SETV from Australia ?

You should not have a problem getting a single entry tourist visa. Where you apply for it would determine the requirements.

This from the embassy website after you enter you country on this page. http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

Documents Required:

• Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page);
  • A completed and signed application FORM A;
  • One passport-size photograph (3.5 x 4.5 cm.) taken within 6 months with a full-face view without hat or glasses. (Photocopy not accepted);
  • A copy of the biographic page of your passport or travel document;
  • A copy of airline ticket confirming the date of your arrival to Thailand as well as your departure from the country;  
  • If you are not an Australian citizen, a proof of Australia Electronic Visa is required.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Has anyone from Aus arrived at the airport and applied for a 'Tourist Visa on Arrival'? 

You get a 30 day visa exempt entry. All you need is your passport and a completed arrival/departure card.

You cannot apply for any visa at the airport if you are from Australia.

Unless you are frequent traveler to here you will not likely to be asked to show the 10k baht needed for a visa exempt entry.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You get a 30 day visa exempt entry. All you need is your passport and a completed arrival/departure card.

Unless you are frequent traveler to here you will not likely to be asked to show the 10k baht needed for a visa exempt entry.

Thanks Joe - much appreciated.

8 hours ago, one baht said:

This may be of interest, The Thai Consulate in Melbourne does not require an outward bound itinerary for a SETV

My understanding is that this is true for Brits, Yanks and Aussies, but may not be true for some other nationalities. (Maybe, my information is outdated.)

They have  2 forms Tim  ,Form A .  and   Form B.  So it looks as though Form A would be available to quite a few according to the list below .

VISA APPLICATION FORM 

Passport/Travel Document bearers who hold the nationalities, listed below, use FORM B. 

Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Central African Republic, China, Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Guinea, India, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Sao Tome and Principe, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Just a short note to add to this. I lived and worked in Thailand for 11 years before I retired. I returned to Oz to finalize some business, got an Elite Visa approved but had to return here before the welcome letter was sent. I decided to come back on the 30 day visa exempt entry procedure. The IO at Suvarnabhumi didn't ask to see any money but did ask for the onward flight ticket [I had a cheap one to KL].

Tim, I used to travel to Thailand quite regular before I retired here and all I ever did was to arrive and go through immigration here with my passport only and it would be stamped and that was good for 30 days and just before the 30 days expired you could go to any immigration office and get a 30 day extension. You do not need to apply for a tourist visa because Thailand accept an Australian Passport for entry.

The 30 day visa is if you arrive by ship or by plane, if you arrive by crossing a land border you only get a 15 day visa which can be extended by 30 days

Edited by Russell17au
needed to add more detail

7 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Tim, I used to travel to Thailand quite regular before I retired here and all I ever did was to arrive and go through immigration here with my passport only and it would be stamped and that was good for 90 days and just before the 90 days expired you could go to any immigration office and get either a 30 or 60 day extension. You do not need to apply for a tourist visa because Thailand accept an Australian Passport for entry

I believe you can only get a 30 day visa exempt entry now which can be extended for another 30 days.

23 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Tim, I used to travel to Thailand quite regular before I retired here and all I ever did was to arrive and go through immigration here with my passport only and it would be stamped and that was good for 30 days and just before the 30 days expired you could go to any immigration office and get a 30 day extension. You do not need to apply for a tourist visa because Thailand accept an Australian Passport for entry.

The 30 day visa is if you arrive by ship or by plane, if you arrive by crossing a land border you only get a 15 day visa which can be extended by 30 days

Indeed, many nationalities can enter Thailand visa exempt. In the past, a continuous series of back-to-back visa exempt entries could even be used to live in Thailand. Today, if you try to overuse visa exempt entries, immigration may deny you entry. If entering by land, you can only (at most) use two visa exempt entries per calendar year. By air, there is no hard limit. However, starting in 2014, immigration was told that back-to-back visa exempt entries should not be allowed (qualified a few days later for a directive that this policy should be applied flexibly).

Where someone only visits Thailand a couple of times a year for less than 30 days, the visa exempt entry is the way to go. Usually, if staying more than 30 days, a tourist visa is a better option (although a 30-day entry can be extended at immigration on payment of 1,900 baht).

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

My understanding is that this is true for Brits, Yanks and Aussies, but may not be true for some other nationalities. (Maybe, my information is outdated.)

The Melbourne consulate has tightened right up on requirements this year. For all classes of visa an outward bound ticket and date of departure are required. Don't even get me started on the new requirements for a multiple entry Non Immigrant "B" visa :saai:

3 hours ago, Russell17au said:

if you arrive by crossing a land border you only get a 15 day visa which can be extended by 30 days

That's been changed to a 30 day entry by land.

