How to live for 4000 baht a month. Not inc rents.

dfdgfdfdgs

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Not that concerned about the opinions of uneducated, primitive savages.

I avoid them all (except the young, pretty females).

The best way to avoid them would be to go... Unless you'd be unable to get young pretty females at home..

Edited by KiChakayan

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28/10/2017 at 6:30 PM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I see these threads every now and again but they are all poor attempts to live frugally.  The below is for one person.

Interesting thought experiment dfdgfdfdgs, try it and let us know how it goes. Maybe you could keep a video diary, stick it on YouTube.

If he's only washing his clothes 3 times a month I guessing he don't use much soap or shampoo. 

8 hours ago, Naam said:

i wouldn't like standing next to him for longer than 7.5 seconds.

I was kind of wondering about that too... In our house, it's just the wife and I.

And we're doing laundry in our washing machine either every day or every other day, mostly because the wife likes to put her outfit in the laundry every time she goes outside and then returns home... :wacko:

But at three times per month for laundry for the OP, I'm guessing, there's a lot of re-wears in there.... :sick:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

5 hours ago, BuaBS said:

4000 B exl rent IS doable . Starvation ? So millions of Thai are starving then ?

Living in LoS with 20.000 ... included rent !

Like MaeJo said , we're NOT immigrants. People around me , earn from me. I don't need to contribute , it is not my country nor am I a burden on Thailand. They still get more money from me being here then if I were not.

Nobody knows my frugality , so no-one can point at me saying: farang keeniaw.

Yo earn FA, my Thai son who left university about 2 years ago earns 40K a month now (he started with 20K), he will have quite a bit more in the coming years.

In your own country you can't survive on that money and over here you live like a nobody too. Waiting for the begging letter when you have to pay a hospital bill.

BuaBS said:

4000 B exl rent IS doable . Starvation ? So millions of Thai are starving then ?

Living in LoS with 20.000 ... included rent !

Like MaeJo said , we're NOT immigrants. People around me , earn from me. I don't need to contribute , it is not my country nor am I a burden on Thailand. They still get more money from me being here then if I were not.

Nobody knows my frugality , so no-one can point at me saying: farang keeniaw.

hats off! may the force be with you. :clap2:

9 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Can't see you winning Masterchef this year. 

Hey you might be onto something.....maybe you should submit a proposal for a cheap charlie master chef reality show on the Food channel....see who can make the best grub on the cheap.  Maybe get Simon Cowell as one of the tester judges.  Can imagine the look on his face when he tries the food in that pic!

Edited by torrzent

11 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

Just came back from business trip to  Denver. I had not been there in 33 years. The growth there has been incredible but the homeless situation very shocking. Hundreds of people camping by the S. Platte river, hundreds.  I'd say for many of the younger set it is a lifestyle choice. Not all the older people are psycho druggies but there is no place for them in the information economy,  $500,000 condos, and craft beer bars. (Way cheaper than Thailand actually!)

Doubt once  getting into that situation many would have money for plane tickets, passports, 800,000 visa/extension deposits an emergency fund, etc. No way out....

Sounds a bit like the old people working at Amazon and living in trailer parks

https://www.wired.com/story/meet-camperforce-amazons-nomadic-retiree-army/

28 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

I wonder what your definition of immigrant is? Don't answer because this should be a new thread, on a SF I don't want to get near to.

Thai immigration  are the ones with the definitions, and they write 'non-immigrant' on my passport every year.

13 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Large Snickers is 25bht in 7-11. Do you actually live out here?

Yes,  for many years, I just don't really look at the price of them.

A large one would be beyond extravagant!

How much is a Hershey's bar?

On October 28, 2560 BE at 7:09 PM, Neeranam said:

I wouldn't think you are the most eligible bachelor in Bangkok.

Especially considering the small amount allocated per month for laundry.

Can't really see why someone would want to "live" this cheaply  assuming you have the money to meet visa or extension financial requirements.

We are very different. Some of us is very rich and easy can afford an expensive lifestyle, at about 90-100 thousand THB per month. 

Some of us need to live on a lower income, at about 15-20 thousand THB per month. 

We are lucky, everybody can maintain a lifestyle at here in according his budget.

Live on  smaller budget, can live in happines, if You no see everyday with hungry eyes the rich men.

