Notebook

llso

How much can I expect to pay for a very basic notebook just to do email and some web surfing ?

Take a look at Tesco Lotus, you might be surprised at what you find.

They have new HP notebooks for less than 20,000 baht that will easily do what ask.

Advantages of buying from Tesco include no extra charge for paying by credit card and you know they will be still in business in a years time. Disadvantage might be a lack of well informed sales staff.

Toshiba Thailand starts with the new series about 17.xxx and that is pretty cheap, even for me and I don't like Toshiba!! But you'll get a good value for your money!

Toshiba Thailand starts with the new series about 17.xxx and that is pretty cheap, even for me and I don't like Toshiba!! But you'll get a good value for your money!

I also have a problem with Toshiba's wouldn't touch or recommend it to anyone.....

i found this Notebook pretty cheap and does the basic things for sure too:

http://www.dcomputer.com/proinfo/product/o...is=32-ASU-A3H01

I buy notebooks from Global Access at Pantip, Rook 417.

They do excellent service to.

Check em out.

Don't confuse Global Access with Global Solutions. :o I bought an IBM laptop from them @ 90,000 baht with upgrades and later had to take it to them for warranty service. They switched batteries on me replacing it with a bad one and charged me extra for what should have been free under warranty. It also took them one week instead of the 2 days they promised (added hotel costs).....waste of time to argue with them, "do you want your computer or not"....maybe there could be a topic on this site, "where not to buy from"...or a complaint department..

Hi,

I'm not in BKK but will be coming up next week. How much can I expect to pay for a very basic notebook just to do email and some web surfing ? Is Panthip a good place to go?

Thanks in advance,

LL

A basic unit is best for emails and web surfing. Having a basic unit means you're not intending to run resource-hungry softwares and programs with high graphics demand.

You'll be needing one with the following:

512 Mb of Ram

80-100 Gig hard disc

you can get one anywhere between 20k to 29K

Get an HP unit, don't consider Acer

Stay away from second-hand ones. No good.

Hi,

I'm not in BKK but will be coming up next week. How much can I expect to pay for a very basic notebook just to do email and some web surfing ? Is Panthip a good place to go?

Thanks in advance,

LL

A basic unit is best for emails and web surfing. Having a basic unit means you're not intending to run resource-hungry softwares and programs with high graphics demand.

512 Mb of Ram

80-100 Gig hard disc

Why not Acer? They are everywhere in Thailand, and also in the rest of the world and seem quite good, so I'd like to understand? Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

LL

512 Mb of Ram

80-100 Gig hard disc

Actually Acer are quite nice Laptops and they have decent service here .....not sure how you made up your nr's , 512 mb is ok(as it is good for running XP to have this amount of RAM's), but 80 - 100 Gig Hard drive is really a lot . For email and websurfing a 40 Gig hard drive is sufficient.

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who replied, a lot of good information here. I'm looking to spend around 20-25K.

I've got a proper PC at home so this is just for my trips to Bangkok. I wouldn't have thought about the extra memory , good tip.

LL

Very basic, yet complete with wifi etc : 18000-20000. Cheap enough not to bother with secondhand IMO...

Box: Asus

CD/DVD-R writer: Yes

Onboard Microphone: no

Flash card slot: yes

USB 2: yes

Mouse: included

Cost: 19,500 (lower in some places)

Everthing most other high end notebooks do

Battery time - 2 hours

I brought 2 of them and for the cost I must say I am most impressed as it does more than any of the other ones here that cost twice the price.

Regarding Toshiba; I bought a smuggled (tax free but no warranty) Toshiba laptop in Hong Kong in 1998... it's still working almost as good as new today as my fax receiver and printer server having been in constant field use all over S & SE Asia until 2003 when I began to covet something a bit faster with more memory (and less bulk). The Tosh TE2100 that I replaced it with (Fortune plaza, Bkk) is still going strong.

Dunno about toshiba service centres cos i never had to use one, but i see them everywhere.

If you want a laptop for rough travelling rather than a lifestyle accessory go for something with a strong body, magnesium alloy or such like... make sure that the hinge parts are metal and part of the body cast. Press behind the screen when the computer is on to test the strength... if there is a lot of distortion on the screen then it's weak.

Applemac, Fujitsu, HP are other reliable laptops.

Has anyone seen any advertisements for the roll out of the new Vista operating system that will replace XP?... If you are in the market for a computer you could go two ways... wait and get the the most up to date operating system or wait and get a good deal on a tried and true XP machine when they need to clear the shelves for the new computers?...

Has anyone seen any advertisements for the roll out of the new Vista operating system that will replace XP?... If you are in the market for a computer you could go two ways... wait and get the the most up to date operating system or wait and get a good deal on a tried and true XP machine when they need to clear the shelves for the new computers?...

.. make that first option "wait and sign up for the extended Vista-beta program and help Microsoft iron out the bugs". I agree about the second option.

Both apply only if you insist on genuine software, otherwise any shop in Thailand will give you to option of installing either or both OSs.

I believe most manufacturers have a Vista upgrade program in place for genuine Windows XP machines. The idea is that you buy now, get XP, and later get a free upgrade to Vista. Or downgrade, see my mini review in this forum :o