Anyone else caught in the mass traffic jam from Lampang to Lamphun on Sunday evening?

thaibeachlovers

Amazing sight as thousands of vehicles moved nose to tail at walking speed/ stationary for many kilometers trying to get over the hill. Took at least 5 hours to finish at 10.30pm.

Nothing in the news section about it.

Is it a normal event, or was there some extraordinary event resulting in at least 5,000 vehicles all trying to go over at the same time?

Wasn't helped by only one lane being open at the top of the hill.

37 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

Only one lane open at the top?  Have you seen how slowly fully loaded trucks crawl up that hill?  No wonder there was a jam :biggrin:

That was nothing to do with the jam. The entire hill road was solid when I arrived at it and everyone crawled up. Both lanes up the hill and even the hard shoulder being used with everything crawling up. Jam started before the trucks started coming.

I am aware that the jam was more severe because of the three lanes into one at the top, but my question was if that is normal amount of vehicles or if something extraordinary was causing it. Over 5,000 vehicles all at once seems unusual to me on the Lampun Rd, having driven it many times without even slowing down. At 5.30pm, the traffic extended all the way from Lampang to the hill, though it was going a bit faster on the flat.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That was nothing to do with the jam. The entire hill road was solid when I arrived at it and everyone crawled up. Both lanes up the hill and even the hard shoulder being used with everything crawling up. Jam started before the trucks started coming.

I am aware that the jam was more severe because of the three lanes into one at the top, but my question was if that is normal amount of vehicles or if something extraordinary was causing it. Over 5,000 vehicles all at once seems unusual to me on the Lampun Rd, having driven it many times without even slowing down. At 5.30pm, the traffic extended all the way from Lampang to the hill, though it was going a bit faster on the flat.

Yes, it is unusual - I have also driven that road many times... the most likely thing to me is that there might have been an accident that started the back-up... though I could also imagine it does not take too many trucks going 10km an hour to bottle up one lane... I have never seen that road reduced to a narrowing of one lane...