Nakhon Sri Thammarat: Parents forced to take kids home - 7.30 am and it's too late!

webfact

Parents forced to take kids home - 7.30 am and it's too late!

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Parents at a school in Nakhon Sri Thammarat delivering their children at 7.30am found the school gates locked.

They were told they were too late and had to go home and be on time in future.

The story did the rounds of social media after a parent posted the story on the page of "Sao Tai Muang Khon" on Facebook.

The parent said:

"This is the director's policy. It was 7.30 am and the parents could not take their children in. They had to go home because the gates were bolted. Is this right?

"The school should understand that parents have things to do. They are arriving before 8am after all.

"What do the education department think about all this?"

Sanook picked up the story but the poster was unable for comment. Calls to the school concerned were not being answered, they said.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-03

It´s totally right that most Thai parents don´t care about bringing their kids to school in time. They sort of come when it suits them.
Closing 07.30 though, seems to be very early. I always left my daugther before 08.20 which is the time for her school.

After that it´s toally okey for me that they close the doors. Probably the only way to teach Thais to arrive in time on a regular everyday basis.
Not just do like they want today, and another way tomorrow. To much of that in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

It´s totally right that most Thai parents don´t care about bringing their kids to school in time. They sort of come when it suits them.
Closing 07.30 though, seems to be very early. I always left my daugther before 08.20 which is the time for her school.

After that it´s toally okey for me that they close the doors. Probably the only way to teach Thais to arrive in time on a regular everyday basis.
Not just do like they want today, and another way tomorrow. To much of that in Thailand.

another bar stool ranter who thinks he knows about Thais... 

23 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

another bar stool ranter who thinks he knows about Thais... 

Please, get real life experience instead of making a foolish comment.
I just stated that I have a daugther that goes in Thai school. Or that was what I meant anyway.
She has been going to 2 different schools in Thailand before the ones she go in now.
Everyday when I left her at the 2 government runned schools, there were poeple comming leving their children between 07.00-09.30 and the school started 08.10.
Now I have moved her to a private school where she get better teaching in english, chinese, other subjects and even have a pool and swimming teacher.
However, it´s only little bit better regarding keeping time. Here school starts 08.20 and there are still children coming to school until 09.00.

So, my comment was based out of experience. Not out of another bar stool ranter that don´t know anything after 17 years of living in Thailand.
You on the other hand seems to have very little experience when you automatically call somebody a bar stool ranter.
I can only see two reasons for that:

• Too bad fuctions and an inability to understand and learn
  • You might be the one that visit the bars too frequent

As a last little important crack in your comment is that I ain´t even been to a bar since like 3-4 years back in time.

Thai children are subjected to punishingly long hours which have a counterproductive effect on their ability to learn and make going to school a pain rather than a pleasure.

They actually leave school dumber - or at least with a lower IQ - than when they started and are among the worst achievers in south-east Asia.

Finland has proved, among other educational leaders, that it is the quality of teaching, not time spent in the classroom that really makes the difference - particularly when the classroom is baking hot, stuffy, ill-equipped and rote learning is the order of the day.

My bright and imaginative ten-year-old daughter was close to tears at being forced to return to her junior school after the half term hols and I cannot say I blame her.

She learns more in a few weeks of part time study at home than she does in months under the state system. If I had the time and ability I would home-school her rather than watch her creativity being crushed out of her in the educational sausage machine.

Kids who prosper here do so DESPITE the system, not because of it.

Edited by Krataiboy

..a

3 hours ago, Moti24 said:

If the school in question is trying to dispense with "Thai Time", forget it!  After teaching 10 years in Thai schools, I can assure you that the worst offenders are the Thai teachers.

...and cell phone users in class or meetings...as well... fine examples of X.... also holding up classes forcing students and the other teachers to wait and thus get behind....

Edited by Rhys

4 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Thai children are subjected to punishingly long hours which have a counterproductive effect on their ability to learn and make going to school a pain rather than a pleasure.

They actually leave school dumber - or at least with a lower IQ - than when they started and are among the worst achievers in south-east Asia.

Finland has proved, among other educational leaders, that it is the quality of teaching, not time spent in the classroom that really makes the difference - particularly when the classroom is baking hot, stuffy, ill-equipped and rote learning is the order of the day.

