New legislation Smoke-Free along the beach

webfact

New legislation Smoke-Free along the beach

PNEVN601031001000902_31102017_072517.jpg

BANGKOK, 1 November 2017 (NNT) - Thailand’s Department of Marine and Coastal Resources, part of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, has signed an MOU with other public and private sector members to solve the problem of cigarette butts littering the country’s beaches.

The country’s minister of Natural Resources and Environment, Surasak Kanjanarat, together with representatives from the Ministry of Public Health and the Ministry of Tourism and Sport, came to witness of the signing of the agreement. 

PNEVN601031001000901_31102017_072517.jpg

Surasak said that waste has become one of the biggest problems in Thailand. Therefore, every sector must pay attention to solving this problem together, by being conscious of the environment at all times.

Reducing the number of cigarette butts along the coast is a pilot ‘zero waste’ project on the beaches. Cigarette filters contain various toxins, nicotine and other dangerous substances, which are harmful to marine life, people and the environment.

There are 24 beaches in 15 provinces engaged in this project, including Bangsan in Chonburi and Pa-Tong on Phuket Island. The authorities will work to increase tourist awareness of this new regulation, but the Minister expressed confidence that the measure will not negatively affect tourism.

While smoking is not totally banned on beaches, tourists must now only smoke in the designated areas. These new regulations will come into effect on February 1st, 2018.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-11-01

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

Cigarette filters contain various toxins, nicotine and other dangerous substances, which are harmful to marine life, people and the environment.

Plastic bottles, condoms, needles and bags etc pose no threat whatsoever though.

I don't see the ashtrays or bin in that box. And where's the fan or can we smoke with open door?

If 2 fat sexpats are in it the other smokers will have to wait i guess.

Good reason for me to not go to Thai beaches anymore...Bali is the next holidaydestination.

20 minutes ago, Thian said:

I don't see the ashtrays or bin in that box. And where's the fan or can we smoke with open door?

Good reason for me to not go to Thai beaches anymore...Bali is the next holidaydestination.

Can you imagine what these boxes are going to look like after a million plus smokes are fagged in them!!!

15 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Anyone know what exactly constitutes "the beach"? Is it sandy areas only; does it include sidewalk; the street next to beach?

I'm quite sure that'll be up to the, "butt police" or similar,, or the, "beach police" when they aren't assisting the jet sea scammers in fleecing tourists... 

Smoking is not prohibited on a public road so why would anybody use the box ?

I just stand next to the box and smoke while laughing my ass off all this nonsense !

... but probably all 100% smoking ban will come anyway.

They just think they can "ban" anything they don't like by writing something on a piece of paper.

The sheep will follow though ....

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Good luck with bali. That place is filthy dirty and makes beaches in thailand look like paradise.

Indonesia is a filthy dirty country in any populated location and i go there every year for 6 months. But i only go to the most remote idealic islands where it really is still pristine. Bali is a pit.

Smoking is not prohibited on a public road so why would anybody use the box ?
I just stand next to the box and smoke while laughing my ass off all this nonsense !

... but probably all 100% smoking ban will come anyway.
They just think they can "ban" anything they don't like by writing something on a piece of paper.
The sheep will follow though ....

100% guarantee you will be in the box after your first few fines. And they will fine you. What you going to do, argue with them, call your lawyer?

It doesn't work like that TIT

56 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

Good. Cigarette butts are disgusting and too many smokers just throw them on  the ground. Something needs to be done and not just at the beach.:stoner:

I counted in Krabhi beach in 2014. In one sq.meter an average 9 butts are found. I completely support on this. Only problem is this smoke boxes will be used by Speedboat Somchai's for smoking and finally as a permanent residence. Will there be a light during nights ? Otherwise i can see they will litter condoms....:sleepy:

How about cleaning the beach everyday and not only 1 time a year by volonteers. 
In most of European beaches a small machine is running up and down the beach digging about 10 cm in the sand. This machine is much cheaper then all these stupid smoking boxes which will be just another rubbish bin after the first month.