Reinstall Windows 10..

chiangrai

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

Why has the very simple question that I posed ten hours ago not been answered?

A clean install could have been completed nine hours ago.

Maybe it's easier to understand with cars: If you have a car which does not drive do you think it's always best to replace the engine to solve that problem? Because maybe the car just needs gas or maybe the wheels are off. Replacing the engine won't solve these problems.

And no new Windows installation will solve a hardware problem with possible a bad connection or cable...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

O.k...I reckon it's best to try to solve the external Hard drive issue first and the first thing to do with that is to see if the problem is physical hardware.

This disk is about 10 years old come to think of it.It looks perfect and hasn't been moved much but either the cable or the drive itself could be faulty.

First I will check a thumb drive on the same port with the same player.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe it's easier to understand with cars: If you have a car which does not drive do you think it's always best to replace the engine to solve that problem? Because maybe the car just needs gas or maybe the wheels are off. Replacing the engine won't solve these problems.

And no new Windows installation will solve a hardware problem with possible a bad connection or cable...

I like the car analogy.

A fresh windows install can be a massive undertaking (as a fault finding tool) as most people dont exactly run vanilla setups. You can have a clean windows running in an hour, but even with backups it can take days to reinstall all your programs and apps, email accounts, VPNs. re sync cloud storage back to PC (what was my dropbox password), redo media libraries, setup client server media sharing, 127 passwords that have been forgotten, re downloading that 30GB game and remembering what server you where playing on. Not to mention custom windows setup.

And there is always that great little shareware program that you cant remember where you got it from.

Edited by Peterw42

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Perhaps you should have read my question before posting your analogy.

The question was what car is it?

The OS installation is recommended simply because we know that it has been activated by a crack.

So better to begin from a clean slate in the first place. Ensuring that everything is installed correctly, rather than a half arsed install currently in place.

1 hour ago, chiangrai said:

O.k...I reckon it's best to try to solve the external Hard drive issue first and the first thing to do with that is to see if the problem is physical hardware.

This disk is about 10 years old come to think of it.It looks perfect and hasn't been moved much but either the cable or the drive itself could be faulty.

First I will check a thumb drive on the same port with the same player.

Are you joking? Are you lacking the ability to identify the machine that you are using?

In that case I will leave you to it.

I have tried playing movies on a thumb drive with potplayer from the same port that I used with the external drive and it's fine.

So the problem is not potplayer

Tomorrow I will try my external drive on another computer to see if I can deduct anything from that..

I will let you know how I get on.

12 hours ago, JamJar said:

Perhaps you should have read my question before posting your analogy.

The question was what car is it?

The OS installation is recommended simply because we know that it has been activated by a crack.

So better to begin from a clean slate in the first place. Ensuring that everything is installed correctly, rather than a half arsed install currently in place.

It does not matter what car it is! It does not matter if it is a BMW or Toyota and if it is stolen or not. If a cable is defect then a cable is defect.

Many hacked Windows installations work just fine. It is a rumor from the software companies that their software is somehow different with license or without. Sure, the updates should work and if they don't work (like on some bad hacks) then this is a problem. But it still has nothing to do with a hardware fault.

13 hours ago, JamJar said:

But the activation tech seems irrelevant to the OP's two problems. He surely has a standard Win 10 installation otherwise. He did mention a clean virus scan already. Indeed, later he could remove the activator and use a cheap key bought from the net for a genuine activation. I'd do a few more virus scans w/ different products, but I doubt they'll find anything. 

Not really, for reasons I explained in a previous post. The aspect w/ the greatest likelihood of being half arsed--affecting the OP's problems--might be a lack OEM drivers for his particular hardware. However, generic Windows drivers often do work just fine. :smile: For the videos, now it's looking like a cable, drive, or drive controller issue on that old external disk. If it works fine on another machine, then I might look at the USB drivers on his Win 10. However, the external drive's 10 years old already!

