Police officer killed in Sukhumvit wreck

Rimmer

Police officer killed in Sukhumvit wreck

image.png

SATTAHIP:--A high-ranking Royal Thai Police officer died when he rear-ended an 18-wheeler on Sukhumvit Road near Sattahip.

Pol. Col. Prinya Dechad­hammarit, 36, was pronounced dead of a skull fracture at the scene of the Nov. 2 wreck near the Rua Mai restaurant entering Sattahip District.

Prinya had been deputy superintendent of Investigation Subdivision 3 in Investigation Division 2.

Witness Suntorn Eimkai said Prinya passed him on the poorly lit hill entering Sattahip and immediately slammed into the back of the big rig. The driver’s side of the black Hyundai was demolished and parts of the car scattered across the road.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-11-10

11 minutes ago, mikebell said:

A police officer driving too fast on a poorly lit road!

back home i live in the countryside - there are no street lights(!) i dont ram into every stationary object in my path (stray animals, farm machinery, parked vehicles), i safely manoeuvre round them. surely he had his headlights on? if not he should have, and he should have been driving within the legal limit and appropriately to the road, weather, light conditions.

Did the police report say this was a suicide as they often do without conducting a thorough examination of the death?  Remember, they have made that pronouncement a multitude of times over the year when circumstances have been beyond their ability, or in their haste to sweep things under the table. 

Speculation (supporting the defendant).

Sukhumvit is a four lane divided highway.

He had overtaken another vehicle and then slammed into the truck.

It was on a hill, on the rise?

Sounds like the truck was creeping uphill on the right lane?

Badly light too (if at all)?

I know these back lights just too god (not slammed into).

Bicycles in other countries have better ones.

Why did the truck overtake?

Did Mr. Suntorn creep like a turtle?

I hardly ever overtake on our two lane highway in the night.

Now I learn that even on the four lane highway it's a risky game.

14 hours ago, samsensam said:

back home i live in the countryside - there are no street lights(!) i dont ram into every stationary object in my path (stray animals, farm machinery, parked vehicles), i safely manoeuvre round them. surely he had his headlights on? if not he should have, and he should have been driving within the legal limit and appropriately to the road, weather, light conditions.

Me old timer here grew up in a rural area, where at best we had a few incandescent light bulbs at some of the street corners.  dodged a fair amount of deer and other critters in my days.  Never hit a parked car, truck or tractor.  My headlights even on my restored antique 1930 Model A Ford worked well enough.  Of course if one is speeding as this cop seems to have been, based on the damage to his vehicle, well, so be it

17 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Not only can they not do their job properly, they cannot drive by the looks of things, so that explains the road carnage here does it not

No, it doesn't, police officers' driving abilities are not to blame for the carnage on Thailand's roads.

7 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Did the police report say this was a suicide as they often do without conducting a thorough examination of the death?  Remember, they have made that pronouncement a multitude of times over the year when circumstances have been beyond their ability, or in their haste to sweep things under the table. 

That is not what they do, the press obviously asks about a cause of death for their report and the police will usually give an informed opinion.  I doubt that there has been one unexplained death about which the police have stated specifically what caused it.

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

looks like the driver side window is very busted.  They may have busted it to try and administer first aid, but I bet it was more likely he was not seat/shoulder belted in and he went head first into that window

If the windscreen looked like this then I would agree with you...

seatbelt2.jpg.676e175e702ff452c2ce10f8b5918a30.jpg

But looking at that wreak, if he was or not would have made no difference.