Kevin Spacey apologizes after actor says he was subjected to sexual advance when only 14

snoop1130

Kevin Spacey apologizes after actor says he was subjected to sexual advance when only 14

By Chris Michaud

2017-10-30T051522Z_1_LYNXMPED9T089_RTROPTP_3_AWARDS-TONYS.JPG

(Reuters) - Kevin Spacey apologized on Sunday to fellow actor Anthony Rapp for a 1986 incident in which Rapp said Spacey made a sexual advance to him when Rapp was only 14.

Spacey said in a post on Twitter he was horrified to hear Rapp's story of the encounter, which he said he did not remember. He wrote that he owed Rapp a "sincere apology" for what he said would have been "deeply inappropriate drunken behavior."

In an interview with BuzzFeed, Rapp described attending a party hosted by Spacey in which the actor picked him up, brought him to a bed and lay down on top of him after other guests left.

Rapp, who said he had the impression Spacey was drunk, pushed him away and left.

Spacey, 58, who has won Oscars for "The Usual Suspects" and "American Beauty," also said Rapp's story "has encouraged me to address other things in my life."

"I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I now choose to live life as a gay man," Spacey wrote.

"I want to deal with this honestly and openly," he said, "and that starts with me examining my own behavior."

The actor for years had declined to address rumors about his sexuality.

Rapp, who went on to star in the Broadway musical "Rent," was starting his career on Broadway at the time of the incident.

Spacey, a Tony Award winner for “Lost in Yonkers," stars in the Netflix political drama “House of Cards.” He also served for 10 years as artistic director of London’s Old Vic theater company.

Hollywood and some top U.S. companies have been rocked in recent weeks by allegations from scores of women that executives had sexually harassed them.

U.S. movie mogul Harvey Weinstein has been accused by numerous women of having sexually harassed or assaulted them in incidents dating back to the 1980s, including some who said they were raped.

Weinstein denies having non-consensual sex with anyone. He has since been fired as chief executive of The Weinstein Company, which he co-founded and which has been one of Hollywood's most influential forces since its launch in October 2005.

(Reporting by Chris Michaud; Editing by Paul Tait and Martin Howell)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-30

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

He apologized and next statement will be his in a program for sex addiction

1 year and it's like it never happened. That's how it works in the USA

The American equivalent of a good Wai ...

Clearly a right wing plot to take down the nation's first female president.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/netflix-pulls-plug-house-cards-190801019.html

I really like Kevin Spacey's body of work and I think he is extremely talented. I do not know if this incident was a "one off" or part of a larger pattern of behaviour.  Too bad for all concerned including we fans.

All the Hollywood actors that does not want to talk about their private lives are gay , most of them . So no surprise here. They protect their privacy to continue earning millions .  

Now Spacey will be left with stupid roles in B-movies and no more big earners for him . 

6 hours ago, Gracas said:

That's what guys say when they are caught walking with a Ladyboy.

It's the small price the liberal Hollywood elite pay vs the trial, incarceration, and lifetime reporting anyone else would have to...    Any sensible person simply refuses to be preached to by Hollywood elites, spoiled brat pro athletes, and wingnut pols.  Their issues and misdeeds are the not-so-new normal.  I predict Spacey will continue to do quite well, and likely as a director/producer as well as an actor.   He'll probably even run for something at some point.

11 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

Hollywood idiots are in meltdown, to think they had the audacity to preach to us.

Nice deflection coming out as gay now but this has squat to do with being gay he's another Hollywood elite predator.

Bye bye career - creep

He’s one of the greatest actors on the planet & his impressions are second to none. Your career will be long over before his ever will be!

ByeBye Luckysilk

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

Clearly a right wing plot to take down the nation's first female president.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/netflix-pulls-plug-house-cards-190801019.html

I really like Kevin Spacey's body of work and I think he is extremely talented. I do not know if this incident was a "one off" or part of a larger pattern of behaviour.  Too bad for all concerned including we fans.

I've enjoyed Spacey's work too, House of Cards in particular, but this might be a preemptive move for the next skeleton to burst out of his 1980s closet of forgotten advances and moist encounters. 

48 minutes ago, balo said:

All the Hollywood actors that does not want to talk about their private lives are gay , most of them . So no surprise here. They protect their privacy to continue earning millions .  

Now Spacey will be left with stupid roles in B-movies and no more big earners for him .

He could run for President of the United States.  Why not?  Seems qualified. :laugh:

Well, he's a great actor so if this ends his career that would be a shame for the public. 

