Four foreign tourists dead as van slams in to turning 10 wheel truck

snoop1130

10 hours ago, coulson said:

The van was unable to stop because it was trailing by about 10ft at 100kmph as usual.

Wake up Thailand, hub of road fatalities.

RIP

Even so, presuming brake lights were working you would hope the van had good enough brakes to pull up better than a heavy truck. So add not paying attention to the list. Or perhaps using the phone.  I detect an inability to think ahead..... like there is a 5 second brain delay. They do it when pulling out too!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, coulson said:

The van was unable to stop because it was trailing by about 10ft at 100kmph as usual.

Wake up Thailand, hub of road fatalities.

RIP

100 km/h? Add 20,30,40 to this number. Many of these drivers are maniacs. I really don't understand the mentality other than it reflects the driving/riding mentality of the nation as a whole. Just more lives wasted due to idiocy.

Was there not a accident involving one of these vans,earlier this year in Chon Buri, resulting in a number of passenger being burnt to death. Then did the government bring a law in, banning such mode of thransport from August,to be replaced by a small size bus. Or is my memory failing me.

Very sad, families back home will be devastated.

I just happen to be in the  Bang Pa-in / Ayutthaya area yesterday, we had our first getaway road trip  (since living in BKK) to Khao Yai for a few days .

OMG I could not believe what I observed from drivers on Thai highways, very few used indicators to change lanes, idiots diving radically in and out of lanes, excessive unnecessary speeding and generally no considerations for other road uses.

Now I know this is not unique to Thailand but IMHO drivers here lack any sense of the consequences of their actions, there is little defensive driving techniques, or any anticipation of what is happening in front of them, to the side of them or what's behind them. 

It seems many just drive to what suits their immediate needs, Thai road rules, well they are just guidelines..................

My wife was driving so I had the opportunity to observe this radical  driving experience first hand, I would like to say it was only a minority but unfortunately from what I saw yesterday it was the majority.

We have a dash car camera, and captured events on Khao Yai countryside roads where we were almost wiped out by vehicles overtaking us on curves and hills.

Thank God my wife had all the traditional Buddha artifacts in the car, we actually got back to BKK alive and the car in tact.

I think "mission impossible" to change the driving culture of many Thais.  

Was there not a accident involving one of these vans,earlier this year in Chon Buri, resulting in a number of passenger being burnt to death. Then did the government bring a law in, banning such mode of thransport from August,to be replaced by a small size bus. Or is my memory failing me.

You are correct! But it’s still going on!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Looks to me like he hit it very fast maybe didn't notice it turning till it was too late .

So many drivers zig zagging through all the lanes at about 140kph only to be going about 70kph a few k's down the road when I go past them.

What is up with these people?

They really need a points system and a ban but then again lots haven't even got a licence 

11 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

A very high impact by the look of it....and yet again, slamming into the rear of another vehicle!

RiP the tourists.....

" ...slamming into the rear of another vehicle..."

This is the reason my Thai son will not allow his wife or  daughters to travel in the cars of his wife's relatives. All of them very closely and continuously tailgate other vehicles, of all sizes. 

Two years back one female relative who does the tailgate routine all the time and at high speed usually just 2 two metres behind was killed when she slammed into the back of a big pick up.

Family says is was just bad luck.

9 hours ago, kaorop said:

You would think someone would NOT blame the dead for the simple action of catching a bus..  Stupid comment, please think before posting in such threads..

Agreed. Tourists often aren’t equipped with the knowledge of foreign residents or locals. Completely NOT their fault may they rest in piece and sincere condolences to their families who must be completely devastated!

58 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Nice how these outstanding Van drivers like to gamble with the life of passengers to gain 10 minutes.

Gps tracker removed or never installed i guess.

Putting GPS trackers into vehicles doesn't stop stupidity, never has and never will. 

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

" ...slamming into the rear of another vehicle..."

This is the reason my Thai son will not allow his wife or  daughters to travel in the cars of his wife's relatives. All of them very closely and continuously tailgate other vehicles, of all sizes. 

Two years back one female relative who does the tailgate routine all the time and at high speed usually just 2 two metres behind was killed when she slammed into the back of a big pick up.

Family says is was just bad luck.

Yep, bad luck brought on by stupidity and a complete lack of meaningful training. 

Thats a nasty way to go, and scary for many farang who will travel these vans soon on a 8 hour visa run.

Dont have to look real hard to know what happen

Van speeding and when directly behind traffic often cannot tell if the vehicle ahead is at a stop or just mooving slow

No time to stop if going quick and approaching a stopped vehicle

" Thank God my wife had all the traditional Buddha artifacts in the car, we actually got back to BKK alive and the car in tact."

Nothing to do with your wife's good driving, hey?

It's these "traditional Buddha artifacts" that are the cause of the accidents....."I have some magical force field around my vehicle, so I can drive like a maniac because Buddha protects me."

i am by no mean defending the vans,and I know many drivers are over worked,underqualified and poor at best,,but I will say...if you drive the highways in Thailand and know the sheer number of vans  on any giver day is unblelievable ,some of which , go to small villages buses do not...most drivers are great but ,some are bad...it is war on these roads..drive to stay alive..but with some respect for other mtorists...

Very sad, families back home will be devastated.

I just happen to be in the  Bang Pa-in / Ayutthaya area yesterday, we had our first getaway road trip  (since living in BKK) to Khao Yai for a few days .

OMG I could not believe what I observed from drivers on Thai highways, very few used indicators to change lanes, idiots diving radically in and out of lanes, excessive unnecessary speeding and generally no considerations for other road uses.

Now I know this is not unique to Thailand but IMHO drivers here lack any sense of the consequences of their actions, there is little defensive driving techniques, or any anticipation of what is happening in front of them, to the side of them or what's behind them. 

It seems many just drive to what suits their immediate needs, Thai road rules, well they are just guidelines..................

My wife was driving so I had the opportunity to observe this radical  driving experience first hand, I would like to say it was only a minority but unfortunately from what I saw yesterday it was the majority.

We have a dash car camera, and captured events on Khao Yai countryside roads where we were almost wiped out by vehicles overtaking us on curves and hills.

Thank God my wife had all the traditional Buddha artifacts in the car, we actually got back to BKK alive and the car in tact.

I think "mission impossible" to change the driving culture of many Thais.  

Khao Yai and to Kanchanaburi is the worst. Mostly Bangkok lunatics on a weekend trip. Still drunk and high from last night.

Unfortunately a tragedy like this only results in yet another one week crackdown on driving then back to business as usual (high speed manic driving with no regard for road laws).  Thailand has one of the highest per capita police forces in the world but probably one of the lowest active rates.

Archived