Air Asia Online Booking Problems

onomataho

I have flown on Air Asia more than a few times with relatively few problems other than a balky website and consistent departure delays. After my most recent attempt at an online booking, I am know convinced they are one of the worst airlines this side of Aeroflot.

In a nutshell, I tried to book a flight online from Bangkok to Krabi for the weekend and was never able to successfully complete the booking. After about eight attempts, I consistently received a "booking error" message, and never a flight confirmation. So I gave up, made about seven phone calls, and changed my plans. About two hours later I received an e-mail confirming the flight and the credit card charge. What the ....?

I immediately telephoned the call center and after a 20+ minute wait, explained the situation to the agent. After she refused to either refund the ticket or allow a change of dates without a 900 baht change fee, I asked to speak with her supervisor. I again explained the problem, told him I was a regular flier, and that I was even holding three paid tickets for future flights. Basically he told me, "tough luck sucker, besides it's only 2600 baht." So much for customer service...

Sure, "buyer beware," but in this case I did not even know I had purchased the ticket.

I know...I know...

I had major problems also trying to book a ticket online with them. That was over a year ago and haven't used them since. Like you, went through the process and then got an error. But I was lucky enough to get through to them on the phone and they confirmed the order, although I think I had to pay some small extra fee for the phone service, plus my cost for about a 30-minute international phone call. IMHO, not worth it for all the hassles in booking, plus no-refund policy, and insane boarding process. I'm much happier to pay the higher price with THAI and be treated properly like all customers should be.

Why don't you try to report the incident to your credit card company. Just tell them exactly what happened and you might get lucky and not have to pay.

Edited by Soju

onamatpho (sorry for speeling you wrongly), we had exactly the same problem, I ended up with three lots of tickets for the same flight. I was furious and went to the office near to Chatuchak. By persistently tapping on their glass door I was let in and then refused to leave when they said there was nothing they could do. (I didn't have a contingency plan for when I needed to pee, they wouldn't have let me in again). In the end I compromised when they said I couldn't have a refund and got two other flights booked then. I do still use them, but I tend to go to a counter.

I have flown on Air Asia more than a few times with relatively few problems other than a balky website and consistent departure delays.

If that's not enough to put you off, what is?

Anyway, if you paid by credit card, (and that is issued by a proper bank), you are perfectly entitled to ask them to cancel the transaction, as the service you paid for was not delivered.

I should add that I used Air Asia once, and whilst I had none of the problems you highlight, I was scared witless by the old aircraft, and vowed that I would never use them again for that reason alone. I believe they are buying newer planes, but I don't know what their current fleet is like. There is of course a reason why they're so cheap.....no such thing as something for nothing.

wow, you guys have had a lot of problems hav'nt you. ?

ive been using them for years and all bookings done by internet. ( no problem)

even flew from bangkok to china with them last year.

had 1 hour delay on that flight and who gives a toss for $100 aud.

i regularly fly from singapore to bangkok for $ 50 so need to keep it in perspective as its cheap as.

anyway, im happy with them.

Never had any problems. Booked flights a couple of days ago when they started their new free flights campaign. The server is very busy so the trick is to check the times of the flights you want and then make the actual booking on the much faster mobile site http:/mobile.airasia.com - which is never overloaded.

I have never managed to complete a booking on their web site, I've always ended up phoning them and paying the surcharge. One time, they even debited my card when I attempted to make the booking, but the booking was not made. It took more than six months to get the money back, iniitially they just denied that they had debited my card. I had to get statement printouts and I don't think I would ever have got my money back if my wife hadn't taken over the negotiation process - eventually she asked them for the address at which legal papers should be served against them and that did the trick.

Never had any problems with the actual flying, and they are cheap.

wow, you guys have had a lot of problems hav'nt you. ?

ive been using them for years and all bookings done by internet. ( no problem)

even flew from bangkok to china with them last year.

had 1 hour delay on that flight and who gives a toss for $100 aud.

i regularly fly from singapore to bangkok for $ 50 so need to keep it in perspective as its cheap as.

anyway, im happy with them.

Also no problem with Airasia but delay,, and sorry guys, but why trying again when something has been wrong after you gave your credit card number? Of course you have ton contact them right away when something went wrong and not try again.

It's THE rule for any online payment.

• 1 year later...

I just tried 3 times to book online and got errors with my (valid) card all 3 times. Called the call center and they said I can book through them but it would be 600 baht more!? Why? I feel like they intentionally have a dysfunctional online booking system so that people will call and pay more to book. Let's see if these "errors" end up showing as debits on my bank card or not.

yep def not user friendly, have a 50% off at mo if ya book midnight to 4am over net!

if i want a quick result, phone em 025159999 then nip next door 7/11 pay cash get a printout on a till with all ya details!

chris

ha, unfortunately there is no 7-11 anywhere near "next door"!

well move!!!

not sure if family mart do it you know girl x, (me bieng selfish and having a 7/11 next door) maybe give em a ring, they are veryhelpfull when you buying, its only when you have bought they turn horrible!!!

chris

I have flown AA all around SE Asia many times and usually have a good experience. Their website can be balky at times but I usually make my bookings okay. I just booked a trip for Penang next week for B 5300 return (net). Can't complain about that...and that includes the B 400 for "express boarding," which I highly recommend.