11 hours ago, chiangrai said:

I have tried playing movies on a thumb drive with potplayer from the same port that I used with the external drive and it's fine.

So the problem is not potplayer

Tomorrow I will try my external drive on another computer to see if I can deduct anything from that..

I will let you know how I get on.

Great. Since that external drive is 10 years old already it's ripe for replacing. I might suggest getting an enclosure like this: http://www.lazada.co.th/oker-box-hard-drive-oker-st-2532-usb-30-25-sata-black-7004704.html?spm=a2o4m.brand.0.0.e40dc2fJXXTsq&ff=1&sc=MaEW&rb=5793

Then you can put your old HDD from your laptop in it; I'm assuming it's not too old. You can check the health of the drive w/ this utility: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/CrystalDiskInfo.shtml. If you do this you might want to make an image of that drive before you reformat it. However, you can just copy a few video files over to it first and see how it's working first.

Depending on your budget and space needs, an SSD drive in a USB3 enclosure is a great way to go. I have one attached to my media box and love it.

48 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It does not matter what car it is! It does not matter if it is a BMW or Toyota and if it is stolen or not. If a cable is defect then a cable is defect.

Many hacked Windows installations work just fine. It is a rumor from the software companies that their software is somehow different with license or without. Sure, the updates should work and if they don't work (like on some bad hacks) then this is a problem. But it still has nothing to do with a hardware fault.

Gosh you guys think you are so smart...... but read on....

Big sites like Thaivisa,Ebay and the like were slow on all browsers.

So knowing "which make and model" would enable us to look into the specification. Also to check if CPU or RAM is lacking and to find specific Drivers.

The external HDD is just a peripheral and you have both been sidetracked by it.

Then we have JSixpack adding the nonsense of simply adding a legitimate licence to to an unknown install.

All just laziness. 

If KMSpico has been utilised, what other cracks are installed? Do you know?

Do you know the SKU of the current install? The version?

Clean install a certifiably clean and up to date OS; currently version 1709, install correct Drivers if necessary. 

The HDD is another issue entirely. Since the issue is not replicated via USB Flash drive, we know that the HDD is the problem for when it comes to media playback.

But media playback is not the only issue.

39 minutes ago, JamJar said:

So knowing "which make and model" would enable us to look into the specification. Also to check if CPU or RAM is lacking and to find specific Drivers.

Win 10 system information will tell us about the CPU, RAM, and motherboard. We'll look into overall system performance. OP can look for his own drivers or we can help--when the time comes, if it does.

The external HDD is just a peripheral and you have both been sidetracked by it.

No, in fact I addressed the browsing issue earlier. Hardly an uncommon issue and may just need a cleanup and/or OEM drivers. We're gonna go as deep as we need to, even extending to a clean install. But the OP seems more concerned about his video playback now and so we're focusing on that. Nobody's forgotten about the other issue. I think the OP may not be big on multitasking.

Then we have JSixpack adding the nonsense of simply adding a legitimate licence to to an unknown install.

All just laziness.

Less work, true. As noted, do a few virus scans first w/ different products. Could do a system files check. Then I really wouldn't feel paranoid. OP has his choice, however. I'm not recommending, just noting the possibility. Nothing new or particularly shocking there.

Clean install a certifiably clean and up to date OS; currently version 1709, install correct Drivers if necessary.

We can find out about the drivers now, thank you. :smile: OP can save them for a clean install if he goes that route. 

Edited by JSixpack

It's unbelievable that the OP doesn't seem to understand Jam Jar's message.

No matter what's wrong with the player, the system is cracked with KMS and only god knows what else is being "modified."

OP, do yourself a big favor and listen to people who know what they are talking about. 

Do a clean install of W 10 Pro, version 1709. ( Depending on what OS you've got)

Here's the Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/th-th/software-download/windows10

Then use this to create a bootable memory stick: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Buy a Windows 10 pro key from a trustworthy website, then format your Drive C, or whatever drive your OS is on. You'll be asked when you do the installation.

