"We gave them lovely umbrellas - they can charge what they like!", official tells Pattaya beach vendors

webfact

23 hours ago, selavy59 said:

It's called the marketplace. If people are willing to pay 100 baht then that is what vendors will charge. If they don't get enough customers then they will drop prices.

Phaphornan Leuangphanuwat was quite in saying that the market will decide.

Actually when service providers are the only way u can get a chair and umbrella and they conspire to fix prices high and when the resource they are selling is owned by the state or govt then the govt has an obligation to get involved in some ways.  They cannot wash their hands like they like to. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, David Walden said:

This what's called free enterprise, especially in the US, Australia Japan and EC countries.  It suppose to mean the price is set by supply and demand.  The companies in these countries believe in free and open competition, but of course that is only if it doesn't effect them ( Great quote from the Marfia, retail stores and politicians in the USA ).  Thailand still has a long way to go to catch up.   Go! Go! GO!

And that's why there are no tariff barriers in the world.

Free and open competition went out the window ages ago. What they want (like the beach workers) is to have a monopoly so they can then charge what they want. QED

1 minute ago, mrfill said:

And that's why there are no tariff barriers in the world.

Free and open competition went out the window ages ago. What they want (like the beach workers) is to have a monopoly so they can then charge what they want. QED

Monopoly give it a break, where talking about beach deck chairs in Thailand.  "If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen I say".   I can believe the quality of some of comments on this site, trying even to suggest a monopoly exists about deck chairs in Thailand.  That's about the greatest lot of BS I've ever seen on this site.  Monopolies only exist where essential item are in demand like oil, steel, food etc. etc.  I'm gunna keep looking for those polar bears flying past to the South pole.

10 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Monopoly give it a break, where talking about beach deck chairs in Thailand.  "If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen I say".   I can believe the quality of some of comments on this site, trying even to suggest a monopoly exists about deck chairs in Thailand.  That's about the greatest lot of BS I've ever seen on this site.  Monopolies only exist where essential item are in demand like oil, steel, food etc. etc.  I'm gunna keep looking for those polar bears flying past to the South pole.

So, if these beach workers are so keen on free and open competition, they would be happy to accept any new operator coming along, slashing prices in the interest of competition? I don't think so.

On 11/3/2017 at 11:12 AM, Cranky said:

Prices are not displayed. TIT. Deal with it.  If 50 bob is too much, bring a towel and a brolly and sit on the sand.

As for Western prices Vs. Thai prices, there really isn't much in it nowadays.  Just compare a few items such as:  A decent restaurant meal, a beer in a regular bar, clothes, a shopping trolley full of food at Tesco; all very comparable to UK - US is cheaper.  The difference is you can opt to live for very little if you either want to, or have to.

Yep you have completely nailed it. Many are still under the impression that the Internet never let the genie out of the bottle over Pattaya and are hankering back to 20 years ago before it started to take off.

If you dont "indulge" here and I'm being tactful Pattaya and Thailand is still very cheap. The loungers in Greek Hotspots are 250% dearer than pattayas new units. Yes this isnt greece but as comparison they have 30% unemployment whereas Thailand has virtually zero. Times have changed some need to grasp that rather than hankering back to a bygone era.

If the new prices are  Thais        20 B

Falangs 100 B

Then Falang save 80 B if he has a thai lady.

Edited by DanielS

We have these chairs here in Bkk in near then pool. Extreme low quality plastic, really not stong, they where all broken within few months and yeah dont sit on the front or the hole chairs goes in the air and you fall down.

With so so many heavy weight people, they will be for garbage very fast. A white chair is a white chair, so really beach is not becoming look nicer. And the clear cream color umbrellas another stupid action. Some sun and heat still go true a lot! All this is just pure corruption case, with few people filling their pockets in mass.

23 minutes ago, ericdiam said:

We have these chairs here in Bkk in near then pool. Extreme low quality plastic, really not stong, they where all broken within few months and yeah dont sit on the front or the hole chairs goes in the air and you fall down.

With so so many heavy weight people, they will be for garbage very fast. A white chair is a white chair, so really beach is not becoming look nicer. And the clear cream color umbrellas another stupid action. Some sun and heat still go true a lot! All this is just pure corruption case, with few people filling their pockets in mass.

Well we only have quality corruption in Australia, like selling off Govt, assets for a song to big business, then trying to buy them back for 10 times the previous value a few years later.  There are plenty I can think of, all billion dollar plus transactions.  Swiss Banks have so much money from unknown sources, some abandoned they are considering that they give away some 50,000 Swiss Franks for every man woman and child in the Country, yes give it  away.  You can use your imagination how it got into the banks in the 1st place.  We need legislation by stupid politicians to bring a law against stupidity?

Edited by David Walden

Well we only have quality corruption in Australia, like selling off Govt, assets for a song to big business, then trying to buy them back for 10 times the previous value a few years later.  There are plenty I can think of, all billion dollar plus transactions.  Swiss Banks have so much money from unknown sources, some abandoned they are considering that they give away some 50,000 Swiss Franks for every man woman and child in the Country, yes give it  away.  You can use your imagination how it got into the banks in the 1st place.  We need legislation by stupid politicians to bring a law against stupidity?

The problem is the cheap Charlie condo. They probably 10 years old when you moved in. Pay more get quality

The plastic lounges on koh larn have been going strong for years and are identical

The Thais may be greedy but I know of cases of tourists in misplaced compassion (stupidity) hand out Bt1000 tips to help the poor Thais. This stuff gets around and only reinforces the notion that we are all fantastically wealthy.

6 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmmm....a beach where you can’t smoke or drink beer then pay 100 baht for a seat.....hmmm.... people will be flocking there i’m sure

They are rest assured. Many people using them and not sure what this booze and smoking ban is about as its certainly not being adhered to.