just to refrain", simply reminding them of the benefits of abstinence until they are ready.Frankly I would rather my children listen to the advice this decent Thai gentleman than the admonitions of various farang drifters.

John K is right on target. I certainly don't mind the PM making this point. My concern is that perhaps he could be addressing issues more appropriate to a PM with these bright students.

In the past while, it appears that their are some real areas of concern in the country. Maybe as a PM he could address these and leave morality to the parents.

Sounds like another bone being thrown to the right-wing loonies- along the same lines as the drinking age of 25 years, the ban on alcohol advertisements, no-sell hours for alcohol, etc., etc.

Agree with the above opinion that "just say no" just doesn't work. More sex education, more condoms, more involvement by parents in their children's lives, and then again more condoms would be the best practical approach.

"Steven"