Motorbike Accident

SiamSully

Think its a case of "I'm in the wrong, but broke"

Try to come up with a payment plan and keep hassling. If the guy had been locked up over this, the money would be there within the hour. They probably could get the cash, if they had no choice, which they do at the moment.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, BuaBS said:

In case of accident , always contact your insurance .

Indeed, the OP made the mistake to talk with  the counterparty. You simply don't do this in Thailand. You just call your insurance company, they send somebody, and he take care of everything. All very simply. Than you let fix  your motorbike,  the insurance company pay the invoice

On 11/10/2017 at 3:35 PM, SiamSully said:

Ya, for sure, Tifino. My wife spotted the security camera and we went back a few days later and retrieved the footage. Apparently the guilty party knows about it and I heard they have even seen it. But still, we get the defiant stonewall from them. 

And the fact that you're being stonewalled is a testament regarding the Thai judicial system or lack of.  

Count your blessings that the idiot was riding a bike and not driving a pick-up. You won’t get money from him. I feel your frustrations but life ain’t fair sometimes, especially for a farang in this country. Try to let it go. Safe travels from here on mate, hopefully in something offering more protection than a bike.

I ain't viewing your mp4 the download takes too long

Riding though a village sounds like you should be more aware of such issues. You broke the lads leg I think you have impacted his livelihood a great deal and you can afford to take the high Rd. 

On 11/11/2017 at 10:47 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 11/11/2017 at 10:19 AM, tandor said:
...what!...the rider turned out of a soi into the path of oncoming traffic without giving way or looking..he didnt drive down the inside of the wrong side of the road at all..he cut the corner of the soi...why should the OP accept that..after all the family is only trying to bluff their way out of their obvious guilt...when will they ever learn the lesson that we all pay the price for being reckless and negligent?

You've jumped to conclusions, keep calm, the bm I quoted was referring to Thais who ride down the opposite lane in the wrong direction

...well keep to the topic then people wont get side-tracked will they.

UPDATE: My wife and I had a meeting with the police on Friday where the officer called the young man’s mother who seems to be doing all the talking for their side. He tried to explain to her how she must pay, as she agreed to in the first place, this modest bill for the accident. They agreed to meet with us at the police station on Monday. They did not show - nor did they answer their phone when the police called them. So, we accompanied the police to the scene of the accident where he took photos. I never though I would be the one to be pointing a finger at the place where the motorbike lay on the street but there I was. So hilarious! The beat goes on. Thank you all for your time, interest and comments so far.

UPDATE: My wife and I had a meeting with the police on Friday where the officer called the young man’s mother who seems to be doing all the talking for their side. He tried to explain to her how she must pay, as she agreed to in the first place, this modest bill for the accident. They agreed to meet with us at the police station on Monday. They did not show - nor did they answer their phone when the police called them. So, we accompanied the police to the scene of the accident where he took photos. I never though I would be the one to be pointing a finger at the place where the motorbike lay on the street but there I was. So hilarious! The beat goes on. Thank you all for your time, interest and comments so far.
I don't think you ever updated us what level insurance you had?

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, SiamSully said:

I don't think you ever updated us what level insurance you had?

It's 2 standard motorbikes/scooters, which in 99.99% means only porobor, if that.

10 hours ago, stevenl said:

It's 2 standard motorbikes/scooters, which in 99.99% means only porobor, if that.

Well, mine eyes have been opened by this accident and by this forum and the responses herein. My Thai wife and I have 2 motorbikes - a 2013 Honda PCX150 and a 2005 Honda Phantom 200. We also have a 2002 Toyota Tiger pickup. All registered in my wife’s name - all with basic compulsory insurance. This accident involved the 2013 Honda PCX150. I am now taking a more personal interest in this insurance thing as I have been awakened through this matter. As I understand Insurance in Thailand so far, we can upgrade insurance on all of our vehicles but get 1st class Insurance on only the PCX150 as the other vehicles are too old. We were lucky this time as this accident was not too serious however, I’m not willing to push my luck further. Lessons learned - points taken - advice requested - thanks given. 

Edited by SiamSully

Well, mine eyes have been opened by this accident and by this forum and the responses herein. My Thai wife and I have 2 motorbikes - a 2013 Honda PCX150 and a 2005 Honda Phantom 200. We also have a 2002 Toyota Tiger pickup. All registered in my wife’s name - all with basic compulsory insurance. This accident involved the 2013 Honda PCX150. I am now taking a more personal interest in this insurance thing as I have been awakened through this matter. As I understand Insurance in Thailand so far, we can upgrade insurance on all of our vehicles but get 1st class Insurance on only the PCX150 as the other vehicles are too old. We were lucky this time as this accident was not too serious however, I’m not willing to push my luck further. Lessons learned - points taken - advice requested - thanks given. 
For me the most important thing about the 1st class insurance is it covers the 3rd party vehicle, a medical bill increased limit and bail bond if they throw you in jail. Consider it even for the bikes.
If you kill someone on your bike you're in deep shit, at least you have some protection with 1st class

On 11/12/2017 at 7:04 AM, henry15 said:

Indeed, the OP made the mistake to talk with  the counterparty. You simply don't do this in Thailand. You just call your insurance company, they send somebody, and he take care of everything. All very simply. Than you let fix  your motorbike,  the insurance company pay the invoice

No, always call your "poo yai", preferably a policeman. First thing I learnt in Thailand decades ago -  find a "poo yai".

