Motorbike Accident

SiamSully

...what!...the rider turned out of a soi into the path of oncoming traffic without giving way or looking..he didnt drive down the inside of the wrong side of the road at all..he cut the corner of the soi...why should the OP accept that..after all the family is only trying to bluff their way out of their obvious guilt...when will they ever learn the lesson that we all pay the price for being reckless and negligent?
You've jumped to conclusions, keep calm, the bm I quoted was referring to Thais who ride down the opposite lane in the wrong direction

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Coconut Kidd said:

Offer the police 5000 to stick the kid in jail until the 9000 is paid. 4000 is better then nothing, and the kid hopefully learns a lesson.

Yes but the amount is 15k. The declined to pay the 9k. Toss the police 4 to keep him in

jail until you get the 15K. If you have to kick the police another 2k no worries. You get

9k.

While it's common, it's still clearly against the law. Yes, everyone should get used to it in terms of being more careful and ready for danger situations when riding here, but it doesn't mean farangs should accept liability when locals are breaking the traffic laws and causing an accident. 
True, there was a bm who posted the other day about killing a man driving the wrong way down the road, I just hope it wasn't this scenario of driving down the side. Should always be aware Thais do it frequently

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

That time of the evening, I never drive.

Agree. I only drive a car at night once a week. I don't get on my scooter, too risky.

At least in daylight they haven't had as much time to load up on lao khao and yaa baa.

Perhaps I'm a little naïve, but wouldn't your insurance pay out and have the hassle of persuing the culprit
for compensation, or are you saying the insurance companies here show the same attitude to foreigners that
you are suggesting the general public share.

He probably had the legal minimum insurance which just doesn't cover your vehicle or theirs. A false economy maybe

Sorry to hear of your problem when it was clearly not your fault and you have been most understanding to reach a settlement .  You are due some compensation from the compulsory third party insurance . However I would insist the police charge the other driver so he appears in court .The court will allow damages on your behalf.

Not to be a smart ass but to avoid similar problems I took out first class insurance although it does not cover my bike for theft it cost 2800 Baht .Worth it to avoid trouble with Thais coming from nowhere to declare it was your fault and the corrupt police on the make all against you after any accident regardless whose fault it was.

I would make a claim on the at fault parties 3rd party insurance coverage and let it go at that. Trying to sue is a lost cause due to the cost involved and forcing the police to do their job brings many potential problems.  Thais can't accept losing face- they can be vindictive and cause untold future grief. You cannot teach people responsibility- they don't see it that way and will not accept it.

You did ask for considered comment so here goes. OP 2 things come to mind straight away. Firstly, it looks as if you were not paying attention. His lights were clearly visable on the main road as you approached. You should have anticipated that he may turn out into your path. Secondly I have to ask you how long have you been living here? Although they admitted that the Thai was in the wrong, did you really believe that a poor Thai family would pay you 15,000 baht. Your living in cloud cukoo land. Normal rules of life do not exist over here I would have thought you would have known that. Put it down to experience and move on. Next time be a bit more observant when you are driving.

22 hours ago, SiamSully said:

Ya, for sure, Tifino. My wife spotted the security camera and we went back a few days later and retrieved the footage. Apparently the guilty party knows about it and I heard they have even seen it. But still, we get the defiant stonewall from them. 

If they don't want to pay, take the motorbike or any other valuables. 

Just suck it up and let it go. If they really have no money you cannot get blood out of a stone, and would you really want to take the money off them if they are that hard up. Seems like the young lad acted ok originally and no point creating bad feelings. Just forget it and chalk it up as a good deed on your and your wifes behalf. 

6 hours ago, thrilled said:

Your A faring.You have money.They are Thai.They don’t have money.Open up your wallet.One of the non benefits of living in Thailand.

i agree   is it worth all the hassle for a 350 euro

i know that some farangs     Always want what is right  and dig   there heels in     

but what is right here and what is wrong you will never win  .

be a good semaritan buy them lunch and talk about it and maybe u have new friends for life 

if u have big property ask them come and help u a few days cleaning or cutting or what ever  .