My bright and imaginative ten-year-old daughter was close to tears at being forced to return to her junior school after the half term hols and I cannot say I blame her.

She learns more in a few weeks of part time study at home than she does in months under the state system. If I had the time and ability I would home-school her rather than watch her creativity being crushed out of her in the educational sausage machine.

So send her to an International school, it’s not that expensive 

4 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Get a life. I´ve heard enough of your nonsense.
There is no country in the world that offer a school as bad as you state. Every one that goes to school id going to come out smarter than they were before. Even you with your wierd fantasies, I believe you can understand that.
On the other hand I will agree with you that the government runned schools is a terrible example of what a good school really schould be able to provide.
My advice to you is to put your child in private school, because as you say private home teching is, if done to our level of teaching, far above what they will learn in standard schooling.

So, if you want it to be better it is totally up to you. As for what I can assume, you are the one that choosed to produce a child in this part of the world. Then you are the one that is responsible to have the knowledge about the things you do. Please correct me if I am wrong or out of bounds.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Get a life. I´ve heard enough of your nonsense.
There is no country in the world that offer a school as bad as you state. Every one that goes to school id going to come out smarter than they were before. Even you with your wierd fantasies, I believe you can understand that.
On the other hand I will agree with you that the government runned schools is a terrible example of what a good school really schould be able to provide.
My advice to you is to put your child in private school, because as you say private home teching is, if done to our level of teaching, far above what they will learn in standard schooling.

So, if you want it to be better it is totally up to you. As for what I can assume, you are the one that choosed to produce a child in this part of the world. Then you are the one that is responsible to have the knowledge about the things you do. Please correct me if I am wrong or out of bounds.

Seeing is believing:

"On 27 May 2015, the (Thai) Ministry of Public Health released Thai student IQ survey results. They indicate that the IQ of Grade 1 students has dropped from 94 in 2011 to 93. The international standard is 100.

"It is highly possible that Thailand's education system is harming student IQs. While the IQ of pre-school students is acceptable, IQ drops as primary schooling commences, suggesting a need for changes at schools. The IQ of students in rural areas is considerably lower, at just 89. This difference persists at university. While studies have found the IQ of Bangkok university students averages 115, the IQ of provincial university students is 5-8 points lower." - source: Wikipedia, Education in Thailand.

Thank you for the advice that I should send my daughter to a private school. This happens to be beyond my means, as is moving back to the UK to complete her schooling.  As it happens, British educational standards are dropping.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/pisa-oecd-rankings-uk-schools-falling-behind-leading-countries-global-international-singapore-a7458751.html

13 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

My son is now 12 and going to finish grade 6. I have home schooled him every school holidays. When the clever ones go to school they are forced to spend their days assisting and teaching all those kids that don't study. But don't you worry. You will get your rewards. When going to M1 with good grade you can get the gifted programme. These classes are specifically for well behave mid to high achieving children. The classes only have 30 kids and they can all expect a bright university education. 

Those late, naughty kids that don't study at home, all go to low level schools with 50 kids in a class or pay 150000 a year for ep. Their high school years are horrendous and they can expect to finish their education in a vocational school or very low level degree programme. 

Keep doing what you are doing. 

You will get many rewards soon. 

And all these late slackasse parents spend the next 6 years regretting their slackassness. 

11 hours ago, Rhys said:

..a

...and cell phone users in class or meetings...as well... fine examples of X.... also holding up classes forcing students and the other teachers to wait and thus get behind....

I never allowed mobile phones in the classroom.  I used to confiscate them until the end of the day, upsetting some parents, and on occasions, the school director.

I could write a book on the Thai education system, but I don't think I could get any publisher in Thailand to print my version.

11 hours ago, Jimmyjames120 said:

So send her to an International school, it’s not that expensive 

Regarding elementary school, it vary between 40000-100000 a year. I am lucky and only pay 50000 Bath per year. However, I am happy with spending money on my daugthers education while other people prefer beer or something else to abuse the money on.

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Now that is just b ollocks.

