Help with correct gage wire for new house

PeterA

I am in Phimai, where the rules seem to be different, but not sure.

My house is 45 meters from the pole. PEA drops 16 gauge to the meter.

We ran 16 gauge , Not NYY, (can't remember the name,, ends in a W) underground in yellow PVC to the panel inside the house.

PEA today said they want NYY and 25 gauge wire. Which to me makes no sense. I can see NYY, but not the 25 gauge..

What are the requirements that Thailand came up with last December?

Thanks very much for any help

THW in conduit underground is a no no, not rated for wet environments.

NYY is insulated and sheathed and rated for wet environments, Thai Yazaki do it in the smaller sizes (25mm2 is "small").

Do as PEA request or you won't get your permanent supply.

What size meter do you have (or have ordered)? 15/45 or 30/100

On 10/31/2017 at 5:39 AM, Crossy said:

THW in conduit underground is a no no, not rated for wet environments.

NYY is insulated and sheathed and rated for wet environments, Thai Yazaki do it in the smaller sizes (25mm2 is "small").

Do as PEA request or you won't get your permanent supply.

What size meter do you have (or have ordered)? 15/45 or 30/100

We ordered a 30/100.  I can see the  need for NYY, being underground. Trying to justify 25mm2, as the builder will try to give an excuse as to why it is not really needed. Thanks!

We have 16 gauge to the meter and 16 gauge to the house. House was built a few months ago and all passed no problem by PEA.

friends house was built 2 years ago 

16 gauge everywhere all passed by PEA.

just called two electricians and both say 16 gauge is fine and is fully acceptable by the PEA.

maybe you did something to annoy your PEA inspector ??

You really think a builder will fit incorrect cable knowing that you won't get a supply with it?

he wouldn't be in business very long.

9 hours ago, PeterA said:

We ordered a 30/100.

PEA will want 25mm2 for a 30/100.

Thai Yazaki 2 core 16mm2 NYY is rated at 80A in free air so for the 100A supply which you have ordered you need 25mm2.

16mm2 would be fine on the 15/45 meter which most of us have.

By the way, please don't use "gauge" when specifying cable here, you may just get the US size which won't be what you want.

On 11/1/2017 at 8:35 PM, irlguy1 said:

We have 16 gauge to the meter and 16 gauge to the house. House was built a few months ago and all passed no problem by PEA.

friends house was built 2 years ago 

16 gauge everywhere all passed by PEA.

just called two electricians and both say 16 gauge is fine and is fully acceptable by the PEA.

maybe you did something to annoy your PEA inspector ??

You really think a builder will fit incorrect cable knowing that you won't get a supply with it?

he wouldn't be in business very long.

We annoyed the PEA inspector first off, when he wanted 40,000 THB to drop in 4 electric poles. We got a local contractor to do it for 6,000.

The builder would do anything to save a Baht. Cheap cheap cheap.

We annoyed the PEA inspector first off, when he wanted 40,000 THB to drop in 4 electric poles. We got a local contractor to do it for 6,000.
The builder would do anything to save a Baht. Cheap cheap cheap.

So you didn't want to pay the inspector what he was charging to do the job and you paid someone far less to do it and now the inspector is getting pay back.
Seems to me the only one being cheap here is you and now your paying for it.
[emoji23][emoji23]

Typical u try to blame the builder for your rookie mistakes.
Also out of interest did u tell the builder that you were requesting a 50/100 system before he installed the 15/45 system. Considering the 15/45 is the one that's fitted in most houses in Thailand and would have been standard practice for the builder unless you specifically asked for it and had it specified on your scope of works then the mistake is yours not his and it has nothing to do with him being cheap and more to do with you being ignorant of Thai systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/7/2017 at 5:11 PM, irlguy1 said:

So you didn't want to pay the inspector what he was charging to do the job and you paid someone far less to do it and now the inspector is getting pay back.
Seems to me the only one being cheap here is you and now your paying for it.
emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Typical u try to blame the builder for your rookie mistakes.
Also out of interest did u tell the builder that you were requesting a 50/100 system before he installed the 15/45 system. Considering the 15/45 is the one that's fitted in most houses in Thailand and would have been standard practice for the builder unless you specifically asked for it and had it specified on your scope of works then the mistake is yours not his and it has nothing to do with him being cheap and more to do with you being ignorant of Thai systems.

Sounds like you are buddies with the builder. Go figure.

Sounds like you are buddies with the builder. Go figure.

It's of no relevance whether I know the builder or not.
I am reading a thread and going by what you have posted it's obvious that you are the one at fault here. I hate people that try to blame others for their own mistakes.
Facts are these.
1. You tried to be a cheap Charlie with the PEA guy and now it's biting you in the ass.

2. You didn't tell your builder that you were going to put in a higher capacity system and now your trying to blame him for your mistakes.

3. Your slandering him here when it's blatantly obvious that your the one at fault.

You better hope he doesn't read this thread because if he does you will end up with a court case on your hands. Slander is taken very seriously in Thailand and from your attitude I would imagine this is not the first time or place you have done it....

OK, people enough!

I don't think the PEA chap is doing anything untoward, 25mm2 is the minimum size required for a 30/100 supply, period. Particularly long runs need even bigger to avoid volt-drop issues.

Of course, he would have been much happier if you'd gone back and said Xyz can do it for $xxx, can you get there?

OK, people enough!

I don't think the PEA chap is doing anything untoward, 25mm2 is the minimum size required for a 30/100 supply, period. Particularly long runs need even bigger to avoid volt-drop issues.

Of course, he would have been much happier if you'd gone back and said Xyz can do it for $xxx, can you get there?

I agree that the PEA guy is not doing anything wrong but you know how Thailand works. One hand scratches the other.
The thing I take issue with is this guy is obviously the one in the wrong and is trying to blame it all on the builder.
The builder installed the correct cable for a standard house connection. The cable running to the supply is all the same as what the builder has run to the house. Now the guy decides to up the supply and blames the builder for not being psychic.
It's a bit pathetic.

2 minutes ago, irlguy1 said:

The builder installed the correct cable for a standard house connection.

Actually he didn't, he ran THW underground. Yes, it was sized for a 15/45 supply (so there was a communication issue) but it still needed to be replaced.

Anyway, I am going to call time on this, our OP has his answer and there's little to be gained by continuing.

Archived