23 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Lucky for you ...CCTV else....

Be nice buy all lunch and just shake hands and thanks sorry for the hassle we both know mr thai is wrong but where does it go 

ask them to help u on your house or where u live a few days maybe drainage ditch or moving something that farangs dont like to do am sure that they will do if they very local people

U got away Lucky   moterbike here is Always dangerous we have sold ours  and i even live very rural  

6 hours ago, robblok said:

You can go to courts.. will take you a long time and cost a lot of time and money upfront.. to see if you can get all of that money back is important. Because it might well be that even after a court judgement they won't pay up. I seen this happen Thai on Thai. So even a court judgement won't do much if they plead poverty.

Ya, I concur. 

Find an  expat  who lives or lived in your neighborhood that has some Thai friends.  I have heard many stories from long time expats of expats getting justice in courts concerning divorce, accidents etc.  I have a Thai lawyers name in KhonKaen that is trusted.   Asking this TV group will simply provide you a constant stream of expat loses Thai always wins which is BS.  If that was the truth no expat would live here.  TV is great for immigration questions  for newbies, car sales information and some types of other information and entertainment.   Forget all the other whining and complaining and despair that is posted daily by so called Thai experts.   Good luck to you. 

Edited by Wake Up

2 hours ago, jimn said:

You did ask for considered comment so here goes. OP 2 things come to mind straight away. Firstly, it looks as if you were not paying attention. His lights were clearly visable on the main road as you approached. You should have anticipated that he may turn out into your path. Secondly I have to ask you how long have you been living here? Although they admitted that the Thai was in the wrong, did you really believe that a poor Thai family would pay you 15,000 baht. Your living in cloud cukoo land. Normal rules of life do not exist over here I would have thought you would have known that. Put it down to experience and move on. Next time be a bit more observant when you are driving.

I appreciate your candid comment, jimn, however you weren’t there I was and although I feel no need to defend my driving record, awareness and skills I can tell you that I am cautious to the extreme driving here in Thailand. I have been here 8 years. My intention here is not to punish anyone but to afford this young man, who was clearly in the wrong, the opportunity to do the right thing. 

You have 30.000 Bath on Insurance on the bike you ride if you pay the Insurance and road tax. The same have the boy on his bike if he have pays the road tax and insurance.

And maybe you have some Insurance from your Thai Bank "Accident Insurance" cost about 3500 Bath in Kasikorn Bank fore 1 year.

Edited by nasa123

7 hours ago, SiamSully said:

Ya Jack45k, it does look like that coming into frame but we were traveling only at about 40km through the village. The Thai kid didn’t have a drivers license. His motorbike had an insurance sticker though.
Granted it’s a different perception of reality here in Thailand but to think that poorer people can run roughshod and not be held responsible is clearly just not right. We’ll just let this thing run its course and see if the police will do their job. #Longshot
I’m thinking you may have more money than me - your buying the beer.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

if you are broke in almost any country you can make debts ( rental... private etc)  run up bills and not much will happen... look the reality in your own country... not what is written in the law... here in th locals can get away with almost anything... even murder if their uncle is a cop.. its good you wear helmets otherwise u would not be able to post here anymore... my advise take th e. 9000 offered and ask them to do some work for you... maybe in the end of the day yo even become friends who knows

I'm sorry to hear about your accident.  From the video, it looked like you were in a lot of pain.  I hope your recovery is going well.

It is a bit enraging to see that he didn't even slow down for the intersection; you can tell by looking at the way his headlight moves that he just drove right in without stopping.  I've almost been hit by motorbikes deciding to play Russian Roulette at an intersection; they just barrel right in at full speed and there is maybe a 90% chance that they won't hit someone which must seem like pretty good odds to them.

I wouldn't go too easy on them if I were you.  They had enough money to buy the motorbike but no money when they've used it to cause injury to others.  The guy will just have to save up a bit longer to pay for his wife's sin sot.