Carbon dioxide levels grew at record pace in 2016, U.N. says

snoop1130

The best visual about the Paris Agreement is that produced by Climate Action Tracker who, if not out-and-out activists, are certainly concerned about efforts to limit temperature rises to under 2C in the medium term.

They assess each country's CO2 limitation pledges compared to what they think would be needed to meet the goal.

climate_action_small_zpsmhkwzer1.png

The grey countries are regarded as Critically Insufficient, the red ones as Highly Insufficient, the orange ones as Insufficient.

Hardly a ringing endorsement of the agreement.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

The best visual about the Paris Agreement is that produced by Climate Action Tracker who, if not out-and-out activists, are certainly concerned about efforts to limit temperature rises to under 2C in the medium term.

They assess each country's CO2 limitation pledges compared to what they think would be needed to meet the goal.

climate_action_small_zpsmhkwzer1.png

The grey countries are regarded as Critically Insufficient, the red ones as Highly Insufficient, the orange ones as Insufficient.

Hardly a ringing endorsement of the agreement.

Except, of course, what this map doesn't show is that china and india, among others are already way way ahead of schedule.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jillbaker/2016/07/20/good-news-from-china-coal-has-peaked-and-emissions-will-begin-falling-after-2020-2022/#7f812717905c

http://climateactiontracker.org/countries/india.html

1 hour ago, RickBradford said:

@  ilostmypassword

Long may your delusions continue.

If the world's influential people are similarly deniers of the failure that the Paris Agreement represented, then the future for fossil fuels is very bright.

As was noted tearfully at the time by Friends of the Earth, Action Aid, Oil Change International, 350.org, Climate Tracker, Oxfam, and even dear old Bernie Sanders.

The Paris Agreement was so bad that a great many commentators regarded the later US withdrawal as being insignificant. The best summary was by Oren Cass of the Manhattan Institute:  That's the ball game.

I'm a tree hugger and will stand at the front of the line saying the Paris Agreement was flawed.  Yet, it's the only agreement that's been agreed-upon by nearly every country ww.  That, in itself, is an achievement.  Some other issues agreed-upon by all countries:  eradicate Polio and smallpox.  Don't use chemical weapons.  Get rid of land mines.  Agree to meet at the UN.  

When an agreement is flawed, interested parties can get together and try and fix the flaws.  Trump doesn't understand that.  He gets a kick out of being a spoiler.  He's like the 6 yr old bully who never grew up.  Yet, down deep he's a chicken.  He is arguably the worst deal-maker in modern history, when you consider that people (and Trump himself) don't even show up to discuss things.  How can you make a deal if there's no communication?  Sick.

The only proven science is that CO2 concentration is following the temperature ! That's old news.

Total CO2 in the atmosphere is 0.036% !

Total human made CO2 is roughly 4% of these 0.036% !

This means if I pee into the ocean the whole ocean becomes acidic ... that's what your CO2 nonsense actually tries to tell everybody ! Nonsense and scientifically wrong !

It's an ideology !!! And you fools fall for it.

Geo-Engineering is very real ! 

Agenda 2030 is very real and a nightmare to come !

Technocracy is very real and an even bigger nightmare to come !

Stop repeating the main stream propaganda and start to use your ability to think ! And maybe do some reading.

1 hour ago, brain150 said:

The only proven science is that CO2 concentration is following the temperature ! That's old news.

This means if I pee into the ocean the whole ocean becomes acidic ... that's what your CO2 nonsense actually tries to tell everybody ! Nonsense and scientifically wrong !

Stop repeating the main stream propaganda and start to use your ability to think ! And maybe do some reading.

Nonsense, the pre industrial revolution level of CO2 was 280 parts per million. Now it's about 400 parts per million.

On 30/10/2017 at 6:57 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

They just can't resist it can't they "potentially fuelling a 20-metre rise in sea levels "?

It always need to have some kind of the world is doomed twist.