1 minute ago, bogozy said:

We are very different. Some of us is very rich and easy can afford an expensive lifestyle, at about 90-100 thousand THB per month. 

Some of us need to live on a lower income, at about 15-20 thousand THB per month. 

We are lucky, everybody can maintain a lifestyle at here in according his budget.

Live on  smaller budget, can live in happines, if You no see everyday with hungry eyes the rich men.

Some of us don't feel the need to spend all we have.

On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 1:12 PM, fiddlehead said:

That's pretty good and I always get some ideas from these threads. 

I understand some people go through ups and downs in life and might have to live as cheaply as possible at times. 
But I think you missed a few: 

Internet? 

Soap, shampoo, shaving cream, coffee, 

Phone?

Snacks? 

Also forgot his monthly Troll Association fees !

Well my car is paid for, that's a good thing. I maintain residences both here and the US on an income of $6K USD and I still have money to save each month. Oh wait, I forgot my fantastic plastic. Those bastards want their money every month too.

Seriously though, I live well and take care of my wife well too on less than $1500 US per month. All these people that think they are going to retire here and live on $150 US per month are the few folks capable of blowing smoke up their own ass. 

***But I think you missed a few: 

Internet? 

Soap, shampoo, shaving cream, coffee, 

Phone?

Snacks? ***

Great items that OP may not use❗️ 

But how about girls or maybe, guys ❗️Not dating either one. ?

There is at least a small cost for that. Or condoms, no condoms❓

I might be a "cheaper Charlie" to some, but this kind of budget is even beyond my imagination. 

On 10/28/2017 at 11:32 PM, geriatrickid said:

Perhaps this should be labeled as the Pattaya Resident's Guide to Imaginary Happiness?

The OP's budget is not realistic because it does not reflect Thailand's own poverty measurements. Depending upon which source one uses, the poverty line income decider is between 2500 and 3500 baht per month. This amount is associated with those who live in  the large communal homes common  in rural areas. A person living on his/her own would need significantly more, pushing the value towards 4,000-5,000 baht.  Nor does the OP's calculation take into account the indirect subsidies can  access such as health care,  quarterly rice handouts, thai pricing , free transport on some days, etc.  Currently 12%+ of the population lives below the  poverty line with the % in the 25%  range in the Northeast. These are also the people who die at an early age.  Conclusion: 4,000 baht is inadequate for anyone who wishes to remain sane and in good health.

Unfortunately, the The budget described by the OP is more likely to be associated with the people who kill themselves either through intentional means or through misadventure such as a drug overdose.

Sorry to say, if one reads the  news and TVF reports, the people who have jumped from buildings , hung themselves, slashed their wrists, overdosed etc. are of two distinct subgroups neither of which is exclusive; 1-They have suffered from a chronic illness and 2-  They have had very limited financial means. The 4000 baht  budget does not allow for the medical insurance let alone decent medical care, nor the contribution to a family unit essential to surviving critical  illness. 

My takeaway from the OP is  that yes, one could survive on 4,000 baht, but one would be  dead relatively fast once the lifestyle took its toll.

Anyway, not my concern, such people are not to be found in the nicer parts of Thailand, nor anywhere in my proximity. And I give thanks for that.

The OP never mentions he pays 200,000 baht per month on rent down on San Luan! ? Then 100k on the Ocean view penthouse in Pattaya and  80k per month on the Chiang Mai mountain view house. Not much left after that. 

Edited by alex8912

2 minutes ago, stevkob said:

How much is it now??

no idea! but to be fair... the purchase power of 300 Baht in the 70s was a multiple of today's Baht. in BKK a clean 4star hotel was 400 Baht, a suite in the old Nana Hotel was 600 Baht, 6 grilled rock lobsters in an airconditioned proper restaurant was 60-80 Baht depending on weight, taxi fare BKK to Pattaya (lasting 3-4 hours) 200 Baht, top shoeshine job 5 Baht and the ladies could converse in a rudimentary English, German and Arabic. those were the days.

25 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

29 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

OP, that's not living on B4000 a month, that's SURVIVING....... but barely. 

Is that for a 31 day month, or a February (not a leap year), incidentally.?

It's for the first 20 days each month. Self induced coma to finish off each month is free. 

Edited by alex8912