How to live for 4000 baht a month. Not inc rents.

dfdgfdfdgs

3 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

In other words some one else paid for you to live in Antartica. And yes well technically you can "live" by just sitting on rock all day and staring at the world for free. But if you actually want to use anything or travel anywhere - then you will find it costs money. 

Like I said before, some people actually aspire to more than just a peasant existance, and thankfully so.

It's because of those go-getters that we have nice things like cars and roads and electricity and internet.

Which makes me wonder, why you're on the internet here burning up all those Bahts in unneccesary and somewhat pointless spending ?

Do you have any idea of what it is like to live beyond the limits of civilization? I think not.

The military are paid to live in war zones too.

If you think living in Antarctica is like living in your world where we pay to rent accommodation and pay to travel to work and pay for food and everything else you have zero idea of the reality. It's not like we had a luxurious house to live in and ate in restaurants, but to even try and explain to someone with your attitude would be wasting my time. There is plenty on the internet about it, though those that work down there in bases now live a very different life to that in the early days.

Suffice to say that living there was so much more amazing than anything anyone never been there could even imagine.

Seems to me you just can't stand the idea of anyone enjoying their life without having to pay for it.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bazza73 said:

A little bit harsh. I think he was talking about Antarctica from the viewpoint of living in a world of staggering beauty, and also forming a team with like-minded people. I understand one doesn't just waltz up and get on the boat, candidates are carefully screened for psychological compatibility and physical ability to deal with extreme

conditions. Perhaps not for everyone; however, I can comprehend how he would have enjoyed it as a challenge, while getting paid to do it.

Yes, travel does cost money. However, travel in Thailand is a lot less expensive than in Australia.

Well you got it half right. Yes indeed, a world of such beauty and awe that no one never been there could even imagine. The saddest thing though, was that many went down only for the money and wouldn't make any attempt to relish the environment. Some never went out of the base and lived sad lives out of a bottle because they were just sad people, wherever they live.

Some, like the US military were not allowed to go outside except on official duties. They couldn't even go skiing. I did feel sorry for them.

However, I have to giggle about "candidates are carefully screened for psychological compatibility and physical ability to deal with extreme

conditions". There is nothing like living in a small space for a year where you can never escape the others- eat together, only one bar- to bring out the hate, and hate we did. I think the team I was with was pretty much split for a great deal of the very long winter, when it is just not possible to live outside for long periods. Very interesting from a psychological perspective. Unfortunately, we were not blessed with a psychologist, and out leader was a complete nutter.

I really don't think physical ability ever came into it, except for those of us that had to work outside. Certainly, some would not have lasted a day outside on their own.

5 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Per some of the above, the late Steve Jobs is a classic example of a guy who knew more than his Doctors. From Wikipedia:

Despite his (cancer) diagnosis, Jobs resisted his doctors' recommendations for medical intervention for nine months, instead relying on a pseudo-medicine diet to try natural healing to thwart the disease. According to Harvard researcher Ramzi Amri, his choice of alternative treatment "led to an unnecessarily early death".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs#Health_issues

Speaking as one mutilated by the medical profession to "extend my life", I salute Jobs for not letting the butchers at him. Sometimes life is not worth it just to be alive.

3 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I know lots of vegan cyclists, most inject B12.

But to stay on topic ... is it cheaper to inject B12 than pills ? :smile:

Injections are more for people that don't absorb the B12 through their stomach . That's why you need a second blood check after a period of taking the pills.

The Thai B12 pills are as expensive as back home ( gov doesn't payback meds like vitamines).

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Speaking as one mutilated by the medical profession to "extend my life", I salute Jobs for not letting the butchers at him. Sometimes life is not worth it just to be alive.

From that same Wikipedia article on Steve Jobs:

Barrie R. Cassileth, the chief of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center's integrative medicine department, said, "Jobs's faith in alternative medicine likely cost him his life.... He had the only kind of pancreatic cancer that is treatable and curable.... He essentially committed suicide." According to Jobs's biographer, Walter Isaacson, "for nine months he refused to undergo surgery for his pancreatic cancer – a decision he later regretted as his health declined".

1 minute ago, JLCrab said:

From that same Wikipedia article on Steve Jobs:

Barrie R. Cassileth, the chief of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center's integrative medicine department, said, "Jobs's faith in alternative medicine likely cost him his life.... He had the only kind of pancreatic cancer that is treatable and curable.... He essentially committed suicide." According to Jobs's biographer, Walter Isaacson, "for nine months he refused to undergo surgery for his pancreatic cancer – a decision he later regretted as his health declined".