The World is not doomed. The human race is doomed! There r simply too many of us and more and more of us living consumer driven Western lifestyles which the Earth cannot sustain and which is destroying all other species and poisoning everything everywhere with pollution. Anyone who  cant see this must be deaf, 'dumb' and blind! Stop worrying about being overrun by Muslim hordes. It is Climate Change that is going to do for all of us, or most of us. The human race, one way or another is in for a huge cull, and once we are gone this beautiful precious Earth, our only home, will be much better off without us and will recover.

22 hours ago, brain150 said:

A few corrections to your statements and implications as to significance of CO2.

At the beginning of the industrial revolution, CO2 was about 280ppm (= 0.028%) This year it hit 407ppm (= 0.041%) which is a 45% increase in that aspect of our atmospheric insulation.
During 800,000 years measured for the Ice Ages, the CO2 ranged between 180 and 280ppm with humans arriving only for the last 235,000 years. The highs and lows of the CO2 concentrations followed patterns started by orbital variations known as Milankovitch cycles, but the CO2 variations, once triggered are credited with amplifying the resultant temperature swings.

The 127ppm humans have ADDED to CO2 concentrations by our industrial combustion of carbon is already GREATER than the 100 difference between the depths of cold Ice Ages and the warmth of the Inter-glacial periods! Scientists are seeing the amount of Methane and Nitrous Oxide gases (CH4 and NOx) as further aberrations in the prior balances to the Earth System. CO2e (for all greenhouse gases) is currently over 490ppm.

So, take a scale that has a balance between the two sides, and add pressure (more heat absorbed than can escape back to space) to just one of those sides. Do it constantly, over many years and we see that even something as massive as the Earth's surface air and waters show warming. The amount sounds small ... only 0.58 W/m2 but the surface affected is huge. The Earth's energy imbalance come to 4 Hiroshima bombs of energy per second of every hour of every day. 

That is a great deal of imbalance, and the effect of warmer oceans (when upper atmospheric conditions allow) is the formation of larger cyclonic storms. The LaNina conditions of this year had lower upper atmospheric wind shear - and the Atlantic hurricane season has already set records.
https://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/hansen_16/

also
https://skepticalscience.com/4-Hiroshima-bombs-worth-of-heat-per-second.html

I just admire people who quote NASA !!! The biggest hoax institution there is .... makes me laugh.

But I have to admit it sounds very sophisticated. But more like a religion than Science :smile:

All 'models" ... nothing scientific about it.

18 minutes ago, brain150 said:

I just admire people who quote NASA !!! The biggest hoax institution there is .... makes me laugh.

But I have to admit it sounds very sophisticated. But more like a religion than Science :smile:

All 'models" ... nothing scientific about it.

The science of greenhouse gases goes back to Joseph Fourier in 1824 - which predates invention of the telephone.
►[https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Greenhouse_effect.html]

Experimentation of their properties is traced to Eunice Foote in 1856 and John Tyndall in 1858 ►[http://www.climatechangenews.com/2016/09/02/the-woman-who-identified-the-greenhouse-effect-years-before-tyndall/]

It was Svante Arrhenius in 1896 who first linked the thermal consequences of CO2 concentrations to what geologists were learning of Ice Ages
►[https://hubpages.com/education/Global-Warming-Science-And-The-Dawn-Of-Flight]

But it was the US Air Force that studied it in depth when they began work on heat seeking missiles in the 1950s. ... which predates GPS that today's cell phones are linked to.
It's okay to deny the science and call it a hoax. There is a president who calls all this science a Chinese hoax, ... along with labeling news he doesn't like as Fake news (though that title should be written as FAUX News.)

I see such denial of reality as a consequence of a known propaganda campaign started by Exxon (then adopted by the industry s a whole.)It was their management decision to create doubt so as to keep selling their product. Your likely one of the ongoing victims of that FAUX News.

I agree with SunsetT - we are headed for a large cull. The inability of people to face the scientific data and change course is part of the problem. Too many people, wanting too many things from a finite planet - that's what allowed the Exxon campaign to be accepted - it told people what they wanted to hear.

