Man dies in after sudden temperature drop

webfact

Man dies after sudden temperature drop

By The Nation

8de6f20088876612881c52d0ebe673ee.jpeg

A 44-year-old man has died from hypothermia after going to bed with three fans blowing cool air at him.

The man turned on the fans being going to sleep on Thursday night but the sudden early-morning temperature drop turned into a fatal tragedy in Chaiyaphum's Muang district. 

Following the discovery of Sobthawee Boonkua's body at his relative's house in Tambon Nai Muang, Pol Lt Colonel Thanasit Apiboonworaset of Muang Chaiyaphum police went to inspect the scene at 8.30am along with a medical examiner and emergency workers.

His elder brother Saravuth Boonkua said Sobthawee had gone to stay at the house to take care of their ailing 86-year-old mother Udom Boonkua. 

He said Sobthawee, a healthy man, has gone to bed with three fans directing cool air at him without realizing that Chaiyaphum's temperature can be much lower at night. 

A medical examiner said Sobthawee had died from hypothermia because his body couldn't adjust to the sudden cold and had gone into shock. 

The family accepted his cause of death and said they would collect his body for religious rites later.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30330726

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-03

A long time ago 2 Norwegians or Fins,cannot remember now,were found on the

floor of their bungalow up in Mae Jo,the verdict was Hypothermia according to

the police,the nationalities of the deceased making it even more unbelievable. 

regards worgeordie

16 hours ago, bheard said:

Very, very, skeptical. Na, it's bullshit. Unless the guy was pissed (or drugged in some other way) out of his mind, his body would have felt the cold and woken him up.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I totally agree. If the temperature dropped that much while sleeping, he would have woke up. Something else must be at play here. 

Also, fans don't cool the air they just circulate it around the room. This has a cooling effect on the body, but it doesn't take the average room temperature down. Average daily low in Chaiyaphum is supposedly around 21c this time of year, so, unless there was a big deviation from that at the time, the explanation doesn't add up at all. 

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Interesting. I usually sleep with a fan on but the other day I put the A.C. on during the night and fell asleep, woke up freezing so this story seems plausible.

You woke up feeling cold. You did not wake up freezing! You are still alive as well, so how could a fan kill someone when it's 20 or 21 at lowest ?

Apparently 'fan death' is a common superstition...

“Common”? ....It’s superstitious in Korea ONLY!

The same site also states:

“Simple physics implies that fans do not cause room temperature to drop; if anything, it should rise slightly because of the fan motor's heat output. Fans do lower body temperature by increasing the convection around a person's body so that heat flows into the air more easily, and by vaporization as perspiration evaporates from the body, but no scientific study indicates that this effect could cause hypothermia, unless the temperature is already very low.”

9 hours ago, sinbin said:

Obviously no autopsy was done. 

Autopsy in the "sticks" of Thailand?

No wonder, that an increasing number of Farangs include in their "last will" that an autopsy has to be performed in a Forensic Branch of Hospital X in Bangkok. Regardless of the diagnosed "cause of death" in Nakhon Nowhere.
Once this clause within the "last will" is known to family-members, it may increase the life expectancy of a Farang, especially if the relationship between the Farang and the Family is somewhat "volatile" and "unstable".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am writing this not without reason. My best Farang-Friend died 2 years ago under very questionable circumstances in the sticks of Thailand. Even local Thai's, not related to the "Family", freely  agreed.
My efforts, (as a Farang) to bring some transparency into play, were deflected by local authorities forcefully from the very beginning.

It's an episode I will never forget. Among other things, it was THE event that made me take off my "rose coloured glasses" as far as Thailand is concerned. My efforts, to put my "rose coloured glasses" back on have failed so far.
Cheers.       

On 04/11/2017 at 10:06 AM, alex8912 said:

If fans blew cold air why would we need ac's?  I want to buy a fan that blows cold air. Where can I buy this fan? 

You can buy in almost every electro outlet normal fans but blowing cold air by sprying a mist of cold water.
Temperature drop can be as much as 5 to 10 degrees.

Archived