On the charge against him, which it seems to me he has basically admitted to by not denying it, it's probably beyond legal consequence especially considering it was rebuffed.

But Spacey is now in the dog house among fellow gay people.

First he was in the closet for so long which is somewhat understandable career-wise but much less so than in the past.

So he chooses to come out as gay only when forced to by a pedo charge, seemingly as a deflection.

That is really awful. 

They are separate issues. 

He has handled this very poorly. 

1 hour ago, SpicyMeatball said:

He’s one of the greatest actors on the planet & his impressions are second to none. Your career will be long over before his ever will be!

ByeBye Luckysilk

Greatest actors, you mustn’t get out much.

The gays have turned on him now & rightly so, good luck getting a job spacey with your freak family history and lame drunken excuses.

As for my career, thank God I did something more important than being an actor.

There is such a thing as separating the work of an artist from the man. I hope he can still work.The man is not the same thing as the roles he plays. 

For example, Woody Allen. He's made some great movies, and also some quite boring ones. Some won't watch any of his movies because of some sleazy stuff in his personal life. I think that's silly. 

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, he's a great actor so if this ends his career that would be a shame for the public. 

On the charge against him, which it seems to me he has basically admitted to by not denying it, it's probably beyond legal consequence especially considering it was rebuffed.

But Spacey is now in the dog house among fellow gay people.

First he was in the closet for so long which is somewhat understandable career-wise but much less so than in the past.

So he chooses to come out as gay only when forced to by a pedo charge, seemingly as a deflection.

That is really awful. 

They are separate issues. 

He has handled this very poorly. 

Who didn'r already know Spacey was gayish?

I have no problem how he handled this.   An accusation was made and Spacey had no say over when that accusation would be made.   He apologized, if he did it, which is much, much more than many people have done.  

As far as the coming out, well, it's a little hard to apologize for a sexual advance without addressing the issue of sexuality and not doing so would have kept this in the news cycle much, much longer.   

He is a fantastic actor and I hope his career doesn't take too much of a hit over this.   Personally, I pay little attention to the politics or lifestyles of many of the people in the arts.   

Rapp was 14(1971); Spacey would have been 25 ish; both gay at the time. Spacey didn't appear in a  movie until 1987 so wasn't some powerful older actor fiend.  The 'entertainment' gays are much more leeway in their sex than other folk; I'd give Spacey a pass on this one from 1985. Probably was inappropriate, but I don't know all that much about homosexual mores.

Seems a bit crazy spacey would even say anything. Who would bother with a 30 year old story he said she said. .admitting it could end house of cards darn it.

Unless this is just the start.

Must be more too it than meets the eye.

So many gay famouse men out there. Its not a issue to be gay. But a ped is another story all together.

Seems a bit crazy spacey would even say anything. Who would bother with a 30 year old story he said she said. .admitting it could end house of cards darn it.
Unless this is just the start.
Must be more too it than meets the eye.
So many gay famouse men out there. Its not a issue to be gay. But a ped is another story all together.
Netflix canceled the series already.

Looks like he will be consulting with Mel Gibson about early retirement

"For two hours, the pair chatted, held hands, cuddled, stroked, and massaged each other hidden behind a rock in Oakland Memorial Park near Topanga, close to where Spacey grew up. Says an eyewitness: “It was a very intimate rendezvous. At one point, Kevin’s head was in the boy’s lap and later the young guy put his arms round Kevin and cuddled him ... Let me put it this way—if my wife saw me with another man like that, she would be divorcing me.”

9 minutes ago, punchjudy said:

"For two hours, the pair chatted, held hands, cuddled, stroked, and massaged each other hidden behind a rock in Oakland Memorial Park near Topanga, close to where Spacey grew up. Says an eyewitness: “It was a very intimate rendezvous. At one point, Kevin’s head was in the boy’s lap and later the young guy put his arms round Kevin and cuddled him ... Let me put it this way—if my wife saw me with another man like that, she would be divorcing me.”

Possibly fair to acknowledge that the 'boy' referred to in the quoted text is not the same boy Spacey is alleged to have made advances towards when the boy was underage. Other than it suggests that evidence of Spacey's sexuality has been reported in the media for several years, it is not relevant to this topic.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

I thought it had been out for ages about him being gay. He was arrested on Hampstead Heath years ago, a known gay meet up place

He wasn't arrested but, rather, was allegedly the victim of a late-night mugging, the details of which were somewhat murky, leading to lurid innuendo in the press.