Speeding Tickets

wgdanson

How does the speeding fine/license ban work? In the past 5 years I have had 8 speeding tickets, caught on camera. The letter with the photo goes to my GFs home as she is the registered owner, but she never drives.

Will SHE get banned?

22 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

In the past 5 years I have had 8 speeding tickets, caught on camera.

Blimey - there but for the Grace of God, etc...   Where do you pick them up? - and how long after the offence does the ticket come? I've been up and down Highway 7 a couple of times in the last months or so, and always wonder if I'll get a ticket because I'm not sure where the cameras are.

Every time I need to go to Bangkok from the North I worry for about a month if I get any tickets as the first time I got the royal flush on the way back all four so now I drive slower but with the speeds on the Asia highway showing as 90 in some areas when it's an empty road it's quite difficult.

Hope I'm not ever in your vicinity when you're pn the road.....8 speeding tickets is an aweful lot?

120 klms is the limit, you must be aware you are going over that...kinda reminds one of the phrase.."driving without due care and attention for other road users"?

Edited by dotpoom

My car is registered at a house i no longer live at or own.

About every 3 or 4 months the person there sends the tickets to where i live now, they go straight in the bin.

As far as i know there is no link between the highway police and land and transport dept when you renew tax etc.....

Been like this for years, yet to have any repercussions. 

555 I will have to remember some of your poster names for vetting on future "The Royal Thai Police are useless" threads...

Of course you guys can also wait until you have a fender bender and...

Edited by VocalNeal

20 hours ago, KittenKong said:

When she does finally get banned you can just get another GF with a clean licence and you're good for another 5 years.

I was busy yesterday and missed this post.

Absolute gold post-of-the-day material.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

About every 3 or 4 months the person there sends the tickets to where i live now, they go straight in the bin.

As far as i know there is no link between the highway police and land and transport dept when you renew tax etc.....

21 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Blimey - there but for the Grace of God, etc...   Where do you pick them up? - and how long after the offence does the ticket come? I've been up and down Highway 7 a couple of times in the last months or so, and always wonder if I'll get a ticket because I'm not sure where the cameras are.

Can you tell us where they are ?

21 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

You'll get a ticket because you are speeding, not because you don't know where the cameras are.

Anyway, that's the way it's supposed to work.

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

Been hearing this for years as well....

Maybe you've missed the slowly growing number of posts from similarly unenlightened, fast-driving members, asking where they need to pay the fine. This in addition to the slowly growing number of posts from similarly unenlightened, fast-driving members who 'inexplicably' get denied their road-tax sticker... until they're informed about the moving traffic violations and having to go pay the fines.

Granted that some regions in some provinces are so far behind that you can carry on as before. If you tend to drive within these 'dark age' regions, then you are onto a winner... just watch out for motorbikes with no tail lights!

But a growing number will get caught on a national highway or otherwise unfamiliar road where the lead-footed hooning one gets away with in Bahn Nork simply isn't the done thing.

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Hope I'm not ever in your vicinity when you're pn the road.....8 speeding tickets is an aweful lot?

120 klms is the limit, you must be aware you are going over that...kinda reminds one of the phrase.."driving without due care and attention for other road users"?

Hello. 8 tickets in 5 years is NOT a lot, especially when you are not shown what the limit is, 120 or 90. All these were got, by camera, on the main highway from Nakon Sawan which in many places is three lanes, but the limit is 90. I have Sygic sat nav which is supposed to tell you the limit, but many times it is wrong. Then there is the motorway Bangkok to Chonburi/Pattaya. What's the limit. You get a sign to say 120 for cars, then before every bridge there is a 90 sign, but nothing to say where it goes back to 120. And all the red matrix signs have said 90 for many years. 

23 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

2 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

Can you tell us where they are ?

Mine were mostly on Nakan Sawan south, three lane highway mostly and  90 limit. i was cameraed doig 118..........................500 Bht

And my initial question was how does the license ban work, not really expecting guys to critcise my driving.                                                                                                                                                      

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Then there is the motorway Bangkok to Chonburi/Pattaya. What's the limit. You get a sign to say 120 for cars, then before every bridge there is a 90 sign, but nothing to say where it goes back to 120.

Spot on. And in addition to that in many places the fixed sign at the roadside says 120, while there are lights saying 90. So are those lights mandatory or advisory? I suspect the former, but I wonder if anyone's had a ticket in one of those sections.

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Hello. I am NOT driving without due care and attention for other road users. In fact it is usually those other users who are not paying attention to me, or others. 8 years driving in Thailand and not a scratch on my car, 40 years in Europe and UK and no incidents whatsoever. If you give me your reg no, I shall stay out of YOUR vicinity.

3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I seem to remember that not so long ago, it was reported that due to people not paying driving fines, the fines would indeed be linked to the DLT.  So, you may find that at sometime in the future, you will be presented with a bill for the fine payments owing, to be paid in full before you can renew your road tax.

However, this being Thailand, who knows!

1 minute ago, Moti24 said:

I seem to remember that not so long ago, it was reported that due to people not paying driving fines, the fines would indeed be linked to the DLT.  So, you may find that at sometime in the future, you will be presented with a bill for the fine payments owing, to be paid in full before you can renew your road tax.

Same people reported that there were reds under the bed...................... so it could be true........

I have paid the fines immediately at the Post Office. So obviously, the fines are linked to the car, and it's up to my GF to shop me for being the driver !

23 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

It's not where the cameras are, it's what IS the <deleted> speed limit.

3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Not true anymore, now there is a national database in place and in theory you will not be able to tax the vehicle until all outstanding fines that are showing on the database are paid. Not sure about getting banned, a friends TGF had literally dozens over the course of a year and was summonsed to attend a highway police station, whereby the station commander gave her a lecture, which ended up being a chat and a feed!

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

It's not where the cameras are, it's what IS the <deleted> speed limit.

Will depend on the type of road and what the highway code has the for the speed limit of that type of road.

General rule of Thumb, though not perfect.

BKK Chonburi Motorway - 120 km/h

Expressways around Bangkok, including the BKK - Chonburi elevated highway - 80 km/h

Dual Carriageways - 90 km/h

Built up areas - 50 km/h

Other roads - 80 km/h

12 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I have paid the fines immediately at the Post Office. So obviously, the fines are linked to the car, and it's up to my GF to shop me for being the driver !

BTW a lot can now be paid over the counter at Krung Thai Banks, if one nearby to you, it is a lot easier and cheaper.

Edited by Mattd

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

Will depend on the type of road and what the highway code has the for the speed limit of that type of road.

General rule of Thumb, though not perfect.

BKK Chonburi Motorway - 120 km/h

Expressways around Bangkok, including the BKK - Chonburi elevated highway - 80 km/h

Dual Carriageways - 90 km/h

Built up areas - 50 km/h

Other roads - 80 km/h

Are you saying that the only placwe you can do 120 is Bkk to Ch Buri? And I shall not be paying to go on the elevated highway if it is only 80, what are you paying for? 

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Are you saying that the only placwe you can do 120 is Bkk to Ch Buri? And I shall not be paying to go on the elevated highway if it is only 80, what are you paying for? 

Fraid so, I do not know of any other road(s) that allows 120 km/h

44 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Then there is the motorway Bangkok to Chonburi/Pattaya. What's the limit. You get a sign to say 120 for cars, then before every bridge there is a 90 sign, but nothing to say where it goes back to 120. And all the red matrix signs have said 90 for many years.

Obviously, if there's a sign indicating a different speed limit then that is the revised limit, if it doesn't 'go back to 120' then the limit is still 90!..as confirmed by the illuminated signs.