You say! :smile:

8 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Seeing is believing:

"On 27 May 2015, the (Thai) Ministry of Public Health released Thai student IQ survey results. They indicate that the IQ of Grade 1 students has dropped from 94 in 2011 to 93. The international standard is 100.

"It is highly possible that Thailand's education system is harming student IQs. While the IQ of pre-school students is acceptable, IQ drops as primary schooling commences, suggesting a need for changes at schools. The IQ of students in rural areas is considerably lower, at just 89. This difference persists at university. While studies have found the IQ of Bangkok university students averages 115, the IQ of provincial university students is 5-8 points lower." - source: Wikipedia, Education in Thailand.

Thank you for the advice that I should send my daughter to a private school. This happens to be beyond my means, as is moving back to the UK to complete her schooling.  As it happens, British educational standards are dropping.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/pisa-oecd-rankings-uk-schools-falling-behind-leading-countries-global-international-singapore-a7458751.html

There is a big problem from start here. Seeing is beleiving??? Are you just they most easy person to manipulate in the world, or is it something else?
You are reading something, not seeing. That means bacically that you automatically will belive everything in the news. Did you read about the poll that stated Prayut was preferred by 97% of the people? Did you see and believe there too?

However, there is more problems with what you have been reading, not seeing. Take for example that you defend you last comment with this so called facts, which everyone know is fabricated BS.
Here you said that people come out of school dumber than when they entered. In your fiction facts they only state that the IQ dropped from 94 to 93 in one specific year. That is not regarding a persons full education, and it´s only for one year a long time ago. In other words irrelevant to use as facts or defense for you earlier comment.

That the international IQ is 100 in general will mean that it´s lower and higher in certain parts or countries in the world. That is something that regards everything like productíon, compassion, motoric abilities as just a few examples. Means that some countries will have 105 and some 95 or even bigger differenses. As the country with the lowest IQ-lever in the world is at 59, I would consider 5-6 under the international general a minor thing. The only thing you like to state here is pure BS.

If you before believing in such fabricated sensational facts they call news, you would have been knowing that the differens between rural areas and highly developed cities exists in the rest od the world too. The differenses between a capitol city and a small town is also the same. There is two major reasons for that. The first and most active is that the bigger and better universities and the best teachers is to be found in big and capitol cities. Reason number two that also exists and are active in many countries, is that people in rural areas can´t afford the better schools and a good education.

As for last, I will hope that your daugther will find her place in UK, and that her education is better. It´s still like the UK school have a teaching system that is far beyond the Thai system regarding government schools. Good Luck.

I am not a teacher or do I have children of school age , but the school near us appears to take more holidays than days spent learning.

If it isn't the statutory holidays , then it is Teachers day , or Teachers this that or the other.

Classes start at 08:30hrs and the kids are leaving 15:45hrs.

I see somebody on a previous post mentioned the school day is to long , not here.

The amount of children that come back into school on their holidays because their grades are not good enough is unreal .

Maybe these are the same kids who roar up and down the road outside the school on their noisy motor bikes , instead of making an effort when they are supposed to.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Regarding elementary school, it vary between 40000-100000 a year. I am lucky and only pay 50000 Bath per year. However, I am happy with spending money on my daugthers education while other people prefer beer or something else to abuse the money on.

You say! :smile:

There is a big problem from start here. Seeing is beleiving??? Are you just they most easy person to manipulate in the world, or is it something else?
You are reading something, not seeing. That means bacically that you automatically will belive everything in the news. Did you read about the poll that stated Prayut was preferred by 97% of the people? Did you see and believe there too?

However, there is more problems with what you have been reading, not seeing. Take for example that you defend you last comment with this so called facts, which everyone know is fabricated BS.
Here you said that people come out of school dumber than when they entered. In your fiction facts they only state that the IQ dropped from 94 to 93 in one specific year. That is not regarding a persons full education, and it´s only for one year a long time ago. In other words irrelevant to use as facts or defense for you earlier comment.

That the international IQ is 100 in general will mean that it´s lower and higher in certain parts or countries in the world. That is something that regards everything like productíon, compassion, motoric abilities as just a few examples. Means that some countries will have 105 and some 95 or even bigger differenses. As the country with the lowest IQ-lever in the world is at 59, I would consider 5-6 under the international general a minor thing. The only thing you like to state here is pure BS.

