On-line Rice prices

zxc

It's a difficult question to answer especially if your out of the country.

If in country it's not hard to spot the delivery places usually with a big shed or silo's and large concrete area's for drying.

Thing is the price will work on a matrix for moisture,quality etc.But there are normally big boards displaying  basic prices out the front.

9 hours ago, zxc said:

Cooked, I can never get a straight answer from a farmer! :)

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Are you outside the country? Is that why you need to know?

In general, rice prices go up in the few weeks before harvest, around harvest time prices plummet from 14 to 10 Baht. After Christmas the price sort of climbs back for a bit until they stop posting the prices. Around here anyway. Elsewhere things will be different, we only get one crop a year,, and that price is understood for Hom mali rice. I would willingly let you know the price we get locally but even the price on the board can't be relied on, as Farmer Joe mentions.

We expect to get around 12 Baht when we sell in January but the bad harvest may send prices up a little.

So you're not getting a straight answer from me either!

ask the farmers that are near to your land what they get per rai, then take the land prep and the labor off the amount produced ......

from what i understand us at the mo, the sister inlaw in almost finished her harvest, she farms 4 or 5 different plots of no more than 10-15 rai each. the bad per rai is approx 8-10 bags per rai the good 15-18 bag per rai. bag approx 25-28kg. bags seem heavier this year.. a mix of sticky rice and hom mali, no seed bought as old stock always used from year before. 

i think the price around the local village buyers is 6 ish baht per kg, in town will be more.

we have not grown rice for years, just rent some plots to family or friends that want it. for me its far less hassle to buy rice from the super markets in 5kg bags approx 27 baht per kg, this way im sure there will be no grit or small stones mixed in with the rice. 

side note. alot of people are using the rice havesters this year...

sister in law has been paying 250/300 baht per day plus food. which to me seems cheap for labor.  she has her own tractor.

what sort of yields are you other rice farmers getting?

Thoongfoned, excellent info!

We have 7 rai that produced 42 bags without. Chemical fertilizer, 6 per rai is poor. Soil is very poor and the weather is blamed for most things - as it is every year.

We have to pay for all labour as there are no family members to help out - 400 baht/day without food. We also need to hire tractor.

Total cost is around 13baht/kg.

I think you are wise and I will not be financing a rice crop next year.

14 hours ago, zxc said:

Excellent Cooked! Many thanks for taking the time. I am resident in Thailand and trying to work out if it's really worth the hassle of trying to grow rice on our stone and dust Sakon soil.........

This fruit will grow on your soil...and it's very popular in south america. You have to grow it from cuttings by the way which is hard to get i assume. Or you can grow icecreambeans (i have them), or another fruit....there is so much if you study a bit.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Jocote+de+Corona&oq=joco&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l2j69i57j69i59j0j69i60.2223j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by Thian

9 hours ago, Thian said:

This fruit will grow on your soil...and it's very popular in south america. You have to grow it from cuttings by the way which is hard to get i assume. Or you can grow icecreambeans (i have them), or another fruit....there is so much if you study a bit.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Jocote+de+Corona&oq=joco&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l2j69i57j69i59j0j69i60.2223j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Who would buy it?