Thanksgiving turkey

gnatman

Rimping has them normally. DO not know if there is one in CR. Generally, finding a good quality turkey is a problem. Has been in the past. My friend went away from Turkey and bought ? I believe there are Thai turkeys. Foreign turkeys are few and far between and expensive. If you really want good turkey you need to go to a restaurant like Duke's (in Chiang Mai). I think they get their turkeys from Rimping.

1 hour ago, ebean001 said:

Rimping has them normally. DO not know if there is one in CR. Generally, finding a good quality turkey is a problem. Has been in the past. My friend went away from Turkey and bought ? I believe there are Thai turkeys. Foreign turkeys are few and far between and expensive. If you really want good turkey you need to go to a restaurant like Duke's (in Chiang Mai). I think they get their turkeys from Rimping.

Just what I was going to say. Rimping just across the river from the old city center in CM is the place to go. The store manager there went out of her way to help me find what I wanted (finally sent me to a different Rimping)

I was in Makro yesterday, I couldn't see anything there.

They have smaller pieces of Artisan Parmesan cheese there now, 700gms for 500B which considering how well it keeps is not a bad deal.

There's a problem with the pricing though, it took a while to get it checked through which the girl seemed to decide was my fault.

It looks like it's going to be another bad year this Thanksgiving, once again, for anything other than Thai turkeys.

I got a flyer in the mail today from Foodland supermarket chain in BKK with the whole top of front page promoting their various Thanksgiving specials -- pork roast, bbq ham, goose, duck, beef tenderloin, roast chicken...

Not a single mention of turkey or a turkey to be seen in their flyer...

Last year, as best as I can recall, they seemed to have a very few leftover frozen U.S. turkeys, apparently from the prior year. Based on their Thanksgiving promo flyer, it would seem this year will probably pretty much have zero.

Central in BKK last year offered some not very good looking Thai turkeys. But I don't think Foodland or Villa ever stooped to offering those.

Turkey imports have been banned because of diseases at the beginning of this year from America. If the ban continues Thailand is looking to import from Europe next year.

If you want to purchase "live" Thailand grown Turkeys as I have for this year holidays 

call this number: <send PM to ask for number>

His an American called Nick

Cell: <send PM to ask for number>

He will process the meat when asked .

I bought at 800 BHT per Kilo

( 2nd year in a row )

he will negotiate for larger quantities 

Hope it helps Regards,

I think the import restrictions date back to the Avian Flu outbreak in the U.S. in 2015.  U.S. exported turkeys in Thailand have been rare for the past couple years, and apparently the same this year again.

FWIW, that's not stopping the turkey market or sales in the U.S., where Butterball turkeys this year are selling for as low as $1 a pound, according to the following U.S. news report from earlier this month:

http://www.wbay.com/content/news/Wholesale-turkey-prices-lowest-in-the-last-three-years-454801663.html

"Butterballs are going to be $0.99 a pound with an additional $20 purchase and then the Essential Everyday ones will drop to $0.59 a pound with an additional $20 purchase as well," said Glodoski.

5a0d5dfb22216_2017-11-1616_43_48-Wholesaleturkeypriceslowestinthelastthreeyears.jpg.9814e88edaf75dfc73deebd6310299cb.jpg

1 hour ago, Capone said:

Turkey imports have been banned because of diseases at the beginning of this year from America. If the ban continues Thailand is looking to import from Europe next year.

If you want to purchase "live" Thailand grown Turkeys as I have for this year holidays 

call this number:

His an American called Nick

Cell:

He will process the meat when asked .

I bought at 800 BHT per Kilo

( 2nd year in a row )

he will negotiate for larger quantities 

Hope it helps Regards,

In accordance with forum rules the telephone number has been removed, anyone interested in the turkeys please contact Capone via PM to obtain it.

18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile page.

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think the import restrictions date back to the Avian Flu outbreak in the U.S. in 2015.  U.S. exported turkeys in Thailand have been rare for the past couple years, and apparently the same this year again.

FWIW, that's not stopping the turkey market or sales in the U.S., where Butterball turkeys this year are selling for as low as $1 a pound, according to the following U.S. news report from earlier this month:

http://www.wbay.com/content/news/Wholesale-turkey-prices-lowest-in-the-last-three-years-454801663.html

5a0d5dfb22216_2017-11-1616_43_48-Wholesaleturkeypriceslowestinthelastthreeyears.jpg.9814e88edaf75dfc73deebd6310299cb.jpg

I'm not that big of a turkey fan, but those sure look good. And a price of around B65/kg is certainly better than the price at Tops. Are those boxes of stuffing mix at the end of the row? 

I'm surprised Le Meridien doesn't try a Thanksgiving buffet. For that matter, I haven't seen a promotion for their Christmas Eve dinner yet either.

4 hours ago, Capone said:

I actually did see in BKK a few advertisement for hotels , thanksgiving buffets and special dinner Turkeys. So if you are going out there is hope :)

Landmark Hotel in BKK is one of those I've seen lately.  Usually, the nearby Bully's Pub and the Bourbon Street restaurant in Ekamai have turkey buffets as well, though I haven't seen anything as yet from the latter two this year.

PS - Don't know where the Landmark is getting their turkeys from. Would really like to know!!!

5a0e613d3eb16_2017-11-1711_06.jpg.00bed1356b0302d0e6534bc37e7ab4fe.jpg

The early bird tickets from the Huntsman for 800b net per person isn't a bad deal, given typical Thanksgiving meal prices.

11 minutes ago, Capone said:

has anyone ever tried to eat locally Thailand raised free range turkeys ? and if so how do they taste or compare ? 

I have not personally. But others here who have posted on them in the past have described them, comparatively, as kind of scrawny and not especially good.

2 minutes ago, Capone said:

Thank you . very much . do you know anyone in this type of field by any chance ?

Sorry... nope...

But I do love a good Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner, if I can avoid paying 1000-2000 baht per person for it!  :smile:

BTW, for the budget minded, the Took Lae Dee coffee shops in Foodland supermarkets used to have modest turkey dinner plates offered for eat-in or take out, usually in the 300-400 baht range. And when I say modest, I mean MODEST... But at least, it was a bit of the various things...  Haven't see any mention this year as yet, however.

35 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I have not personally. But others here who have posted on them in the past have described them, comparatively, as kind of scrawny and not especially good.

Years ago I bought a live turkey in Vientiane, the Lao PDR, I never saw it prepared but my Lao friends roasted it very slowly over about 8 hours and it was very nice.

I remember they put the potatoes in with it at the same time and when they came out they were crisp right through.

Arroy mak.

Gets me hungry thinking about it. 

Thanks for the heads up. how much did you pay for it in Vientiane? I think there is only just little awareness as of now on just how much you can do with turkey meat . if you happen to see someone interested do send him my way please . Would like to further the discussion :)

Archived