How to live for 4000 baht a month. Not inc rents.

dfdgfdfdgs

22 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Your opinion and if affording and drinking it makes me girly, then so be it.  At least I do not have to slum it as anyone living on what is suggested here would be doing.  Be cool dude, I suppose to be a man you have to drink some of the poor quality beers that are now on the market here.

My cellar, (Yes I have one) consists of many high quality wines (Grange Hermitage) and I also have a good collection of whiskies, (Blue Label J W) and others, so definitely  girly. Maybe you should go back to the bar chair you're posting from and practice being manly.  Please have a good day.:wai:

Prefer Macallan myself or a good bourbon (wouldn't touch JW if you paid me, and wouldn't brag about it for sure)......Bailley's is usually consumed as a first alcoholic experience by younger people(mostly female) due to its sweetness and cheap cost(so again it would be considered "slumming" it to use your terminology).  Curious about your cellar though.  What is the ambient temperature and humidity? How do you maintain these?  Most high so places and restos in this part of the world shell out for a wine fridge/cooler for the good stuff.  It sounds like you can afford it so why not get one, instead of going the cheapster route.

Edited by torrzent

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To posts above:

I will agree that purchasing health insurance in Thailand at age 70 may not be feasible. But if by age 70, you have had it in Thailand for 15 or 20 years that is different.

As for the flight back to Australia or elsewhere, you may not be in condition to make it even to the airport in Bangkok unless can arrange for full ambulatory evacuation.

12 hours ago, bazza73 said:

You are assuming they can find work. Technology has eliminated or minimized a lot of formerly well-paid professions.

You seem to have overlooked what I said, "If you have no money and have to live like that, it seems you planned your life poorly." If you were put out of work because of technology, that is poor planning too--why, you could not see things changing in your profession? Besides, there are Walmart greeters, bus boys, and handymen; if you are willing to work.

The only legitimate reason I see for living so cheaply is if you physically cannot work and you have no money; then, you have to live like that, but it still may be poor retirement planning.

It's a totally different story if living cheaply is the way you choose to live; which is what I see in the OPs post. I simply cannot understand wanting to live so cheaply. I like what I want when I want it and how I want it.

9 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I will agree that purchasing health insurance in Thailand at age 70 may not be feasible. But if by age 70, you have had it in Thailand for 15 or 20 years that is different.

At 70 when you become seriously ill, it's time to die.

You are no use to yourself, your family, or the world.

One of my pals recently died age 70, no hospital bills, no warning, died in his sleep.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

2 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Say that when you are age 70. If a serious illness is properly and timely treated, one can have many more healthy productive years ahead.

I don't believe I've every seen a person over 70, living a life I considered worth living.

Productive years? In whose opinion?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I don't believe I've every seen a person over 70, living a life I considered worth living.

Assuming you get to 70, your opinion might change. 80 and up is the new normal.

7 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

How about 2002 Nobel Peace Prize winner former US President Jimmy Carter now age 93.

6 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Prefer Macallan myself or a good bourbon......Bailley's usually consumed as a first alcoholic experience by youngsters(mostly female) due to its sweetness and cheap cost(so again it would be considered "slumming" it to use your terminology)

Not going to waste my time debating with a know all, know nothing, who has to emphasise how manly he is by what he drinks. You really have no idea, do you?  :wai: 

Just now, Si Thea01 said:

Not going to waste my time debating with a know all, know nothing, who has to emphasise how manly he is by what he drinks. You really have no idea, do you?  :wai: 

I like Full Moon Dark (7.5%) wine coolers 30bht a bottle.

After the first one, the taste doesn't matter, and who only has one drink?

4 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

My personal goal is 65 .......... so I'm hoping for another 3 years.

You might want to raise your sights a little. According to some of your posts, you are a bike rider, which is excellent cardiovascular exercise. I'd say 75 is more realistic, unless you have reasons for leaving early.

31 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

To posts above:

As for the flight back to Australia or elsewhere, you may not be in condition to make it even to the airport in Bangkok unless can arrange for full ambulatory evacuation.

True enough. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

4 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I like Full Moon Dark (7.5%) wine coolers 30bht a bottle.

After the first one, the taste doesn't matter, and who only has one drink?

Never tried it but everyone drinks what they find palatable and enjoy. And yes, who only has one drink. :wai: 

31 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

At 70 when you become seriously ill, it's time to die.

You are no use to yourself, your family, or the world.

One of my pals recently died age 70, no hospital bills, no warning, died in his sleep.

Yeah you are the kind of guy who runs clever statistics on samples on one..

29 minutes ago, smotherb said:

You seem to have overlooked what I said, "If you have no money and have to live like that, it seems you planned your life poorly." If you were put out of work because of technology, that is poor planning too--why, you could not see things changing in your profession? Besides, there are Walmart greeters, bus boys, and handymen; if you are willing to work.

The only legitimate reason I see for living so cheaply is if you physically cannot work and you have no money; then, you have to live like that, but it still may be poor retirement planning.

It's a totally different story if living cheaply is the way you choose to live; which is what I see in the OPs post. I simply cannot understand wanting to live so cheaply. I like what I want when I want it and how I want it.

Tetchy this morning? I don't think I've ever said my retirement planning was poor, it's probably better than 90% of the posters on this forum.

Most of the professional positions I used to be in are now occupied by Indians. The bean-counters decided they were cheaper, which is right. What they've missed is the fact most Indian qualifications are worthless crap. I'm now gleefully looking forward to the  time when technology will make the bean-counters obsolete. It's happening as we speak.

I see no reason to live that way either. However, that doesn't mean I lack empathy for those who have to.

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

This Year:

MRI Coil at Bumrungrad : 45000,

Gastroscopy at Bumrungrad: 30000,

HIV PEP at Pulse Clinic: 14000.

2008 4 coronary and 1 aorta bypass 2.3 million Baht

2015 pacemaker implant 1.2 million Baht

2 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

Not going to waste my time debating with a fake hi-so who looks down on those less fortunate from his lowly perch while drinking gut-rot. Why not help the less fortunate instead of gloating about baileys,  fictional"wine cellars" etc

Edited by torrzent

11 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Eating out of the garbage is a great money saver. It's take care of your food budget. 

But I just have two questions: how does anyone think 4000 baht budget per month is "living" ?

Don't you have any ambition in life besides poverty?

My Thai Mil lives on 3,000bht (from me) and 500bht pension, she's the wealthiest woman in her village and totally happy.

5 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

My Thai Mil lives on 3,000bht (from me) and 500bht pension, she's the wealthiest woman in her village and totally happy.

Seems that some TVF posters consider that one can "live" only if one is spending money. Given that most of what people spend money on is unessential and somewhat pointless, if one can live without all the extraneous clutter one could be far more content with life.

The year I spent in Antarctica where the only thing requiring payment was booze, and we all lived the same was the best year of my life.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems that some TVF posters consider that one can "live" only if one is spending money. Given that most of what people spend money on is unessential and somewhat pointless, if one can live without all the extraneous clutter one could be far more content with life.

The year I spent in Antarctica where the only thing requiring payment was booze, and we all lived the same was the best year of my life.

You must have had a great life.

4 hours ago, Goldbear said:

I know a guy living on 8300 baht per month, including rent. He wishes that he had 30,000 a month but he doesn't and never will. 

Edit: He lives in the greater Pattaya area. 

Any idea on what kind of visa he stays here...

One wise enough to be aware that 150 KBaht a month, in Thailand just gives you an "ok" lifestyle. And BTW I am not angry just staggered by the stupidity of this post...

We cut back to spending about 150kbaht/month for two people. It's not as bad as I expected.