Honda Rebel 500 vs Honda Cbr 500 r

Avrock

Greetings TV,

I know that it’s going to be an awkward topic but I’m in desperate need of some expert advice from ththe experienced members here.. Which out of the two is the Best Buy for the following ?

1. In terms of safety

2. Long distance rides

3. Best value in the long run

4. Maintenance

5. Build quality

I’d very much appreciate your thoughts on it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Avrock said:

Ya the 500 is here..has a twin cam engine..everything is the same except the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

In that case pretty useless I would thought, a half scale HD, what's the point unless you at a really short guy? It is supposed to be a chopper/cruiser, crazy size?

39 minutes ago, AllanB said:

In that case pretty useless I would thought, a half scale HD, what's the point unless you at a really short guy? It is supposed to be a chopper/cruiser, crazy size?

Comparing the Rebel 500 with a HD? These are worlds apart in many many ways. Makes no sense.

To answer some of the OPs points (I own a CBR5000R, test-rode the Rebel 500):

1. Should be pretty similar but the CBR will likely make you ride a bit faster.

2. CBR is not that great if you have a pillion because of the forward lean and therefor pressure on your wrists. Don't know if the Rebel has other comfort issues but the lean is better.

3. Should be pretty similar.

4. Also this one should be very similar, they share the same engine.

5. Pretty much the same again

Remember both are Hondas, share the same engine (Rebel tuned slightly for more lower RPM torque) and are sold by the same dealers (Bigwing). They are very closely related but have very different styles. So it's a matter of preference for you.

You should also consider the CB500F and especially the CB500X if you focus on long tours. They all share the same engine and most other parts.

• Like 2

No not really..actually the twin engines fit the frame nicely & in my opinion in looks better..the overall weight difference is not much also around 180kg as compared to the 300 which weighs 165kg ..from what I hear, on the highway the 500 has less vibrations..

Comparing the Rebel 500 with a HD? These are worlds apart in many many ways. Makes no sense.

To answer some of the OPs points (I own a CBR5000R, test-rode the Rebel 500):

1. Should be pretty similar but the CBR will likely make you ride a bit faster.
2. CBR is not that great if you have a pillion because of the forward lean and therefor pressure on your wrists. Don't know if the Rebel has other comfort issues but the lean is better.
3. Should be pretty similar.
4. Also this one should be very similar, they share the same engine.
5. Pretty much the same again

Remember both are Hondas, share the same engine (Rebel tuned slightly for more lower RPM torque) and are sold by the same dealers (Bigwing). They are very closely related but have very different styles. So it's a matter of preference for you.

You should also consider the CB500F and especially the CB500X if you focus on long tours. They all share the same engine and most other parts.

As a beginner I’m not looking for speed..My preference is a reliable safe bike that is good for daily commute as well as weekend rides from Bangkok to the neighboring cities or national parks for camping..so naturally the bike must have the ability to handle weight of bag packs & camping gear plus a passenger

35 minutes ago, Avrock said:

As a beginner I’m not looking for speed..My preference is a reliable safe bike that is good for daily commute as well as weekend rides from Bangkok to the neighboring cities or national parks for camping..so naturally the bike must have the ability to handle weight of bag packs & camping gear plus a passenger

The CBR500R was my first big bike, only scooters before that. Have a bit of respect and maybe attend the riding courses that Bigwing offers. Then the 500 can be a very good beginners bike. It wont flip over just because you gave it too much throttle :)

What's your budget? Sounds like the CB500X might be the right fit for you. Upright riding position, relatively comfy, not many vibrations if you cruise under 100kph, good options for luggage (panniers, topbox). Doesn't get too hot either.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1

The 500X maybe a bit too high for him.  The 500F seat is lower and in my opinion in a better position.

I was very tempted by the 500X until I tried the 500F. Both have the same motor with the X being more of an ADV bike.

Some very nice second hand 500F bikes for sale on Bahtsold too

Yes I checked out both the 500x & f & to be honest they don’t suite my taste.. I mean they might be ideal for touring but I’m not a big fan of the way they look..amongst Honda I find two bikes from 2017 that suite my budget & my taste..the rebel & 500r ... the mrs is already hooked on rebel but until I was exiting the showroom & saw the black & orange cbr 500 r ... it’s something sweet..but when I first saw the rebel I was blown away..hence the confusion

20 hours ago, Avrock said:

What is your height and build?

Have you considered the Kawasaki Vulcan 650, a nice sized bike built for two, I think you would be really cramped on the Rebel 2 up? Tried both bikes with my missus, 140kg the two of us, the Vulcan was perfect, Rebel didn't work for us at all.

Camping in Thailand, really?