Early in their existence, they had some old planes but most of the ones I have flown the past couple years are spanking new Airbuses :o For short hops of 2-3 hours, I will take AA if they have a flight there...I am a satisfied customer.

I guess the op should have inquired with customer service when speaking to them on the phone if his internet booking had in fact gone through.

I guess most of the people have no experience with budget airlines anywhere else, otherwise they wouldnt complain like that.

for example: its virtually IMPOSSIBLE to talk to any agent of Cebu Pacific on the phone. if you want to buy a ticket in one of their offices, lets say, Manila (Robinson Malate), you will have to queue AT LEAST 3 hours..... EVERDAY !

other budget airlines let u wait hours on the phone, charging 1 Euro each minute....

other budget airlines will charge u 350 baht, only to accept a credit card booking.....

other budget airlines will charge u for any kind of checked-in luggage, no matter if its just 10 Kilo.....

other budget airlines...... t.b.c.

that said, the original poster's experience with AirAsia for sure isnt nice.... but it could be even worse.....

Touch wood, only 1 minor problem - I booked a long-haul (Gold Coast to KUL) flight and mixed up the dates. It's okay for you guys in Thailand - it's a local phone call to Air Asia.

There is NO local phone number for us Aussies - we have to phone Malaysia to speak with Air Asia Customer Service.

Peter

I have never had a problem with Air Asia, used them with internet bookins and checkin over 29 times.

You people are making your own problems.

You blame Air Asia for your own faults, no arguement.

Make sure what you do is correctly done, no problems.

The booking site is so simple to use, just do as they ask.

Take some responsibilty for your own stuff ups, no sypathy for any of you.

I ahe already commented on OP's trubls.

jonniebkk, Can't complain about that...and that includes the B 400 for "express boarding," which I highly recommend.

Totally agree.

Yes mate, I have used it since its instigation, I like the first row, often nobody else seems to want to sit there, great........ :o

its virtually IMPOSSIBLE to talk to any agent of Cebu Pacific

yes, Cebu Pacific is probably the worst airline I have ever dealt with. Horrible customer support.

You people are making your own problems.

You blame Air Asia for your own faults, no arguement

er, no... their website simply is not working.

Only problem I've had with Air Asia online booking is that their booking for a child does not work, you have to book the child as an adult which is the same fare anyway.

Why pay with a credit card when you can pay at any 7-11 (if the service isn't down again!) or by bank transfer.

If you've been charged 3 times just contact your Credit Card company directly and get them to cancel 2 of the transactions and let Air Asia sort it out with them.

yep def not user friendly, have a 50% off at mo if ya book midnight to 4am over net!

if i want a quick result, phone em 025159999 then nip next door 7/11 pay cash get a printout on a till with all ya details!

chris

What does "at mo" mean? Your abbreviations are cute but often incomprehensible. :o

Edited by toptuan

chris

What does "at mo" mean? Your abbreviations are cute but often incomprehensible. :o

<deleted>...... At the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Prior to me trying to book with AirAsia I had made 3 successful online Credit Card purchases with Tiger and Virgin Blue. Twice I tried to get my booking accepted for the AirAsia tickets and was “declined” both times. I call AirAsia on 025159999 and they were very helpful, found my near complete online booking and tried to get the transaction through but once again it was declined so arranged for me to pay cash at a Kasikornbank at no additional charge.

I was just in the process of phoning my bank in Aust. when I received an email from my MasterCard Security Company asking me to contact them urgently. I did, for whatever reason they were stopping ALL AirAsia transactions and wanted me to verbally confirm what I was doing, once done they lifted the bar, I was then able to call AirAsia and pay for the tickets.

Anyone had a similar problem with AirAsia lately?

No problem recently with booking. It may be the traffic so wait a few hours and try again.

A problem I did have was the error messages are not correct. When booking put your telephone number into the system like you were calling from Malaysia. Use the country code etc.

chris

I think he mean't "at most". Not more than 50 %.

I've booked on the internet with Air Asia dozens of times and never had a single problem. Every time I've flown the plane has been nice and new. And I've only once ever had any significant delay.

It's Nok Air that I've lately been having problems with web booking. Last time, in February, after a tooth an claw fight with their call centre I gave up and booked the flight (to Krabi) with Air Asia. Smooth all the way and in 5 minutes or less I had my flight booked and confirmed.

Some problems with credit card paying seem to emminate from ones own computer.

I have never had a problem with Air Asia.

Trying to pay for accommodation one time, I was given the message, "Payment error"..... sumfin like that.

I tried a couple more times with the same result, gave up went to bed.

Next day, first thing, booking and payment was made smoothly.

Later, out of curiosity, I checked online my credit card entries and found the payments had been debited 4 times ....... sheeeesh.

Immediately I sent an email to my bank, using the bank's secure messaging site.

Later that day the bank's card company, VISA, had replied and said they would get three of the payments reversed.

It took about a week, but absolutely no hassles.

My computer at home is not the fastest, and at the time only 250 Megs RAM.

On restarting next day, the memory that was being used elswhere in my machine had been dissapated, so all fresh, no problems.

Since upgrading to 1gig RAM, no problems.

It appears memory, or lack of, was my problem, give it consideration if you run into such problems again.

Try closing down, not rebooting, and try again.

Good onya VISA.

Air Asia, my prefered LCC carrier.

Using Thai to get to Swampy, I once tried NOK, Thais' LCC effort.

Noway, no more, wotta hassle.........

Edited by Zpete