Once you've created a bootable memory stick with Rufus and the OS 1709 Windows 10 Pro on it, you can make your fresh install easily. 

Don't get sidetracked by the player, or your 10 year old external hard drive. 

If I were you, I'd listen to Jam Jar's offer and follow all instructions, he /she knows what he's talking about.

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Win 10 system information will tell us about the CPU, RAM, and motherboard. We'll look into overall system performance. OP can look for his own drivers or we can help--when the time comes, if it does.

No, in fact I addressed the browsing issue earlier. Hardly an uncommon issue and may just need a cleanup and/or OEM drivers. We're gonna go as deep as we need to, even extending to a clean install. But the OP seems more concerned about his video playback now and so we're focusing on that. Nobody's forgotten about the other issue. I think the OP may not be big on multitasking.

Less work, true. As noted, do a few virus scans first w/ different products. Could do a system files check. Then I really wouldn't feel paranoid. OP has his choice, however. I'm not recommending, just noting the possibility. Nothing new or particularly shocking there.

We can find out about the drivers now, thank you. :smile: OP can save them for a clean install if he goes that route. 

OP doesn't seem to be able to comprehend all your messages. OP can't look for his own drivers, the way i see it. 

What do you mean with a cleanup? All these programs usually show more problems than you've got. Yep, the OP seems to be concerned about this player, but doesn't see the whole picture. Only a clean install will be what he really needs, then start over again with a new system.

How can you tell him to do virus scans with different products? He's got KMS installed, perhaps some other cracks that might have some other Trojans in the OS?

What would a system file check show him? Please don't get me wrong, but too much information for technically not advanced people isn't good information. 

I know that you want to help the OP< but he doesn't understand your posts, nor does he get the others.

One day the system will show not activated and that could be after the 1709 update. That's why I suggest to do a clean install, nothing else. The player can be done afterwards.

So the External Hard Drive works fine on another laptop.

Going from folder to folder is really fast 

and so far it's not skipping from video to video.

What next.......I'm not going to take sides in any argument.......

I would like to get a proper installation of Windows 10....

I never argued with that I just thought it wasn't possible.

If somebody can walk me through it then that would be great.

Lets go.......

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

What do you mean with a cleanup? All these programs usually show more problems than you've got.

Very standard stuff.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1009894-why-am-i-getting-a-delay-lag-when-typing-or-using-cursor/?tab=comments#comment-12419586

How can you tell him to do virus scans with different products? He's got KMS installed, perhaps some other cracks that might have some other Trojans in the OS?\

They're designed to find the "some other cracks with the some other Trojans." Make exception for KMS when found.

What would a system file check show him? Please don't get me wrong, but too much information for technically not advanced people isn't good information.

Whether all the system files are legit. You may need to read up on it. I wasn't responding to the OP in my post but to one of our highly advanced techies. OP would need a walkthrough of course.

I know that you want to help the OP< but he doesn't understand your posts, nor does he get the others.

He's getting what he needs to know from my posts addressed to him. True, he might not get the others. So now some good progress has been made and he's decided on the reinstall and spend some money, after which he may have the same problem or maybe not. The browser problem will likely go away for a time, anyway. I'm glad I don't have to reinstall my system every time my browser slows down. :smile:

Edited by JSixpack

2 hours ago, chiangrai said:

So the External Hard Drive works fine on another laptop.

Going from folder to folder is really fast 

and so far it's not skipping from video to video.

What next.......I'm not going to take sides in any argument.......

Lets go.......

I asked you on Saturday about your laptop and again on Sunday.

All likely would have been solved within an hour.

Someone else can waste their time with you if they so wish. Amazing....

16 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Very standard stuff.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1009894-why-am-i-getting-a-delay-lag-when-typing-or-using-cursor/?tab=comments#comment-12419586

They're designed to find the "some other cracks with the some other Trojans." Make exception for KMS when found.

