• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 243

Should A Woman Be Allowed to hold the office of President of the USA?

2. 34

Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

3. 113

Harris Voices Outrage in Interview with Howard Stern

4. 0

Internet connection

5. 0

Phuket Employer Faces Legal Action Over Illegal Worker Incident

6. 15

The Urgency of Addressing Iran’s Nuclear Threat

7. 673

I Love Donald Trump

8. 3,864

Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

9. 9

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

10. 104

Why Do You Even Drink?

11. 57

Harris Blows an Easy Interview, Trump Pounces: She is Just Joe Biden Redux

12. 57

Harris Blows an Easy Interview, Trump Pounces: She is Just Joe Biden Redux

13. 34

Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

14. 0

Temple Scandal: Shocking Materials Found in Cave Waterfall Project

China media praises tone, outcome of Trump-Xi summit

webfact

China media praises tone, outcome of Trump-Xi summit

tag_reuters.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump and China's President Xi Jinping arrive for a state dinner at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China, November 9, 2017. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese state media on Friday praised the tone and outcome of U.S. President Donald Trump's visit to Beijing, saying he and Chinese President Xi Jinping were setting a new blueprint for handling relations and managing their differences.

Trump pressed China to do more to rein in North Korea on Thursday and said bilateral trade had been unfair to the United States, but praised Xi's pledge that China would be more open to foreign firms. The two also oversaw the signing of about $250 billion in commercial deals.

"Although the differences that had been pestering bilateral ties have not instantly disappeared, the most important takeaway from their talks in Beijing has been the constructive approach to these issues the two leaders demonstrated," the official China Daily said in an editorial.

"Both expressed their willingness to work with, instead of against, the other in dealing with the differences between their two countries, in particular over trade and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's nuclear programme," it added, using North Korea's formal name.

China lavished attention on Trump and his wife Melania during their visit, with Xi personally chaperoning them on a tour of the Forbidden City, part of what the Chinese government referred to as a "state visit plus".

Trump came to China pledging to ask Xi to play a bigger role in reining on North Korea, whose repeated nuclear and missile tests have angered both Washington and Beijing.

Xi, at least in public, went no further than reiterating China's determination to achieve denuclearisation through talks.

"China has tried its utmost, even at the sacrifice of Sino-North Korean relations," influential tabloid the Global Times wrote in its editorial.

"Trump has gradually learned that Beijing is indeed making selfless contributions to promoting the denuclearisation of the peninsula. He can't demand more."

China has repeatedly said it is committed to enforcing United Nations sanctions against North Korea, which does some 90 percent of its trade with China, but that more efforts need to be made to get everyone back to the negotiating table.

Su Xiaohui of the Foreign Ministry think-tank, the China Institute of International Studies, wrote in a front page commentary of the overseas edition of the ruling Communist Party's People's Daily that Sino-U.S. cooperation was the only correct choice for both countries.

"A new blueprint for China-U.S. relations is gradually unfolding," Su wrote.

(Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Michael Perry)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-10

28 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I liked both, his speech in China and the speech that followed in Viet Nam. Firm, assertive, honest and fair.

Not bad.  But 180 degrees opposite of what he ran on.  What a turncoat.  His supporters must be pissed. Or at least scratching their heads trying to figure out what's going on.

1 hour ago, Luckysilk said:

Well done Mr. President - his role as Statesmen playing the long game with China will benefit both country’s.

Meanwhile back in the states CNN will soon be reporting Putin has ties to the Russians lol.

You seriously think trump is playing the long game against the ultimate long game players, the Chinese? That's hilarious. He's retreated from leadership in Asia and indeed the entire world. He's all about short term TRANSACTIONAL deals. He thinks like the corrupt real estate branding con man that he is and always will be. He has no long term policy. He's basically all about his last tweet. Smarter world leaders (and they're pretty much ALL smarter) have figured out to play that fool. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

Well done Mr. President - his role as Statesmen playing the long game with China will benefit both country’s.

Meanwhile back in the states CNN will soon be reporting Putin has ties to the Russians lol.

More like playing along game

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Not bad.  But 180 degrees opposite of what he ran on.  What a turncoat.  His supporters must be pissed. Or at least scratching their heads trying to figure out what's going on.

Trump's fans have already proven that they'll support Trump no matter what he does.  Even if he changes policies in mid-sentence, they don't mind.  Even if he says McCain is not a war hero or if it's fine to grab pussies, his fans won't waver.  They've been convinced (By Russkie and Rep dirty tricksters) that the alternative is a witchy woman who will bite their balls off and take away their guns, ammo and Bibles.

Xi and the Chinese are smarter than Trump (so is Putin and his henchmen).  They know that, with Trump, all they have to do is grin and nod their heads in agreement to every silly thing he says, and that will please him.  As soon as Trump is gone, the Chinese will do what they want, including taking over properties in the Himalayas and S.China Sea.

Trump was asked during the campaign, 'Why can you never say anything non-praising about Putin?'  Trump responded: "Putin says nice things about me, so I'm gonna say nice things about him."  That's Trump's little boy attitude toward int'l affairs -  in a nutshell.

Xi knows that, and that's why the Chinese put out all the red carpets.  If Trump is feted and complimented, then he's like a bear on tranquilizers - and will just snooze.

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I think they were scratching their heads long before he ever had the prospect of going into office.

On a serious note, agree with what you said 100%. However he's clearly been scripted appropriately for once.

21 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Let's see, he campaigned on "America First" in foreign trade and  1 of the main topics in his speeches was ........... say it with me ........ "America First" in foreign trade.

What's got me scratching my head are all these attacks for doing something well. Hate truly doth rot the soul. :saai:

1 hour ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Let's see, he campaigned on "America First" in foreign trade and  1 of the main topics in his speeches was ........... say it with me ........ "America First" in foreign trade.

What's got me scratching my head are all these attacks for doing something well. Hate truly doth rot the soul. :saai:

Be specific.  He attacked China as a currency manipulator.  Specifically, he said:

"Instruct the Treasury Secretary to label China a currency manipulator."

What has he done about this?  Answer: nothing.   So much for "America First".  And you're still believing his BS.

19 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Be specific.  He attacked China as a currency manipulator.  Specifically, he said:

"Instruct the Treasury Secretary to label China a currency manipulator."

What has he done about this?  Answer: nothing.   So much for "America First".  And you're still believing his BS.

Geez what a nitpicker. There's just no debating with someone who will crawl around on hands and knees with a microscope looking for the 1 loose thread in a banquet halls new carpeting. Which news agency do you work for? :coffee1:

30 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Geez what a nitpicker. There's just no debating with someone who will crawl around on hands and knees with a microscope looking for the 1 loose thread in a banquet halls new carpeting. Which news agency do you work for? :coffee1:

Because the rest of his pre-election comments about China were so favorable?

37 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

A nitpicker?  Just trying to layout the truth.  What amazes me is some don't want to hear the truth.  You seem to be one of them.

And yes, I'm a news junkie.  Ever since Trump became elected.  Ya just can't make this stuff up! :cheesy:

A post with an altered quote has been removed:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

No wonder they're praising.

"China Could Sell Trump the Brooklyn Bridge

Xi has been brilliant at playing Trump, plying him with flattery and short-term trade concessions and deflecting him from the real structural trade imbalances with China. All along, Xi keeps his eye on the long-term prize of making China great again. Trump, meanwhile, touts every minor victory as historic and proceeds down any road that will give him a quick sugar high."

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/14/opinion/china-trump-xi-jinping-trade.html

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app