Video: If you want a taxi - call a policeman!

webfact

Video: If you want a taxi - call a policeman!

7.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Thai social media was full of praise for a Bangkok cop shown on a video calling a taxi for a woman after many refused to stop.

The cop put up his hand to stop a cab and the woman finally was able to go on her way. Prior to this a poster said that many had just left her standing there.

The cop then pulls over another taxi and appears to be about to fine him or give him a lecture.

Netizens praised the cop in a story viewed almost a quarter of a million times over the weekend.

It happened under the BTS station at Udom Suk in south eastern Bangkok.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-06

In Bangkok it happens all the time, that Taxi´s are in the middle lane with the "available" sign turned on, but just ignoring customers.  Many others won´t go to your destination.  In many sois plenty of Taxi´s waiting for customers, but will all refuse to use the meter and charge you triple price. I have recently found this problem in Sukhumvit road soi 13, soi 11, soi 23/1 and soi 4.

57 minutes ago, Xonax said:

In Bangkok it happens all the time, that Taxi´s are in the middle lane with the "available" sign turned on, but just ignoring customers.  Many others won´t go to your destination.  In many sois plenty of Taxi´s waiting for customers, but will all refuse to use the meter and charge you triple price. I have recently found this problem in Sukhumvit road soi 13, soi 11, soi 23/1 and soi 4.

You've got no chance around Nana and very little around Asoke. 

I used to live at On Nut and if I needed a taxi from Nana I'd walk down to macdonalds near Soi 4 and try to get a taxi going just past there (so heading away from Nana). Generally can get one on the meter almost straight away, the ones hanging around are just looking for tourists who won't hassle them as much about the meter. 

I think Uber might be illegal in Thailand? not sure. I just recently tried Uber in Malaysia for the first time. Worked very well. Uber offers multiple different services, some of which are way more expensive than a standard Taxi. Customers using Uber state the main reason for using it is that it is convenient, the price picture is not the main reason. So why doesn't Uber get in touch with the taxi organizations, and offer "UberTaxi" along with UberBlack, UberBig and whatever other services they have now? I think many people will use UberTaxi, even if it is slightly more expensive than the cheapest Uber driver, just because it is a licensed and insured taxi. And if it was as convenient as an Uber driver, no contest.

Edited by AlQaholic

Been using Grab Taxi for several years now and never a problem, always courteous and if they get stuck in a traffic jam on the way to pick you up, they will call and ask if you want them to keep coming or cancel because of the delay.

Trying to get a taxi on Silom or Suriwongse during the evening without a rip-off price is almost impossible ,so I wander off to RAMA IV where I seldom have problems. 

Kudos to the policeman - need more like him!!

3 hours ago, Xonax said:

Taxi drivers are not obligated to stop and being in the middle lane is a good indication that they are not looking for a fare at that moment but if they do stop they are obligated to accept the fare.

Not all taxis waiting for customers refuse to use the meter and not all of them charge triple the fare.

31 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Uber is not here legally. 

So Who cares ,,Thousand of  things in Thailand are Not legal,,,Start with Corruption and work you way around the country to village Headman pocketing money and not spending it in the village but to family and friends.

cartoon courtesy of Bangkok Post

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

1 hour ago, wavemanwww said:

I like the copper. Should be in charge of those cops that sit on their rear an do nought. Double his pay.

Yeah the way he managed to block the left hand turn lane was amazing.

Give it 2 or 3 minutes and that traffic would have backed up for miles.

8 minutes ago, digger70 said:

So Who cares ,,Thousand of  things in Thailand are Not legal,,,Start with Corruption and work you way around the country to village Headman pocketing money and not spending it in the village but to family and friends.

People who use them, assuming they have insurance cover, should care but I don't care if they do or don't, I was just making the point that the beloved (by Thaivisa posters) Uber service is not legal.

What have corrupt village headmen got to do with getting a taxi in Bangkok?

Just now, Just Weird said:

People who use them, assuming they have insurance cover, should care but I don't care if they do or don't, I was just making the point that the beloved (by Thaivisa posters) Uber service is not legal.

What have corrupt village headmen got to do with getting a taxi in Bangkok?

Same thing ,,,corrupt drivers and refusing to use the Meter and over charging not using Meter,,,Happy now  ?:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, digger70 said:

Same thing ,,,corrupt drivers and refusing to use the Meter and over charging not using Meter,,,Happy now  ?:thumbsup:

Yes, of course, you're quite right, corrupt village headmen and problems getting a taxi in Bangkok are identical.  I wasn't unhappy but I imagine that you are happy.

5 hours ago, TheRascal said:

You've got no chance around Nana and very little around Asoke. 

So not true. Just get in and state your destination. Don't open the door and ask for "meter?". I spent about 2 weeks this year in the Nana area and except for very short rides have always paid the meter price.

Edited by wump

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Taxi drivers are not obligated to stop and being in the middle lane is a good indication that they are not looking for a fare at that moment but if they do stop they are obligated to accept the fare.

Not all taxis waiting for customers refuse to use the meter and not all of them charge triple the fare.

If they are not looking for a fare is it really so difficult for them to turn off their red light? Apparently so.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If they are not looking for a fare is it really so difficult for them to turn off their red light? Apparently so.

What difference does it make to anyone whether the light is on or off, it's not legislated. If the taxi is driving past it's obvious that it's not available and no potential passenger is going to be inconvenienced because they won't be interacting with that taxi.

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

So TURN OFF THE BLOODY LIGHT if you're not available to pick up passengers......simple.

5 hours ago, chinostar said:

Bangkok taxi drivers are gangsters, no respect for the law.

It's kind of ridiculous needing the assistance of a police officer to halt a taxi. <deleted>?

And this is Bangkok 2017?

No, they're obviously not gangsters, nor anything like gangsters and police assistance is never necessary to get a taxi.  Perhaps this officer was feeling particularly sympathetic towards the girl but I'd be certain that she did not specifically ask for his help, who would do that knowing it's not their job?