With those questions I think he is a beginner and a 650 is a huge difference from the 500. I can recommend it as I have had 3 different 650's and now have a 500, which might lack some punch sometimes, but is still quite funny to ride and can be plenty for a beginner in bkk. I prefer the 500 in bkk because it doesnt get even near as hot as the 650 and is lighter (more important if he is a new rider)  

For city riding CB 500 F

for touring Cb 500 X  

For wane be racing star CBR 500

For cruising Rebel 500 

If u are tall I recon the seating position wouldn't be so nice with the CBR 

Good luck

9 hours ago, 12Gon said:

With those questions I think he is a beginner and a 650 is a huge difference from the 500. I can recommend it as I have had 3 different 650's and now have a 500, which might lack some punch sometimes, but is still quite funny to ride and can be plenty for a beginner in bkk. I prefer the 500 in bkk because it doesnt get even near as hot as the 650 and is lighter (more important if he is a new rider)  

For city riding CB 500 F

for touring Cb 500 X  

For wane be racing star CBR 500

For cruising Rebel 500 

If u are tall I recon the seating position wouldn't be so nice with the CBR 

Good luck

The Vulcan's 650 engine is de-tuned compared to the ER6N and is by all accounts an easy bike to ride, it is adjustable to fit the rider, making it a comfortable low speed cruiser. That's what I have heard, but sitting on the bike I can believe that.

Ok so I’m 5’10 & I’m towards the skinny end..The Vulcan s has very very positive reviews but it’s way out of budget..anyhow I’ve done a fair bit of research & went personally to check the bikes & came to a conclusion that the rebel 500 suites me the most..gonna do some modifications along the way cause they’re required..example passenger seat horrible, suspension way too soft, front forks need to be replaced with harder springs, hate the square backlight & has no gear indicator so probably one of those..the looks of the bike & the sound of the exhaust don’t match as usual so after market exhausts..but honestly it’s a very beautiful bike which has a lot of room for customization for personal preferences..
P.s if anyone is out looking for Honda big bikes they’ve got a promotion till Christmas..free GoPro 4 free first class insurance for the first year & free registration they make in total around 35k..

Avrock: you got yourself quite a plan it seems. Though with all these mods you're quickly in Vulcan S territory. We are talking about a 65k THB price difference.

Are the suspension mods required because it would bottom out with a pillion? Because you are not gonna race this thing and as a beginner I don't think you will need stiffer suspension for performance reasons. A soft suspension can be quite nice for comfort on shitty roads which there are plenty here. All I'm saying is: take it slowly and see how you get on with the stock one.

The exhaust: well, let me tell you, you wont ever make this thing sound really good. It's impossible with this parallel twin engine and firing intervals. I have a dirt cheap (9k THB) aftermarket exhaust mainly for the looks and it sounds slightly better but it's not a super soundtrack by all means. Unfortunately the Vulcan doesn't sound any better.

Avrock: you got yourself quite a plan it seems. Though with all these mods you're quickly in Vulcan S territory. We are talking about a 65k THB price difference.

Are the suspension mods required because it would bottom out with a pillion? Because you are not gonna race this thing and as a beginner I don't think you will need stiffer suspension for performance reasons. A soft suspension can be quite nice for comfort on shitty roads which there are plenty here. All I'm saying is: take it slowly and see how you get on with the stock one.

The exhaust: well, let me tell you, you wont ever make this thing sound really good. It's impossible with this parallel twin engine and firing intervals. I have a dirt cheap (9k THB) aftermarket exhaust mainly for the looks and it sounds slightly better but it's not a super soundtrack by all means. Unfortunately the Vulcan doesn't sound any better.

Ya sure I understand that but I don’t mind putting in some money gradually over a certain period of time for mods..About the exhaust I think the Diablo twin is decent enough for 5k..it’s made in Thailand or should I say finished in Thailand by a company called K-speed..suspension I can tolerate to a certain degree but the back seat is really not suitable for a passenger..a sissy bar & a customized seat we’re looking at another 5k & the gear indicator 1k..so its 11k in total to start with initially..now remember there’s no registration fee & they’re giving me 1 year first class insurance plus 5k in coupons for mods..

43 minutes ago, Avrock said:

Ya sure I understand that but I don’t mind putting in some money gradually over a certain period of time for mods..About the exhaust I think the Diablo twin is decent enough for 5k..it’s made in Thailand or should I say finished in Thailand by a company called K-speed..suspension I can tolerate to a certain degree but the back seat is really not suitable for a passenger..a sissy bar & a customized seat we’re looking at another 5k & the gear indicator 1k..so its 11k in total to start with initially..now remember there’s no registration fee & they’re giving me 1 year first class insurance plus 5k in coupons for mods..

The biggest mistake I have made over the years was to not test ride when I had the chance. They "threw" a test ride at me in the UK on a new CRF Rally and I shyly said no thanks, wish I had tried one. Other bikes too, just being polite...so if you get the chance, perhaps see something secondhand, give it a go. I find rarely are bikes exactly as they seem, some surprise, others disappoint, too late when you have shelled out your hard earned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/8/2017 at 2:03 PM, AllanB said:

The biggest mistake I have made over the years was to not test ride when I had the chance. They "threw" a test ride at me in the UK on a new CRF Rally and I shyly said no thanks, wish I had tried one. Other bikes too, just being polite...so if you get the chance, perhaps see something secondhand, give it a go. I find rarely are bikes exactly as they seem, some surprise, others disappoint, too late when you have shelled out your hard earned.

A bit hard in Thailand to test right?