No argument there, but I'm talking about something different.

My cancer was treatable and curable too, or I would not be writing this. My point is that the side effects are so bad that I'd rather have not have taken the surgical option. They cut you and then have no interest when one's life is cr** after.

It does not seem that Mr. Jobs would have been treatable without surgery.

BTW my father died from complications following pancreatic cancer surgery. He was told that at age 84 the surgery was risky but, if he did not have the surgery, he would be dead in 6 months and it would be a very unpleasant way to go. He chose the surgery and never came out from the anesthesia.

Edited by JLCrab

6 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

It does not seem that Mr. Jobs would have been treatable without surgery.

BTW my father died from complications following pancreatic cancer surgery. He was told that at age 84 the surgery was risky but, if he did not have the surgery, he would be dead in 6 months and it would be a very unpleasant way to go. He chose the surgery and never came out from the anesthesia.

He chose the surgery and never came out from the anesthesia.

I can't speak for him, of course, but not a day goes by I don't wish that had happened to me.

26 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

But to stay on topic ... is it cheaper to inject B12 than pills ? :smile:

Injections are more for people that don't absorb the B12 through their stomach . That's why you need a second blood check after a period of taking the pills.

The Thai B12 pills are as expensive as back home ( gov doesn't payback meds like vitamines).

No idea, but pills work and I hate injections.

No need to buy any food, just get yourself down to Big C Pattaya Klang, wander around the bakery department and help yourself to the free tasters, also look for the girls promoting fruit juices and other stuff, then nip around to Tesco and any of the other big shops and do it all again :thumbsup: That'll save bundles :smile:

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He chose the surgery and never came out from the anesthesia.

I can't speak for him, of course, but not a day goes by I don't wish that had happened to me.

My father was well enough to play 18 holes of golf at age 84 two days before he died. I think he would say he was pleased with the outcome that he died with no suffering.

I don't of your circumstances and I am not asking. All I will say to others is that some cancers are readily detectable with screenings early on and the treatment is far different in the early stages than the later ones.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, nothing was as great as my year in Antarctica.

Hello there, I spent 14 months on Crozet Islands, as a Scientist. Remains one the highlights of my life. When I was in my fifties I was saying that there were a couple of things dearly would like to do again: one was go back to Crozet or Kerguelen as a station head, the other was having young kids again. Thailand gave me the kids.. So no survival on 4000 Bahts either..

Most guys I know here are living on around 100k a month.  That is for everything nice Apt, motorbike, good insurance policy, eat what you want, go out and have fun, do some travel, girls girls girls.   

They are mostly from the US where the median income now is about $55,000 a year.  

54 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Most guys I know here are living on around 100k a month.  That is for everything nice Apt, motorbike, good insurance policy, eat what you want, go out and have fun, do some travel, girls girls girls.   

They are mostly from the US where the median income now is about $55,000 a year.  

Doesn't sound very efficient, I spend half that and live in a new 3bed/3shower house.

Not to mention 2 sets of university fees + primary school fees.

Car and 3 m/cs.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you have any idea of what it is like to live beyond the limits of civilization? I think not.

The military are paid to live in war zones too.

If you think living in Antarctica is like living in your world where we pay to rent accommodation and pay to travel to work and pay for food and everything else you have zero idea of the reality. It's not like we had a luxurious house to live in and ate in restaurants, but to even try and explain to someone with your attitude would be wasting my time. There is plenty on the internet about it, though those that work down there in bases now live a very different life to that in the early days.

Suffice to say that living there was so much more amazing than anything anyone never been there could even imagine.

Seems to me you just can't stand the idea of anyone enjoying their life without having to pay for it.

Too funny!  Now take a deep breath and calm down.

You're wrong, I'm not resentful of people like you pushing the idea that Thailand is a great place for poor people to come and live off 4000 baht a month......it's amusing, but ultimately it will just lead to more vagabon farangs that will become easily exploited to commit crimes for money. But if you want to continue with your fanciful stories of how surving off the land can work in thailand, then I don't really care one way or another. It's your life.....I'm just being realistic, and 4000 baht a month lifestyle does not appeal to me, so I just recommend others to aim a little higher. Good luck whale or penguin hunting or whatever it is you do in Antarctica for food and heat and clothing. 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well you got it half right. Yes indeed, a world of such beauty and awe that no one never been there could even imagine. The saddest thing though, was that many went down only for the money and wouldn't make any attempt to relish the environment. Some never went out of the base and lived sad lives out of a bottle because they were just sad people, wherever they live.