One of the first things I learnt, when I first arrived to Thailand, was that you have to forget about your normal understanding of “right” and “wrong”. 

In fact, perusing the truth or “fair”  thing, can even bring you more problems, if you are unlucky.

I learnt my lesson, not by an accident but by making a successful company here. All I got from that and doing everything right, was being harassed and attempted blackmailed by corrupt government officials. At that point I understood, that it has nothing to do with right or wrong here. It is all about money. I then moved my business out of Thailand. There is no social responsibility or fairness here. But the weather is nice :-)

In a racist corrupt place like this, with no proper justice system, it’s best to walk away in a case like yours. And then just be grateful, that you can prove you were not wrong if ever needed.

Regaridng the kid, he will never learn anyway. You can’t fix stupid. Don’t expect his parents to be any smarter than him.

And then get a proper insurance instead and let them handle it next time.

Edited by khunpa

• 4 weeks later...

Update: This matter has been settled. Initially, they signed a statement at the police station saying they were at fault and would pay all expenses related to the accident. When we presented the bill for 15,000 baht they suddenly had no money. We offered for them to pay 9,000. They countered with 2,000. Eight months later now and we accepted 5,000 baht and strongly suggested that the young Thai man take driving lessons (which we feel will never happen). We sincerely hope he learned something about driving more carefully after all this kerfuffel and not just about waiting the farang out

Thanks Thai Visa peeps - it’s been a pleasure sharing this experience with y’all. See ... sometimes the farang doesn’t pay for all the accident expenses - just two thirds of em. 

Love, peace and happiness.

On 11/17/2017 at 7:50 AM, khunpa said:

One of the first things I learnt, when I first arrived to Thailand, was that you have to forget about your normal understanding of “right” and “wrong”. 

In fact, perusing the truth or “fair”  thing, can even bring you more problems, if you are unlucky.

I learnt my lesson, not by an accident but by making a successful company here. All I got from that and doing everything right, was being harassed and attempted blackmailed by corrupt government officials. At that point I understood, that it has nothing to do with right or wrong here. It is all about money. I then moved my business out of Thailand. There is no social responsibility or fairness here. But the weather is nice :-)

In a racist corrupt place like this, with no proper justice system, it’s best to walk away in a case like yours. And then just be grateful, that you can prove you were not wrong if ever needed.

Regaridng the kid, he will never learn anyway. You can’t fix stupid. Don’t expect his parents to be any smarter than him.

And then get a proper insurance instead and let them handle it next time.

A sad post but truthfull. I am worried sometimes that my "luck" will run out 1 day. Life here can change in the spell of a minute. Seen it happening with a mate of mine. Warned him regularly that his missus is far from sincere and honest to him. It has just sunken in too late for him. The missus and her family destroyed him, and keep on doing it on a daily basis. He is an emotional wreck now while he cannot believe that evil thrives in his predicament. He walked all avenues but not a single sign of reciprocity from any thai government organization. Honesty, sincerity and the truth doesnt do it here. Told him that all lost causes are worth fighting for.

4 hours ago, SiamSully said:

Update: This matter has been settled. Initially, they signed a statement at the police station saying they were at fault and would pay all expenses related to the accident. When we presented the bill for 15,000 baht they suddenly had no money. We offered for them to pay 9,000. They countered with 2,000. Eight months later now and we accepted 5,000 baht and strongly suggested that the young Thai man take driving lessons (which we feel will never happen). We sincerely hope he learned something about driving more carefully after all this kerfuffel and not just about waiting the farang out

Thanks Thai Visa peeps - it’s been a pleasure sharing this experience with y’all. See ... sometimes the farang doesn’t pay for all the accident expenses - just two thirds of em. 

Love, peace and happiness.

Pyrrhus victory.

Did the cops not impound the bike until you were repaid for your expenses?

Up here (Chiang Mai) They will confiscate the bike, and depending upon which Amphur that catches the offender, they may give back the bike when all is settled, however one Amphur near me will gladly take the bike put as many walls up as possible to prevent returning the bike to the owner, then sell the bike and you can do nothing as it seems the head cop is in on it!

Edited by Formaleins

Just now, Been there done that said:

A sad post but truthfull. I am worried sometimes that my "luck" will run out 1 day. Life here can change in the spell of a minute. Seen it happening with a mate of mine. Warned him regularly that his missus is far from sincere and honest to him. It has just sunken in too late for him. The missus and her family destroyed him, and keep on doing it on a daily basis. He is an emotional wreck now while he cannot believe that evil thrives in his predicament. He walked all avenues but not a single sign of reciprocity from any thai government organization. Honesty, sincerity and the truth doesnt do it here. Told him that all lost causes are worth fighting for.

Interesting comments. First hint of some real life events from you. Even if you say "your mate". No government organsations listened. Heard that before somewhere...

As you were sir. Just an observer. Bonus points for sharing.