30 day arrival visa do you need a return ticket?

Quick question as my mum and dad (Dutch) are coming to Thailand from 10 Jan till 20 Feb. That's more then 30 days....

At the moment they don't have a visa. So what's the best option? Fly in without a visa (so an arrival visa) that should get them 30 days.

They have already a return ticket but do they need to buy another ticket as proof that you gonna leave the country within 30 days?

And then get an extension at the immigration?

Or apply for a 60 day tourist visa in their home country?

Thanks in advance for some help. 

8 minutes ago, kathmandu said:

Or apply for a 60 day tourist visa in their home country?

Definitely the way to go, I think. That should then avoid any risk of them being denied permission to board their flight when checking-in at Schipol (from where I assume they will be flying) in the absence of any onward flight ticket out of Thailand within the following 30 days.

13 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Definitely the way to go, I think. That should then avoid any risk of them being denied permission to board their flight when checking-in at Schipol (from where I assume they will be flying) in the absence of any onward flight ticket out of Thailand within the following 30 days.

gives more flexibility that way; and can extend that if needed; not uncommon for people to like it here and desire to change their initial departure schedules in order to stay longer

Visa can be obtained at the consulate in Amsterdam, http://www.royalthaiconsulateamsterdam.nl . You have to download a form and answer some questions on it. Also need 2 pass photo's, copy of passport page and copy of the tickets. Visa is 30 euros and sending a passport back is 10 euros. They like it if you bring an enveloppe with your address already written on it.

If you live far from Amsterdam it is a bit inconvenient to go there, but still easier as getting an extension in Thailand.

Eva Air checks on departure date and visa. Probably other airliners also. So even if you plan a 'visa run' after 4 weeks, you need something to convince the airliner to let you board.

The last 2 times i have flown out of Heathrow to BKK in a similar situation i have not been asked to show a return ticket. More recently however i have been in and out of the Philippines about 6 times and the airlines are really forecful about having a return ticket within 30 days, I have seen 2 people turned away at checkout for 'not having'.  Ok it may be that P'pinnes immigration are pushing the airlines but if the carrier you are using,  fly to Manila as well as BKK  i would definitely not risk it. Cheapest phoney ticket will be 1000 baht probably about the same as the cost of a 60 day Visa. Visa  extension in Thailand i believe is 1900 so getting a Visa would be the safe and cheaper option.