Pentagon confirms rare, three aircraft carrier drill November 11-14

webfact

Pentagon confirms rare, three aircraft carrier drill November 11-14

tag_reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO - Admiral Scott Swift, Commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, speaks at a news conference near the damaged USS John McCain and the USS America at Changi Naval Base in Singapore August 22, 2017. REUTERS/Calvin Wong/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon said on Wednesday it would soon carry out the first exercise in a decade involving three aircraft carrier strike groups in the Western Pacific, confirming a Reuters report published on Monday.

"It is a rare opportunity to train with two aircraft carriers together, and even rarer to be able to train with three," Admiral Scott Swift, U.S. Pacific Fleet commander, said in a statement, adding the drills would take place from Saturday to Tuesday. U.S. Donald Trump will be travelling in Asia during the initial days of the drills.

"Multiple carrier strike force operations are very complex, and this exercise in the Western Pacific is a strong testament to the U.S. Pacific Fleet's unique ability and ironclad commitment to the continued security and stability of the region," Swift said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-09

Imagine the devastation that could be caused by 3 carriers operating together????

Bad enough when it is only a destroyer operating alone.

One thing though if they give out the co ordinates of the exercise early enough, it will give all other shipping time to vacate the area.:cheesy:

Been quite a few articles discussing modern missile technology and the vulnerability of aircraft carriers, suggesting they are going the way of the battleship. The belief is that they are now only good for intimidating 3rd world countries that can't fight back.

Suspect though the carriers have little to fear form N Korea...or they wouldn't be there. :smile:

Here's something to maybe consider: when I was a kid fights were usually one on one, however these days they tend to be gangs picking on one person, and we all agree they are cowardly acts. So why then when we see a massive military power invading poor, weak nations with no credible defense do we regard that as an act of bravery? In fact we are supposed to even go and thank them for their service. Maybe I'm just bone ignorant but what am I missing here?

1 hour ago, Rancid said:

So why then when we see a massive military power invading poor, weak nations with no credible defense do we regard that as an act of bravery?

By that, if you mean NK, no one's invading North Korea lately...

And if you mean NK as a "poor weak nation", you mean a nation with one of the largest standing armies in the world and nuclear weapons to boot...

I hardly think NK is a militarily  weak country- it has a huge standing army and millions of reservists. It has thousands of artillery pieces turned towards SKorea that can devastate Seoul within hours killing untold numbers of people. In addition, NK has missiles that can be launched against SKorea as well as Japan and possibly mainland America.  Throw in its nuclear missiles and bombs- I'd say the US power at the moment off the Korean coast is nowhere near enough to do the job .

If the US was going to attack NK or defend from an attack by NK you will see a massive shift of US ground forces from various areas and a huge air armada moved into position along the Korean perimeter.  I, for one, hope none of this is needed.

I am not the most brilliant tactician in the world by a long short but we regularly see Little Kimmy and all his generals together at one gathering or another.  Surely one precision instrument could take out the whole lot at one time.

I must question therefore why the need for a major build up of personnel.

I guess the reasoning is that if he is taken out then someone else will push the button but I am not too sure about that because they would push it anyway, even if there is an invasion.

Anyway..............greater minds than mine.

I am sure the US as well as SKorea tracks the N Korean leadership and possibly could send a drone in an attempt to execute the leadership. However, it is not as easy as one suggests- it took a long time to get Osama bin Laden and he had no technology protecting him.  

In addition- killing a foreign leader would be viewed as an act of war and could result in NKorea launching nuclear weapons.  America could not take the chance of being viewed as responsible for starting a nuclear war.

The Us Congress just passed a Defense Budget of 700 Billion dollars which is an increase of 70 billion over last year.  The Us has the largest military budget in the history of the World. I have been advocating for decades that the US defense budget be decreased but the politicians never listen.  These kind of numbers would buy Americans a huge amount of healthcare but the politicians and greedy business would allow millions to die with no healthcare than develop a reasonable budget that benefits all Americans.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

The Us Congress just passed a Defense Budget of 700 Billion dollars which is an increase of 70 billion over last year.  The Us has the largest military budget in the history of the World. I have been advocating for decades that the US defense budget be decreased but the politicians never listen.  These kind of numbers would buy Americans a huge amount of healthcare but the politicians and greedy business would allow millions to die with no healthcare than develop a reasonable budget that benefits all Americans.

You're right.  Yet, it would fund a lot more than healthcare.  

I can't overstate how obscene the amount allocated for US military and related services.  It's crazier than screen hatches on a submarine.

As I mentioned in another thread, the US spends around half a billion $$'s PER DAY on air conditioning for hundreds of US troops stationed in the M.East.   They could buy each soldier a new Toyota car each day for that amount.  Is it crazy or is it insane?

7 hours ago, Rancid said:

Been quite a few articles discussing modern missile technology and the vulnerability of aircraft carriers, suggesting they are going the way of the battleship. The belief is that they are now only good for intimidating 3rd world countries that can't fight back.

Suspect though the carriers have little to fear form N Korea...or they wouldn't be there. :smile:

Here's something to maybe consider: when I was a kid fights were usually one on one, however these days they tend to be gangs picking on one person, and we all agree they are cowardly acts. So why then when we see a massive military power invading poor, weak nations with no credible defense do we regard that as an act of bravery? In fact we are supposed to even go and thank them for their service. Maybe I'm just bone ignorant but what am I missing here?

You are not ignorant, but disingenuous. Equating school yard fights with international relations is not much of proposition.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

I'd even suspect that people would be less upset about money lining up pockets of Big Pharma executives compared to MIC ones, if they get something useful out of it - like a proper health care program.

The only way Americans will get a universal healthcare system is when a large percentage of Americans start speaking out and voting the issue.  Americans need to understand that the US is the only industrialised country that treats healthcare as a business and not a human right.  

Once a universal single payer healthcare system is put into place- Big Insurance goes out of business; Big Pharma takes less money; and For Profit Hospitals become redundant. The upside is Americans live instead of dying or going broke from illness.

9 hours ago, Thaidream said:

The US subsidizes its economy through the military industrial complex, the rest of the western world through healthcare. Up too you to believe which is the best model.  Personally I believe you help more of your citizens with public healthcare   but Americans believe being the biggest

baddest bully on the block is a better model. :coffee1:

17 hours ago, Rancid said:

Ah, so, I guess you've been in some REAL trouble spots where you really DID have to prove your bravery.

Well, oh brave, experienced, intrepid battlefield warrior, you should take a spin through an amputee ward at, say, Walter Reed, and let THEM explain things to you.   I'm sure you can get your questions answered there.

And THEN, although I realize your military genius derives from all those "articles", maybe you could "upgrade" your awesome tactical awareness with some reading on why carriers operate in carrier groups with different ships tailored to different threats.

Backbiters who've never seen a day...   'Always bending over backwards to share their ineffable wisdom.  How fortunate we all are.  :saai:

Edited by hawker9000

20 hours ago, Rancid said:

The cowardly act is when the leader of a country abuses his people just so he can stay in power and enjoy the good life.  While they suffer and stave.  Sad you don't see this.  And yes, you are missing it.

On 11/9/2017 at 4:52 PM, car720 said:

I am not the most brilliant tactician in the world by a long short but we regularly see Little Kimmy and all his generals together at one gathering or another.  Surely one precision instrument could take out the whole lot at one time.

I must question therefore why the need for a major build up of personnel.

I guess the reasoning is that if he is taken out then someone else will push the button but I am not too sure about that because they would push it anyway, even if there is an invasion.

Anyway..............greater minds than mine.

the problem i think is how many 'Little Kimmy's' are there