Why do farang feed soi dogs?

sharktooth

Never understood this. Basically they are vermin, rather like a large rat but that will chase and bite you. A bloke in our building who seems ok (to say hello to anyway) does this with the vermin near us. Is it just to hope they won’t bite them when they are passing on their push bike? It’s beyond me...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many more Thais do it than farang. Ask them both they tell you simple answer.  The dogs need to eat.  And they feel good.  They enjoy it. And they are not angry like you OP

Which comes first? 

The action of kindness or the experience of kindness? 

20 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

Many more Thais do it than farang. Ask them both they tell you simple answer.  The dogs need to eat.  And they feel good.  They enjoy it. And they are not angry like you OP

Which comes first? 

The action of kindness or the experience of kindness? 

Yeah, sure.

:sick:

It's not about a cheap way of getting "merit", that avoids contact with other humans.

Edited by Enoon

1 hour ago, sharktooth said:

Would that include scattering sugar on their floor to keep the ants happy?

We may laugh, but I know a Thai who got all warm and fuzzy because some ants were making off with her toenail clippings.

It is because most westerners have or have had dogs as pets and life long campaigns.  My wife and I may have our differences, but we love the dog and  the kids.   Seeing other dogs not enjoying a life that your dog enjoys, hurts, and they are in their predicament through no fault of their own.  Many Thais are good hearted and look after strays.  What needs to happen is they all need to be spay or neutered.  Soidog down in Phucket showed progress in this.  Our dog was a neighborhood stray.  We found him with a broken fore leg got that fixed and chopped his manhood at the same time, knowing he would get out once in a while.  That was 20 years ago and he is still going strong.  Most vets mistakenly think he is 12 or 13 years old and not 21.  His breed, worthless then, is now worth B100K, and we know why after 21 years.  Always am astonished by toss away.

I feel sorry for starving and mistreated animals.  While a GI here 47 years ago they was this mangy German Shepard and I fed it and it grew a beautiful coat of hair.  Spent  years here than and was so sorry to have to leave it to starve and then die.  47 years later and I will still feed a soi dog.  They did nothing wrong to wind up like they are. 

19 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

A farang I have heard about feeds them choc coated raisins, not sure why, but he says they love them. :w00t:

if they are made with chocolate for human consumption they will be toxic to dogs (i thought everyone knew that)

i also see locals giving dogs chicken on the bone, another extremely foolish thing to do as brittle chicken bones can get stuck in the dog's throat. oh yes, and i've seen them feeding dogs cooked meat on thin sharp sticks, again an injury hazard for dogs. try to explain to locals but they just laugh and nod and ignore.

19 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

It is because most westerners have or have had dogs as pets and life long campaigns.  My wife and I may have our differences, but we love the dog and  the kids.   Seeing other dogs not enjoying a life that your dog enjoys, hurts, and they are in their predicament through no fault of their own.  Many Thais are good hearted and look after strays.  What needs to happen is they all need to be spay or neutered.  Soidog down in Phucket showed progress in this.  Our dog was a neighborhood stray.  We found him with a broken fore leg got that fixed and chopped his manhood at the same time, knowing he would get out once in a while.  That was 20 years ago and he is still going strong.  Most vets mistakenly think he is 12 or 13 years old and not 21.  His breed, worthless then, is now worth B100K, and we know why after 21 years.  Always am astonished by toss away.

Why this is so difficult for some to understand is sad.  Dogs are fantastic pets and great fun

It's called compassion.  If you yourself are devoid of compassion, then you at least need have to have empathy to understand why compassionate people do what they do.

Those without compassion or empathy end up posting questions like this on social media forums.  :biggrin:  <just funning ya>

I live alone at the end of a private soi with a one other house tucked in back. I have seen a brown timid dog near that home and assumed they were the owner. Out on the main soi there are a dozen or so soi dogs but this one is too timid to tangle with them and ventures onto the soi occasionally but jumps back into the wooded area to avoid almost everything. He leaves me and my dogs alone and I do the same. The problem is the old French lady who lives further down the main soi with 2 dogs of her own. She comes all the way to my private soi drives down and puts out plastic bags of food and tins of water out for the brown dog often with chicken bones. The plastic bags blow all over and make a mess and the tins are always full of mosquito larva. My wife told her to buzz off one day. She kept coming back and I finally told her if she wants the dog or to take care of the dog do it near her house.  She adamantly refused and couldn't understand what my "problem was". I told her I was tired of cleaning up after her and the dog and my dogs sniffing around rotting leftovers with bones etc. She refused. So I took my dogs down on the public main soi in front of her house for a walk and she went ballistic. "You cannot walk your dogs here blah blah blah". The hypocrisy was astounding. I'm moving in 2 weeks so not going to escalate it but to answer the OP. People, especially some animal lovers, don't give a crap about other people. If you want to take care of a soi dog take it home (like I did) if not, leave it alone. You are either prolonging the inevitable or disturbing your neighbors. 

7 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Because they are  hungry and they are domesticated animals - man's best friend. It is not their fault their dirt-bag owners deserted them. I have had some great pets that I rescued from the street. :sad:

There is one in soi where I live, you can come and get him ? please

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Anytime there is too many of anything, its perceived value is lowered.  That includes people sadly. 

yes its great fun when they are barking and fighten whole day and night,i like to understand something from looking tv , but sometimes its nearly impossible with these crazy dogs.