If you before believing in such fabricated sensational facts they call news, you would have been knowing that the differens between rural areas and highly developed cities exists in the rest od the world too. The differenses between a capitol city and a small town is also the same. There is two major reasons for that. The first and most active is that the bigger and better universities and the best teachers is to be found in big and capitol cities. Reason number two that also exists and are active in many countries, is that people in rural areas can´t afford the better schools and a good education.

As for last, I will hope that your daugther will find her place in UK, and that her education is better. It´s still like the UK school have a teaching system that is far beyond the Thai system regarding government schools. Good Luck.

Thanks for that abusive rant. Did you, by any chance, learn your English at a Thai state school?

1 minute ago, Krataiboy said:

Thanks for that abusive rant. Did you, by any chance, learn your English at a Thai state school?

That was not an abusive rant. It was facts, instead of fiction made up in a Thai statistics report.
No, I didn´t go to Thai school and also do not have english as native language.

4 hours ago, greenchair said:

My son is now 12 and going to finish grade 6. I have home schooled him every school holidays. When the clever ones go to school they are forced to spend their days assisting and teaching all those kids that don't study. But don't you worry. You will get your rewards. When going to M1 with good grade you can get the gifted programme. These classes are specifically for well behave mid to high achieving children. The classes only have 30 kids and they can all expect a bright university education. 

Those late, naughty kids that don't study at home, all go to low level schools with 50 kids in a class or pay 150000 a year for ep. Their high school years are horrendous and they can expect to finish their education in a vocational school or very low level degree programme. 

Keep doing what you are doing. 

You will get many rewards soon. 

And all these late slackasse parents spend the next 6 years regretting their slackassness. 

Thanks for that. In a year or so, I'm planning to send my daughter to an affordable senior school which has a dedicated English programme. My elder daughter already attends one of these and is progressing well.

24 minutes ago, Get Real said:

That was not an abusive rant. It was facts, instead of fiction made up in a Thai statistics report.
No, I didn´t go to Thai school and also do not have english as native language.

You clearly do not understand the meaning of either rant or abusive or the difference between fact  and opinion.

This is no skin off my back. However, the Thai Ministry of Public Health may be less laid back about being publicly accused of publishing "fiction". Hopefully, they won't sue you for defamation.

It should come as no surprise that  Thai school hours are generally long.

To my and many others  surprise at post graduate Teachers College,  we were told that the Number 1 function of any school is to 'mind' kids , while their parents ( hopefully ) work and contribute to the Nation via their efforts and taxes.

Society would not function with thousands of kids running wild on the streets otherwise.

So , as most Thai working hours are long , so to is the 'child minding' facility ( school ).

Of course , since the children are there , schools should offer way more , but that issue and how it is delivered is a huge topic...

It is also my experience that pretty much all the Thai kids I know state that they love  their school.

I dont know one kid who has said they hate it.

13 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Each according to his means.

Yes, your link is correct and UK standards in schools have dropped to due government cuts, too many kids in the classroom as class sizes are too big and a culture in the UK, mainly by white British,  many in the North of England unfortunately, ( my birthplace and a poorer part of the country) who have never worked.  A large number are on their second generation of families who have no person out in the world earning a living and paying tax into the system.

These people have grown up to a system of benefits.

Small wonder their kids lives revolve around social media, Facebook, i phones and X box and not learning in school, where the focus now has to come from within the pupil themselves to get forward in life, as so many come from dysfunctional families.

A point to make here is the vast proportion of British Asian families, immigrant families etc make full use of the free education, go to school, achieve outstanding grades and go on to university to obtain great jobs in the workforce, which is much to their credit and our shame as white British.

However, the UK state schools are a million miles better and superior to Thai state schools in their school curriculum, for all their faults. I am happy my children had a UK education.

We have two Thai nieces whose education we have funded, one now works at Central in Bangkok, the other in the top percentage and still at school, but I am clueless as to what she intends to do after she finishes her education as opportunities in Thailand are so limited for a Thai girl finishing high school and their universities do not seem to offer much more in future advancement unless its a job within the '  bloated Thai system ' such as teaching or local government

Edited by Scouse123