Four foreign tourists dead as van slams in to turning 10 wheel truck

snoop1130

16 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Now time for big laugh :cheesy: Today i went driving my car I got my nerves back So i was travelling down the 2 lane road and saw all these cars stopped in left lane. I was in in left Lane Get ready for this one guys it really cracked me up There was a car stopped in this lane holding up traffic  Guess what she /he was doing?  Drum roll Ladies and Gentlemen  They were waiting to change lanes like you do when you are driving along and indicate that you are  moving across to the other lane except they had stopped to do this Anybody ever seen that one before Truth it is first time i have ever seen that  :clap2: I think out of 10 Thai drivers would rate -5

Oh yes....quite normal for a vehicle to stop in the center lane of a 3 lane major road, as there's a U turn they want to use.....

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Oh yes....quite normal for a vehicle to stop in the center lane of a 3 lane major road, as there's a U turn they want to use.....

Time for another drink you think Chris?  Seeing is believing   Glad  i not only one who have seen this Ask you a question? Do you think 30,000 Thais will die in road crashes next year? I dont I think it will be more like 35,000 They are getting worse on the roads

I have posted this last year but as things in regard to road safety in Thailand have not progress in 12 month I've put it up again.

Very much enjoying my stay in Thailand and for the last 6 weeks but I have made the motorbike journey on a Monday Cha-am to Hue Hin and return. This week I handed my motor bike back and decided the catch the mini bus too and from to Hue Hin.

The Cha-am to Hue Hin leg had its moments like one passenger with child next to me they wanted to get off about half way.  So from the middle lane travelling about 120kph she calls stop!!!  So across 3 lanes we stop in the motorbike lane (far left), smoke coming from the tyres we stop.  Me being polite and having the middle seat, I stand up so the lady can get by me to get OFF only to find I am on my head upside down in the seat in front.  As the driver had gone past the bus stop, after stopping he suddenly reversed at full throttle about 50kph for about 300 metres. A bit of pride lost managed to smile.  This apparently normal in Thailand.

THE RETURN TRIP TO CHA-AM…I believe it is one of the silliest things I have ever done in my life is to take this trip.  it about 25km.  The forward trip bad enough but the return trip for this Toyota Mini Bus even in heavy traffic going from inside to outside lane repeatedly was always at full throttle.  Starting in 2nd gear, gear changers were only made at maximum revs, motor screaming!  Not a single vehicle passed us on this trip every vehicle in front of us we passed like they were standing still.  There was one moment when a group of young lads in a large pickup played a game with us but gave up when we hit 140kph.  On the straight sections once out of town the vehicle was on maximum revs and sat on 140kph.  On approaching Cha-am the bus changed lanes at least 10 times at high speed until a great moment in my life when I arrived at the Cha-am bus stop ALIVE.

Does anyone know why Farangs don’t like travelling in Mini buses???  I think bus drivers are paid a bonus depending on how quickly they can make the journey?

13 hours ago, dieseldave1951 said:

and what about the van driver ????

What about who?

Live by the sword you die by the sword! Problem is that these cretins take innocent others with them. :sad:

And who are you going to call to 'fix' this? Not Government, so you may as well call "Ghost Busters".  :coffee1: 

4 hours ago, David Walden said:
I have posted this last year but as things in regard to road safety in Thailand have not progress in 12 month I've put it up again.

Very much enjoying my stay in Thailand and for the last 6 weeks but I have made the motorbike journey on a Monday Cha-am to Hue Hin and return. This week I handed my motor bike back and decided the catch the mini bus too and from to Hue Hin.

The Cha-am to Hue Hin leg had its moments like one passenger with child next to me they wanted to get off about half way.  So from the middle lane travelling about 120kph she calls stop!!!  So across 3 lanes we stop in the motorbike lane (far left), smoke coming from the tyres we stop.  Me being polite and having the middle seat, I stand up so the lady can get by me to get OFF only to find I am on my head upside down in the seat in front.  As the driver had gone past the bus stop, after stopping he suddenly reversed at full throttle about 50kph for about 300 metres. A bit of pride lost managed to smile.  This apparently normal in Thailand.

THE RETURN TRIP TO CHA-AM…I believe it is one of the silliest things I have ever done in my life is to take this trip.  it about 25km.  The forward trip bad enough but the return trip for this Toyota Mini Bus even in heavy traffic going from inside to outside lane repeatedly was always at full throttle.  Starting in 2nd gear, gear changers were only made at maximum revs, motor screaming!  Not a single vehicle passed us on this trip every vehicle in front of us we passed like they were standing still.  There was one moment when a group of young lads in a large pickup played a game with us but gave up when we hit 140kph.  On the straight sections once out of town the vehicle was on maximum revs and sat on 140kph.  On approaching Cha-am the bus changed lanes at least 10 times at high speed until a great moment in my life when I arrived at the Cha-am bus stop ALIVE.

