Coffee Shops

Billfo

Chiang Mai is a great place to enjoy a nice cup of coffee.

These are some of the shops that market domestic coffee.

Cafe Wawee has about 5 branches, Niman soi 5 or 9, another on the main road, one at JJ market, one at Suriwong book center,

Also Doi Tung and Doi Chang coffee. Doi Tung is also at JJ market (aka Kham Tieng). All are comfortable places with good coffee.

In my opinion, all are better than Black Canyon, and are more Thai than Starbuck's.

Plus there are lots of little individual coffee shops scattered around. Maybe some other members can recommend their favorites.

As I like a nice cup of coffee in a morning, can anyone recommend a really good coffee shop, I know there is Black Canyon and Starbucks, but are there any better ones?

Cheers

Well, I think you would not want to travel for a coffee, but for Huay Kaew Road I can recommend the next one on the right side to the Huay Kaew Residence.

Good taste and they serve it with a cup of tea aside, for 35 baht ...

Like the taste better than at the one at the entrance of the Mall....

By chance I found another excellent place at Nimmahemmin road, named "Kitiam". Same side like Hotel Amari Rincome, 200 meters down the road. Very tasty coffee... they call it "nyongan style" .... for 20 baht....

If you Google, "Best Coffee, Chiang Mai", the Libernard Cafe comes up on top.

It is in a tiny soi very close to the original Mike's Hamburgers ( walk from Mike's - on the same side of the street - just a little towards Thapae Gate and keep your eyes peeled for signs) and Joe Cummings of Lonely Planet fame and his sidekick the well-repected palm reader The Amazing Dennis highly recommend it. They both seem to know a lot about coffee, so it is worth a look. :o

As I like a nice cup of coffee in a morning, can anyone recommend a really good coffee shop, I know there is Black Canyon and Starbucks, but are there any better ones?

Cheers

I go to a beautiful coffee shop outside of central CM, called 'Coffee @ Payap', which as the name suggests, is adjacent to the entrance gates to Payap University on the right hand side (coming from SuperHighway), behind Carrefour and the business park.

Fantastic coffee, reasonable prices, friendly staff, good snacks, freshly squeezed fruit juices, nice decor and small garden area. Can strongly recommend.

As I like a nice cup of coffee in a morning, can anyone recommend a really good coffee shop

My advice :

- Buy a coffee machine (from 400 bahts up. Any supermarket)

- Go to Kasem store or Rimping supermarket for Douwe Egberts ground coffees (4 different qualities : Standard (so so), Special (delicious), Premium and Select) and Melita filters.

- Go back home

- Enjoy the best coffee in town.

Edited by adjan jb

• 1 month later...

Coffee seems to be popular topic here (quite rightly!), so let me add my suggestions...

I would second the recommendation for 'Kitiam' coffee shop on Nimmahemmin road. I love the unique tasting coffee they have there and the food there is also fantastic. Coffee and rice with pork for 60bhat ! This place is never busy, which is good in one way but i suspect if business doesn't pick up this place will be gone in six months, given its prime location.

There is also a coffee shop with a wide range of thai and farang food but i forget the name. Go down Moon Muang Soi 9 (from the moat) and take right at the intersection where the pub is and its the last place on the left just before you come back onto the moat. Sorry i don't know the name of this small soi (same soi with the blind massage place). Nice, conservatory type feel to this place. Good range of coffees (strong!), popular with thais and farangs.

Lasty, 'b-bloom' Hatsadhisawee road just before pacific mansions on the left side if you're coming from the moat (about 200m down from moat). Nice, small family run place and again great tasting coffee.

All these shops are very comfortable with indoor and outdoor seating. Unlike most of the chains they have good food and not just cakes etc (except b-bloom) Crucially for me they all have free, fast and reliable Wifi access (the second place charges one off 30bhat fee) and all are small, cheap independently owned places with very friendly staff.

Coffee seems to be popular topic here (quite rightly!), so let me add my suggestions...

I would second the recommendation for 'Kitiam' coffee shop on Nimmahemmin road. I love the unique tasting coffee they have there and the food there is also fantastic. Coffee and rice with pork for 60bhat ! This place is never busy, which is good in one way but i suspect if business doesn't pick up this place will be gone in six months, given its prime location.

There is also a coffee shop with a wide range of thai and farang food but i forget the name. Go down Moon Muang Soi 9 (from the moat) and take right at the intersection where the pub is and its the last place on the left just before you come back onto the moat. Sorry i don't know the name of this small soi (same soi with the blind massage place). Nice, conservatory type feel to this place. Good range of coffees (strong!), popular with thais and farangs.

Lasty, 'b-bloom' Hatsadhisawee road just before pacific mansions on the left side if you're coming from the moat (about 200m down from moat). Nice, small family run place and again great tasting coffee.

All these shops are very comfortable with indoor and outdoor seating. Unlike most of the chains they have good food and not just cakes etc (except b-bloom) Crucially for me they all have free, fast and reliable Wifi access (the second place charges one off 30bhat fee) and all are small, cheap independently owned places with very friendly staff.

It's "Kopitiam" as in the Malay/ Indonesian tradition. Oliang is the name of the fresh coffee, let them know if you don't like it sweet otherwise it will be(very) sweet.