On 11/8/2017 at 11:08 AM, ELVIS123456 said:

applied for a 'Tourist Visa on Arrival'? 

There is no "Tourist visa on arrival." The "visa on arrival" is only available to certain nationalities. If you are Australian (or many other nationalities) you'd get a visa exempt entry, i.e. you'd be given permission to stay for 30 days without obtaining a visa of any kind. Note that some airlines will refuse to board you without a visa in your passport if you do not have a flight booked out of the country (because if, for some reason, you were refused entry, the airline would be responsible for flying you out).

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Maejo Man said:

The Melbourne consulate has tightened right up on requirements this year. For all classes of visa an outward bound ticket and date of departure are required. Don't even get me started on the new requirements for a multiple entry Non Immigrant "B" visa :saai:

I did not need a outward bound ticket for a tourist visa in April at the Melbourne consulate. When were the requirements tightened?

6 minutes ago, Spock said:

I did not need a outward bound ticket for a tourist visa in April at the Melbourne consulate. When were the requirements tightened?

Only a ticket to here is required. See this info dated July 14th of this year.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/564565b4e4b03880a2ff050f/t/596eb3e5ff7c506a1a1778ec/1500427239397/TR-Single-14717.pdf

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

That's been changed to a 30 day entry by land.

There is no "Tourist visa on arrival." The "visa on arrival" is only available to certain nationalities. If you are Australian (or many other nationalities) you'd get a visa exempt entry, i.e. you'd be given permission to stay for 30 days without obtaining a visa of any kind. Note that some airlines will refuse to board you without a visa in your passport if you do not have a flight booked out of the country (because if, for some reason, you were refused entry, the airline would be responsible for flying you out).

Thanks Suradit - I think I will get a standard tourist Visa - better safe than sorry.  Long way to go to maybe have problems because some 'officer of the day' decides to be a pain in the ......... 

19 hours ago, Spock said:

I was in the consulate in August when applying for a non immigrant "B" visa. I had already spoken to them on the phone as to new requirements, and was told I had to have a confirmed flight ticket and a departure date along with all the usual company documents. She said that this was a requirement now for all visas.

2 hours ago, Maejo Man said:

was told I had to have a confirmed flight ticket and a departure date

This requirement (which exists at many consulates) has always mystified me. At first blush, it seems as though they want to be sure you are going to visit Thailand before issuing the visa. Do they really worry about someone getting the visa and then not using it? Is there some reason they want to be sure people are planning to enter by air, and not, say, overland after a holiday in Malaysia?

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This requirement (which exists at many consulates) has always mystified me.

I think it is asked for as proof that the person applying for the visa is actually in the country where it is applied for. It is a way insure a person did not mail their passport and application to a friend (or an agent) who then sent it to the embassy or consulate.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This requirement (which exists at many consulates) has always mystified me.

I think it is asked for as proof that the person applying for the visa is actually in the country where it is applied for. It is a way insure a person did not mail their passport and application to a friend (or an agent) who then sent it to the embassy or consulate.

That makes some sense, but consulates still ask for it along with copies of entry stamps in the passport that show your entry into the country where you are doing the application. Surely, one or the other ought to be sufficient, especially as the flight reservation is easily faked if someone is trying to beat the system.

On 11/9/2017 at 10:45 AM, Maejo Man said:

Don't even get me started on the new requirements for a multiple entry Non Immigrant "B" visa :saai:

That would be of interest because all they say is that now there are strict conditions in issuing multiple entry nonBs.

What do they want to see extra compared to before apart from plane ticket?

On 09/11/2017 at 10:45 AM, Maejo Man said:

Everyone has an opinion or offering. 

Can only speak as happens to oneself.

I have had many tourist visa applications from Melbourne. 

Last one October 2017.

On Australian and UK passports 

(dual national,  and not a politician. )

Never been asked for an itinerary. 

In fact the form says to not book until you get a TR visa.

$55 now single entry. Sixty days. 

Lodge one day and pick up two days later. 

Airline does check at Melbourne for visa.

I always have a return ticket. 

But have never been challenged in Thailand. 

Have never been asked about funds.

Have travelled to Thailand on APEC business and 30 day waivers, and currently TR visas.

About to do my retirement visa.

The only issue ever was jomtien immigration trying to suggest that I had too many TR 60 days when I went to get a 30 day extension once.

Which proved to be an over zealous officer putting his own translations on the immigration rules. BS

Melbourne told me this was rubbish. 

On 11/9/2017 at 10:45 AM, Maejo Man said:

The Melbourne consulate has tightened right up on requirements this year. For all classes of visa an outward bound ticket and date of departure are required. Don't even get me started on the new requirements for a multiple entry Non Immigrant "B" visa

I  got a setv last month from Melbourne and i had no return or onward flight..same as earlier in the year..