Some, like the US military were not allowed to go outside except on official duties. They couldn't even go skiing. I did feel sorry for them.

However, I have to giggle about "candidates are carefully screened for psychological compatibility and physical ability to deal with extreme

conditions". There is nothing like living in a small space for a year where you can never escape the others- eat together, only one bar- to bring out the hate, and hate we did. I think the team I was with was pretty much split for a great deal of the very long winter, when it is just not possible to live outside for long periods. Very interesting from a psychological perspective. Unfortunately, we were not blessed with a psychologist, and out leader was a complete nutter.

I really don't think physical ability ever came into it, except for those of us that had to work outside. Certainly, some would not have lasted a day outside on their own.

Oh well, 50% isn't bad. Just shows another reason not to believe everything you see in official print.

My great adventure was going to be travelling on the Trans-Siberian railway from Moscow to Vladivostok. Then I heard from people who had done it what extremes there were in Russian food, toilets and personal hygiene.

55 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Too funny!  Now take a deep breath and calm down.

You're wrong, I'm not resentful of people like you pushing the idea that Thailand is a great place for poor people to come and live off 4000 baht a month......it's amusing, but ultimately it will just lead to more vagabon farangs that will become easily exploited to commit crimes for money. But if you want to continue with your fanciful stories of how surving off the land can work in thailand, then I don't really care one way or another. It's your life.....I'm just being realistic, and 4000 baht a month lifestyle does not appeal to me, so I just recommend others to aim a little higher. Good luck whale or penguin hunting or whatever it is you do in Antarctica for food and heat and clothing. 

I was thinking of counting up the number of erroneous assumptions in this post, then I thought....why bother.

Edited by bazza73

Back to the original topic, 4k/month,

Spent 54bht on minced pork in Tesco Lotus yesterday, made sausage rolls and pork pies. Pigged out on them all day yesterday, just finished the last mouthful. Almost 2 days food for 54bht ........ not so bad.

sausage.jpg

Just now, MaeJoMTB said:

Spent 54bht on minced pork in Tesco Lotus yesterday, made sausage rolls and pork pies. Pigged out on them all day yesterday, just finished the last mouthful. Almost 2 days food for 54bht ........ not so bad.

sausage.jpg

Hey good for you man.

In 3 days they will still be making their way thru your colon. :)

10 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

sausage.jpg

Was that COLD pork pies?

The two abominations of British cuisine - cold pork pie and warm beer. Ugh.

Oh sorry, I forgot cabbage boiled to death. Three.

Edited by bazza73
add

16 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

sausage.jpg

the pastry and other ingredients as well as the baking was free ?

I hope they taste 1000 times better than they look.

Edited by Techno Viking

49 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

the pastry and other ingredients as well as the baking was free ?

I hope they taste 1000 times better than they look.

Pastry costs almost nothing to make, maybe 4-6bht on top of the pork along with 1/2 hour of my time.

Anyway, just put an Apple and blackberry pie in the oven, I'll be having some of that with custard for dinner tonight. Maybe 25bht for 3-4 servings.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

6 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Pastry costs almost nothing to make, maybe 4-6bht on top of the pork along with 1/2 hour of my time.

Anyway, just put an Apple and blackberry pie in the oven, I'll be having some of that with custard for dinner tonight. Maybe 25bht for 3-4 servings.

so it is plain mince pork wrapped in cheap nasty looking pastry ?

On 10/31/2017 at 3:29 AM, MaeJoMTB said:

I don't believe I've every seen a person over 70, living a life I considered worth living.

Productive years? In whose opinion?

My father is 70 yrs old.

He is working full time (by his choice, he likes his job), exercising, going to the beach, traveled abroad 4 times this year. I don't think anyone can claim that its not worth it to live like him.

Same goes to my uncle, 75. Although he is retired already.

As long as you keep yourself healthy, and have some money to spend, you can have a good life even at 75-80.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

"a world of such beauty and awe that no one never been there could even imagine."

Loads of documentaries about that, don't have to imagine.