Whether all the system files are legit. You may need to read up on it. I wasn't responding to the OP in my post but to one of our highly advanced techies. OP would need a walkthrough of course.

He's getting what he needs to know from my posts addressed to him. True, he might not get the others. So now some good progress has been made and he's decided on the reinstall and spend some money, after which he may have the same problem or maybe not. The browser problem will likely go away for a time, anyway. I'm glad I don't have to reinstall my system every time my browser slows down. :smile:

He might not have the right driver for the external drive, but now it's time for a new install which will make his machine fast and reliable. And without cracks. Cheers,. mate. 

2 hours ago, chiangrai said:

Lets go.......

Lots of tutorials on the net and videos are most helpful. For example,

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/clean-install-windows-10

However, the product key is an issue. If you're incredibly lucky you might find it on the COA sticker on the bottom of your laptop. Otherwise you can put your old HDD in your external box and use a tool to find it:

https://www.howtogeek.com/64600/how-to-recover-windows-and-software-keys-from-a-broken-computer/

Needless to say you can reinstall your old HDD, boot up and get it.

Otherwise you'll need to get a new key. You can get one on the cheap from well-reviewed sources:

ttps://hardforum.com/threads/office-2016-pro-plus-windows-10-pro-17-office-2013.1935737/

Go find them in all the pages of this thread on reddit.

Some of our experts won't hear of that, though, so you may wish to pay full retail. :smile:

Let us know if you have further questions.

6 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

ChiangRai, please listen to JamJar from now on and ANSWER his questions please.

he'll walk you thru it. 

Oh, but I won't.

That opportunity has already passed.

I'm sure JSixpack and/or OneMoreFarang are more than capable of talking them through what needs to be done.

I will but observe. 

22 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Why have a forum if the only course of action is to reinstall windows, every time, for a couple of minor faults, that dont sound OP system related. 

These are your words. So now time to back them up. The OP is waiting.

I think I am going to back out of this post now.I think it's turned into to much of an argument but I really appreciate every thing every body's done for me.

I have to go away for a few days tomorrow and when I come back I will open a new thread and have a clear idea of what I want to do.

I would like to get a proper installation of windows and sort out any driver problems.

I learned  that from this post.But now it's time to take a break and let tempers cool.

Thanks for all your help......much appreciated.

4 hours ago, chiangrai said:

I think I am going to back out of this post now.I think it's turned into to much of an argument but I really appreciate every thing every body's done for me.

I have to go away for a few days tomorrow and when I come back I will open a new thread and have a clear idea of what I want to do.

I would like to get a proper installation of windows and sort out any driver problems.

I learned  that from this post.But now it's time to take a break and let tempers cool.

Thanks for all your help......much appreciated.

Tempers cool?  I don't think that is the issue here. Everyone can have a different opinion as to how to solve a problem.

I happened to think mine was the best way.

I have no issue with any of the other posters, as  they were genuinely trying to help you.

The main issue, in my opinion, is you.

I tried to help you and you ignored me. Nothing wrong with you trying a different way at first, but at least acknowledge my post along the way.

So I won't try to help you again, regardless of whether you begin a new thread or not.

I feel that you just wasted my time. So I'm not inclined to do it again.

Perhaps someone else can talk you through it, if they can be bothered.

Good luck with that.

16 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Tempers cool?  I don't think that is the issue here. Everyone can have a different opinion as to how to solve a problem.

I happened to think mine was the best way.

I have no issue with any of the other posters, as  they were genuinely trying to help you.

The main issue, in my opinion, is you.

I tried to help you and you ignored me. Nothing wrong with you trying a different way at first, but at least acknowledge my post along the way.

So I won't try to help you again, regardless of whether you begin a new thread or not.

I feel that you just wasted my time. So I'm not inclined to do it again.

Perhaps someone else can talk you through it, if they can be bothered.

Good luck with that.

+ 1. Thanks for your true words and I'm out as well. You can lead a horse to a pond, but you can't make it drink. Best of luck with your new thread !