On the day this news came out it was in the middle of the headlines not even at the top of BBC News. Kevin Spacey was hogging the top spot.

Basically the end is nigh is not a very popular news item.

In Taiwan this year it's been consistently hot all year. Lived in Taiwan for decades and climate has really gone screwy the last few years.

EVERY SINGLE MONTH month over the last year or so has broken historical temp records, some have been up 2C on average temps!

Mar

Warmest winter ever (interestingly may be partly due to the Artic oscillation that brought the heavy snow to other parts of the Northern hemisphere )

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3113580

Aug

Longest heatwave ever

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3231627

Sept

Highest Sept temp ever

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2017/09/28/2003679303

Oct

Highest Oct temp ever

http://m.focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201710010008.aspx

Over the last five years it's been one temp record after another. It is not helped by Asian cities being massive concrete heat sinks and air conditioning just moving the heat around.

We've also been hit by a bigger typhoons and sudden rain events as the climate model predicted.

Typhoons are carrying more moisture due to the hotter ocean temperatures.

How much attention has this got in Taiwan? Not much is the answer. You will notice the articles above don't even mention climate change.

For me it is a shocking realisation that we are ALREADY feeling the effects of climate change and they are not pleasant when it's already a hot steamy climate! There's a huge difference between below 35C and above 35C. Above 35C you just cant really do stuff and personally I get skin rashes.

People are just starting to realise climate change is impacting us but there is somewhat of a shrug their shoulders approach to the whole thing.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, brain150 said:

I just admire people who quote NASA !!! The biggest hoax institution there is .... makes me laugh.  But I have to admit it sounds very sophisticated. But more like a religion than Science :smile:   All 'models" ... nothing scientific about it.

NASA is reputable organization, and do a lot of good science.  Just on aspect:  What other organization has put up a telescope (Hubble) and published the photos for free for anyone on the planet to look at?   No other country or organization has come close.  

NASA has done amazing things.  How can you call them a hoax?  

13 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

The moon landing was a hoax!

I assume you're joking (if so, it's not funny).  There are photos taken decades after the moon landings which show traces of prior moon landings.  There is no wind on the moon, so footprints and items left behind (rover, etc.) last a long time.

Let me guess:  the people who hate NASA and who believe in ridiculous conspiracy theories like; there were no moon landings, .....are the same folks who fully support Trump.  It fits.  Trump and his followers are anti-science, and have no problem with air/water/soil pollution.

I assume you're joking (if so, it's not funny).  There are photos taken decades after the moon landings which show traces of prior moon landings.  There is no wind on the moon, so footprints and items left behind (rover, etc.) last a long time.  

Let me guess:  the people who hate NASA and who believe in ridiculous conspiracy theories like; there were no moon landings, .....are the same folks who fully support Trump.  It fits.  Trump and his followers are anti-science, and have no problem with air/water/soil pollution.

The best way to deal with the hoax brigade is just ignore them. Stick to logic and rational discussion with people who are interested in the facts. 

The hoax brigade just want to get their emotions out, political points scoring.

They aren't even interested in research or science.

They'll fade into history pretty soon as reality is hitting us in the face.

18 minutes ago, taipeir said:

Its going to happen sooner than later, a few years of drought combined with population explosion.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/02/climate-change-will-create-worlds-biggest-refugee-crisis

All well and good, except that The Guardian was singing the same tune in 2005, courtesy of the United Nations.....

50m environmental refugees by end of decade, UN warns

Rising sea levels, desertification and shrinking freshwater supplies will create up to 50 million environmental refugees by the end of the decade [2010], experts warn today.

The actual figure was approximately zero, so an embarrassed UN had to disappear the report from their website. Alarmists never die, they simply adjust their timeframe.

They have cried "Wolf" so often that now, nobody with an ounce more sense than a billiard ball is listening to them.

The actual figure was approximately zero, so an embarrassed UN had to disappear the report from their website. Alarmists never die, they simply adjust their timeframe.

They have cried "Wolf" so often that now, nobody with an ounce more sense than a billiard ball is listening to them.

Yes good call. 