Does anyone know why Farangs don’t like travelling in Mini buses???  I think bus drivers are paid a bonus depending on how quickly they can make the journey?

It amazes me how in Thailand they find cctv and car cam footage of people doing wrong things, and the perpetrator/s often get caught, but no one has ever  taken footage of the dangerous driving being done in these vans :whistling:.

The problem is clear and simple - the police do not enforce the road rules.

The solution is clear and simple - get a new traffic police force.

5 hours ago, moe666 said:

So you think 5 MPH bumper would have made a difference

Crash impact protections amount to more than 5mph plastics. Whether they would made a difference in this case idk, nor does anyone who is not a fully qualified accident investigator whos assigned to this case..but please continue mocking people disscussing something you clearly have no idea about.

14 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

This does not only happen in Thailand. I live in North America and have seen drivers come to a complete stop in a merge lane and wait for a big traffic break instead of skillfully blending into the traffic.

10 hours ago, neeray said:

This does not only happen in Thailand. I live in North America and have seen drivers come to a complete stop in a merge lane and wait for a big traffic break instead of skillfully blending into the traffic.

In the US you can get shot for doing that?  LA almost normal.

On 11/9/2017 at 10:05 AM, Artisi said:

Wow, seems you can learn something new everyday, and here I was after 20 years in Thailand thinking that brake failure was one of the major reasons offered for the majority of fatal  accidents, but then of course maybe the OP was being factious about brake failure, and then on the other hand some people have no sense of understand or humour. 

Brake failure never, only brake maintenance neglect.  It's a bit like people blame computers for mistakes.  Computers never make mistales only humans do.

6 hours ago, David Walden said:

Brake failure never, only brake maintenance neglect.  It's a bit like people blame computers for mistakes.  Computers never make mistales only humans do.

Brake failure from a fully maintained system,  brake failure due to  lack of maintenance or incorrect driving techniques are distinct things. 

Brake failure from a fully maintained brake system can and do fail occasionally. 

Brakes becoming inoperative due to lack of maintenance is exactly what it is - failure due to lack of maintenance. 

The usual cry of brake failure is busses crashing in the mountains, usually from " riding" the brakes downhill in lieu of using the gearbox and correct driving techniques. 

This is neither brake failure or lack of maintenance - it's plan and simple brain failure. 

But learn to live with the one liner from many posters - "brake failure" it does cover a multitude of sins. 

On 08/11/2017 at 10:36 PM, balo said:

You would think Japanese tourists could afford a private driver , or just take the VIP bus. Those van drivers are the worst , avoid at all costs. 

How the hell do you think innocent tourists arriving in Bangkok are supposed to know the danger and risk of  travelling in these death traps, especially when they are offered as 'public transport'?

......Lambs to the slaughter!

"Sawadeekaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

"Welcome to Thailand!"

"This is important safety announcement. Do not waste time trying to find your seat belt and untangle it from under the seat. Please just turn on your smart phone and insert your ear plugs and pull the curtain, or do as we Thais do and just go to sleep. Please do not, under any circumstances, look out of the window. This could cause unnecessary stress or even a heart attack. Then, with any luck, when the end comes it will be instantaneous and you will die safely and blissfully unaware."

"Thank you for choosing to travel with DaiDai minibuses."

On 08/11/2017 at 9:32 PM, coulson said:

The van was unable to stop because it was trailing by about 10ft at 100kmph as usual.

Wake up Thailand, hub of road fatalities.

RIP

"Welcome to Thailand!"

"This is important safety announcement. Do not waste time trying to find your seat belt and untangling it from under your seat. Please just turn on your smart phone, insert your ear plugs and pull the curtain. Or better still, do as we Thais do and just go to sleep. Please do not, under any circumstances, look out of the window. This could cause you unnecessary stress or even a heart attack. Then, with any luck, when the end comes it will be instantaneous and you will die safely and blissfully unaware."

"Thank you for choosing to travel with DaiDai minibuses."

"Sawadeekaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2017 at 7:16 PM, Sinistralian said:

A tragic accident - and we've all seen the way these Hiace Van drivers behave be it on the open road or at junctions forging an imaginary lane on the inside - Oh I forget they're the 4th Emergency service of course - they own the road don't they . But seriously how regulated are the drivers and the vans - be they  public or private ? Some difficult answers  for the next of kin .

RIP

easy answer they are NOT regulated , they learn to drive on dirt paths 

Archived