Swollen Chao Phraya River prompts preparations in Nonthaburi, Bangkok

webfact

Swollen Chao Phraya River prompts preparations in Nonthaburi, Bangkok

NONTHABURI, 30th October 2017 (NNT) – Rising water levels in the Chao Phraya River have prompted authorities at Nonthaburi Pier to begin setting up a sandbag barrier and to run water pumps throughout the day. 

At Nonthaburi province’s public pier, the Chao Phraya River is almost level with the dock. Waters in the area are estimated to have risen by as much as 30 centimeters in recent days with waves breaching the shoreline during times of high tide.

Authorities at the pier have setup a barrier of sandbags for the time being and installed two water pumps and one water pumping truck, all working around the clock to make sure overflowing water does not each nearby communities. 

Bangkok officials meanwhile have assured residents that measures have been prepared to deal with the swelling Chao Phraya river with the integrity of barriers now being checked and sandbags setup where needed. City officials are monitoring news from the north and coordinating with the Royal Irrigation Department (RID).

Authorities have also been dispatched to check on leaks in barriers reported in some areas and to perform canal dredging to enhance drainage. Units have also been readied to respond where needed by citizens.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-10-30

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

1. I read last week that the govt "guaranteed" that Nonthaburi would not, could not get flooded.

2. I read today that the govt had "won the war" against flooding this year.

Yeah, I think the Generals are already wearing the campaign ribbon for that victory.

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

1. I read last week that the govt "guaranteed" that Nonthaburi would not, could not get flooded.

passes for truth in thailand; bet most thais wouldnt even blink at this

19 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

I went past the trouble spots that were flooded first in 2011.. the ones where the water got the deepest.  Since yesterday its bone dry there. So whatever the junta has done it works. Now you can't totally rule out flooding but for having received the same amount of water as in 2011 the general did a much better job as YL.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I went past the trouble spots that were flooded first in 2011.. the ones where the water got the deepest.  Since yesterday its bone dry there. So whatever the junta has done it works. Now you can't totally rule out flooding but for having received the same amount of water as in 2011 the general did a much better job as YL.

If you say so.

1 minute ago, thaiguzzi said:

If you say so.

I KNOW so I live in the area, i make it my business to check things out after the massive failure of YL that made things so much worse.  I am sure there will always be parts flooded.. that is practically unavoidable. The massive overland flooding is not happening. The river might flood at certain parts that is something that always happens. 

But one thing is for sure around your area it got far harder hit then in 2011 so  its not only volume and messing around with the dams but also where the rain falls. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I KNOW so I live in the area, i make it my business to check things out after the massive failure of YL that made things so much worse.  I am sure there will always be parts flooded.. that is practically unavoidable. The massive overland flooding is not happening. The river might flood at certain parts that is something that always happens. 

But one thing is for sure around your area it got far harder hit then in 2011 so  its not only volume and messing around with the dams but also where the rain falls. 

Yeah, whatever.

We get it.

Everything is hunky dory as long as BKK stays dry.

YL is the Devil Incarnate and Prayut is a Ray of Sunshine.

We get it.

16 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah, whatever.

We get it.

Everything is hunky dory as long as BKK stays dry.

YL is the Devil Incarnate and Prayut is a Ray of Sunshine.

We get it.

No not everything is hunky dory as long as BKK stays dry. I am pleased when I stay dry that is for sure. 

YL is bad.. Prayut is bad too there are no good leaders in this country they are all in it for themselves. 

The level of the Chao Phraya in Nonthaburi has definitely not risen by anything like 30cm over the last several days. In fact I don't believe the river level is any higher at peak high tide than it was a week ago.

If it had done, that would put the river level very close to the peak of 2011.