BUT...The Syrian war the crisis in Yemen and wars in Somalia and Afghanistan are also related to drought and climate change. We have been seeing those refugees coming en masse already to Europe. Many millions have been displaced internally in the middle East and also in Africa.

Its the intersection of population growth with land that provides less and less food that's the problem. Creates instability , war and famine.

What happens if the sub Saharan region completely dries in a long term drought?

What happen if the Nile dries up in Egypt.(look into Egyptian population growth).

There are going to be incredible masses of refugees in Africa if North Africa and the Middle East dries up even more.

The only question in my mind is where they are going to end up.

^^

Those are legitimate concerns - Europe's refugee problem is not going away, whatever the reasons for the migration.

My broader point is that we only ever hear one side of the story - the alarmist one - from the mainstream media.

For example, have you seen the headline "Global temperature drops 0.5C since last year"? No, and you won't, even though it is true. (HadCRUT figures show global average temp of +1.11C in Feb 2016, fallen to + 0.56C in Sep 2017).

To put it in perspective, that temperature fall is almost as large as the overall rise in temperature over the past 150 years. (HadCRUT estimate in Sep 1867 was -0.103C, in Sep 2017, +0.56C, a rise of +0.66C over 150 years).

This, we are told from the highest levels,  constitutes a crisis so bad that it demands the immediate dismantling of capitalism.

As  Christiana "Tinkerbell" Figueres, executive secretary of the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) , said in 2015: "This is the first time in the history of mankind that we are setting ourselves the task of intentionally, within a defined period of time, to change the economic development model that has been reigning for at least 150 years, since the Industrial Revolution."

There's the real target - capitalism. Nothing to do with "saving the planet".

3 hours ago, RickBradford said:

^^

Those are legitimate concerns - Europe's refugee problem is not going away, whatever the reasons for the migration.

My broader point is that we only ever hear one side of the story - the alarmist one - from the mainstream media.

For example, have you seen the headline "Global temperature drops 0.5C since last year"? No, and you won't, even though it is true. (HadCRUT figures show global average temp of +1.11C in Feb 2016, fallen to + 0.56C in Sep 2017).

To put it in perspective, that temperature fall is almost as large as the overall rise in temperature over the past 150 years. (HadCRUT estimate in Sep 1867 was -0.103C, in Sep 2017, +0.56C, a rise of +0.66C over 150 years).

Rick, I thought you might return to cherry pick data

First off, as to HadCRUT in general - HADCRUT averages hemispheres separately, so they effectively infill empty cells with hemisphere averages. But Arctic areas especially are warming faster than average, and HADCRUT tends to miss this.
Next, you pick a peak month in a powerful El Nino year to compare against a recent moment in a La Nina cycle... nice cherry picking! Yes, the current temps are below the peak of the El Nino. Give people a broader perspective of time - like after the last major El Nino ... then show the trending upward slope.59fbed73a2736_21stCenturyTemps.gif.a3a059aadfa89fb7ee160e50cdfa24c4.gif

If that time frame makes it seem like I've cherry picked, try this land, sea and combined

land-ocean-combined.png

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:27 PM, RPCVguy said:

A few corrections to your statements and implications as to significance of CO2.

At the beginning of the industrial revolution, CO2 was about 280ppm (= 0.028%) This year it hit 407ppm (= 0.041%) which is a 45% increase in that aspect of our atmospheric insulation.
During 800,000 years measured for the Ice Ages, the CO2 ranged between 180 and 280ppm with humans arriving only for the last 235,000 years. The highs and lows of the CO2 concentrations followed patterns started by orbital variations known as Milankovitch cycles, but the CO2 variations, once triggered are credited with amplifying the resultant temperature swings.

The 127ppm humans have ADDED to CO2 concentrations by our industrial combustion of carbon is already GREATER than the 100 difference between the depths of cold Ice Ages and the warmth of the Inter-glacial periods! Scientists are seeing the amount of Methane and Nitrous Oxide gases (CH4 and NOx) as further aberrations in the prior balances to the Earth System. CO2e (for all greenhouse gases) is currently over 490ppm.

So, take a scale that has a balance between the two sides, and add pressure (more heat absorbed than can escape back to space) to just one of those sides. Do it constantly, over many years and we see that even something as massive as the Earth's surface air and waters show warming. The amount sounds small ... only 0.58 W/m2 but the surface affected is huge. The Earth's energy imbalance come to 4 Hiroshima bombs of energy per second of every hour of every day. 

That is a great deal of imbalance, and the effect of warmer oceans (when upper atmospheric conditions allow) is the formation of larger cyclonic storms. The LaNina conditions of this year had lower upper atmospheric wind shear - and the Atlantic hurricane season has already set records.
https://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/hansen_16/

also
https://skepticalscience.com/4-Hiroshima-bombs-worth-of-heat-per-second.html

If I understand your stats properly, the human race is the problem and if the problem is removed the earth will ( or will not, depending on who is correct ) return to what it was before humans existed.

Not a good situation for the human race, as if Gaia exists, she will be looking for ways to remove the problem.

5 hours ago, RickBradford said:

^^

This, we are told from the highest levels,  constitutes a crisis so bad that it demands the immediate dismantling of capitalism.

As  Christiana "Tinkerbell" Figueres, executive secretary of the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) , said in 2015: "This is the first time in the history of mankind that we are setting ourselves the task of intentionally, within a defined period of time, to change the economic development model that has been reigning for at least 150 years, since the Industrial Revolution."

There's the real target - capitalism. Nothing to do with "saving the planet".

As one that thinks capitalism is the worst thing ever visited on the unfortunate poor of the human race, if you are correct and if it resulted in the abolition of capitalism, good result. Unfortunately, what replaced it would probably be worse, as it seems that humans as a whole are incapable of getting anything right.

However, when enough people in positions of power actually do decide it is necessary to "do something", if they declare it a matter of national security and divert all military investment into climate modification it shouldn't take long to sort the matter.

Given human nature I doubt anything will happen, other than a load of conferences and very little action.

15 hours ago, taipeir said:

Yes good call. 

BUT...The Syrian war the crisis in Yemen and wars in Somalia and Afghanistan are also related to drought and climate change. We have been seeing those refugees coming en masse already to Europe. Many millions have been displaced internally in the middle East and also in Africa.

Its the intersection of population growth with land that provides less and less food that's the problem. Creates instability , war and famine.

What happens if the sub Saharan region completely dries in a long term drought?

What happen if the Nile dries up in Egypt.(look into Egyptian population growth).

There are going to be incredible masses of refugees in Africa if North Africa and the Middle East dries up even more.

The only question in my mind is where they are going to end up.

In my opinion the only valid thing you said was "population growth". Overpopulation is the root cause of ALL the problems the world faces.

If nations decide to breed more people than their country can support, that is THEIR problem, not Europe's, except Europe's so called leaders seem to have let emotion trump reason.

Rick, I thought you might return to cherry pick data

You miss the point with such ridiculous ease that I can only think it was deliberate. Actually, I take that back - you simply didn't read my post.

I was deliberately cherry-picking to show how the alarmists operate. If the planet had warmed 0.5C in the last 18 months instead of cooling 0.5C, can you imagine the headlines? Thermageddon, earth is frying, boiling, grilling, on fire, imminent extinction, major crisis, no way back etc etc.

That's exactly what we saw when the El Nino began and temperatures went up quickly. But because it's a rapid cooling, caused by the end of the El Nino, there is not a peep out of the media.

Their supposed agenda -- saving the planet -- has nothing to do with their real agenda, which is to destroy capitalism. If you can't join them, beat them, is their motto.

In my opinion the only valid thing you said was "population growth". Overpopulation is the root cause of ALL the problems the world faces. If nations decide to breed more people than their country can support, that is THEIR problem, not Europe's, except Europe's so called leaders seem to have let emotion trump reason.

Why is climate change not valid? 

Climate change is linked to population growth but it is also a specific problem from burning fossil fuels worldwide.

Its real, it's here and it has serious consequences, as I described it's already very apparent in Taiwan over the last decade.

As for population growth not being our problem it does become our problem because it really is a small world, it's impossible to be isolated from the effects.

On 11/1/2017 at 11:59 PM, RPCVguy said:

I agree with SunsetT - we are headed for a large cull. The inability of people to face the scientific data and change course is part of the problem. Too many people, wanting too many things from a finite planet - that's what allowed the Exxon campaign to be accepted - it told people what they wanted to hear.

I've no doubt as to where we are headed. Sadness at the folly of how we are proceeding, ... but not doubt.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I understand your stats properly, the human race is the problem and if the problem is removed the earth will ( or will not, depending on who is correct ) return to what it was before humans existed.

Not a good situation for the human race, as if Gaia exists, she will be looking for ways to remove the problem.

Depending upon how humans go out, depending upon war, or nuclear waste, or just plain cooking ourselves with too much insulation (lots of other options too) the Earth will reach a balance with its temperature received vs radiated off. What percent of the other life forms will we take down with us? The rate of change now is faster than what killed off 95% of all species during the Permian Extinction, so it is a wild guess the Earth is in for a major reset. Tipping points passed will likely mean a very long time to restore.

In the 60s and 70s people dreamed of the moon, then the stars. The resources for such a leap were instead used for trinkets. We traded Star Trek for Walmart.

17 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

You miss the point with such ridiculous ease that I can only think it was deliberate. Actually, I take that back - you simply didn't read my post.

I was deliberately cherry-picking to show how the alarmists operate. If the planet had warmed 0.5C in the last 18 months instead of cooling 0.5C, can you imagine the headlines? Thermageddon, earth is frying, boiling, grilling, on fire, imminent extinction, major crisis, no way back etc etc.

That's exactly what we saw when the El Nino began and temperatures went up quickly. But because it's a rapid cooling, caused by the end of the El Nino, there is not a peep out of the media.

Their supposed agenda -- saving the planet -- has nothing to do with their real agenda, which is to destroy capitalism. If you can't join them, beat them, is their motto.

Rick, my complaint remains. Look at the long sweep of a century in the lower chart - lots of bumps in the road, but a trend upwards that you are avoiding. Yes, there are sensationalists in the media. They exist on both sides. When words such as imminent are used, their context is still in terms of decades or human lifespans... that the problems that will cause extinction in the next century are appearing now.

Back to decades of recent warming - the thermal inertia of the oceans slows the response, but the insulation already exists to generate the rise in sea levels. That will be bad for coastal city residents, ports, infrastructure, but will still be gradual. I think the effect on food, especially grain crops of the world, will be far quicker and cause much more conflict. Mass crop failures are likely to appear by mid century, even in the USA corn belt. You and I probably won't see the worst of that, but the next generation will.
Try this for a reality check - predating similar reports I've seen lately in other articles, newer studies

Rick, my complaint remains. Look at the long sweep of a century in the lower chart - lots of bumps in the road, but a trend upwards that you are avoiding.

I supposed it has to be spelt out again -- I was not making any point about temperature or climate itself, but about the media treatment of it. Of course the temperature has gone up -- I even helpfully quantified the amount: 0.66C in the 150 years since 1867.

Yes, there are sensationalists in the media. They exist on both side.

That is trivially true. The overwhelming majority of media reports are of the Imminent Thermageddon Earth On Fire Death To the Poley Bears type.

I think the effect on food, especially grain crops of the world, will be far quicker and cause much more conflict. Mass crop failures are likely to appear by mid century, even in the USA corn belt.

You echo the sentiments in this government report:

The economic and political impact of a major climatic shift is almost beyond comprehension. The new climatic era brings a promise of famine and starvation to many areas of the world. The resultant unrest caused by the mass movement of peoples across borders cannot be met with existing analytical tools.

That was written by the CIA, in 1974. Subject: Catastrophic Global Cooling. So forgive me if I remain skeptical of apocalyptic claims. History does not support them.