Corruption inquiry launched in Phuket after detained illegal immigrants spared deportation

webfact

Corruption inquiry launched in Phuket after detained illegal immigrants spared deportation

By THE NATION

471b5b760fade7abf89a87c274a8d0ce.jpeg

File photo

POLICE ON the resort island of Phuket have arrested 2,415 illegal immigrants during a one-year period, but failed to hand over the majority of them to immigration police for deportation.

The finding has led to deputy national police commissioner Pol General Srivara Rangsibharamanakul issuing an urgent order for police to apprehend illegal immigrants who are still at large.

567b2b8be19c271173ca04b9136bb887.jpg

Srivara also ordered police to update him every week over the issue and outstanding arrests.

He said he had learned about alleged corruption by Phuket police during a meeting with Pol Maj-General Nuntadej Yoinuan, a deputy provincial commissioner, who reported that 2,415 illegal immigrants had been arrested in raids from October last year to last month.

However, only 685 of these had been handed over to immigration for deportation. 

The report detailed arrests and transfers to immigration police by provincial police at 11 district stations during the one-year period. At one station, in Patong, 862 people were detained and almost all – 810 – were not sent to immigration police.

Phuket police command earlier revealed that a number of illegal immigrants arrested from October 1, 2016 to October 31, 2017 had not been turned over to immigration police. 

Srivara has ordered an investigative panel look into the matter to determine if Phuket police had been involved in the disappearance of the illegal immigrants. He pledged yesterday that any officer found involved in corruption would face investigation and punishment.

Meanwhile, deputy immigration police commissioner Pol Maj-General Itthipon Itthisarnronnachai said police would exert their “best efforts” to crack down on transnational crimes after finding that almost 100,000 foreigners had overstayed their visas.

The crackdown has been implemented in a campaign under the theme of “Good people can stay, bad ones will face difficulties”.

The campaign was ordered by Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, who announced a plan to deport people who were living in Thailand illegally or foreigners engaged in illegal activities.

Police also asked for coordination with the Consular Affairs Department of the Foreign Ministry to help investigate people from specific countries associated with illegal activities in Thailand.

Foreigners who had overstayed their visas were usually found at tourist attraction spots, Itthipon said, adding that the public could help by alerting police about foreigners’ unusual behaviour.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30331532

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-14

It's a nice little earner that's been going on for at least a decade.  Once a month a friendly collection agent comes round and picks up an envelope with 1-3K in in it depending on a few variables.  In return, shop owners get to hire English speaking low paid workers and this well oiled machine continues to run.

There was an interesting article on this in a well known Bangkok newspaper that claimed the local "police" were collecting up to 100 Million Baht a month from illegals. I guess they weren't sharing the big envelopes with the immigration police?

3 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

So what is it now, "face difficulties" or "out"?

It should quite clearly be the latter but these numbers suggest otherwise, as we've long suspected. 

The most shocking thing about this article is that it really neither shocks nor surprises.

Nah! Not think so much about that. "face difficulties" is just a better word. It still gives everybody the chance to work and do exactly like they believe it should be done.
I am sure you know the great expression "Up the the officer dealing with the situation" :cheesy:

3 hours ago, tracker1 said:

One would guess there are some very wealthy officials in Phuket !

Reminds of a certain immigration officer who handled my visa extension 2-3 years ago. He was wearing a nice Rolex Submarine worth more than his annual income. 

Sometime after there was some sort of crackdown and a new chief. Last time i was there for my extension he was still there, only now wearing a Casio. 

Nothing changed; they only starting hiding it better.

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

Reminds of a certain immigration officer who handled my visa extension 2-3 years ago. He was wearing a nice Rolex Submarine worth more than his annual income. 

Sometime after there was some sort of crackdown and a new chief. Last time i was there for my extension he was still there, only now wearing a Casio. 

Nothing changed; they only starting hiding it better.

That Rolex Submarine could have been one made in China. 

About the Casio, I'm not sure if it was an original as they also have Casio copies in Thailand.

Brainless individuals??

Why.............because just about everyone who lives here know that the BIB are corrupt, from the shop owners to the beer bar owners who fill the monthly envelopes, to those who have had monetary demands made of them at immigration or who know folk who have, and the cases of others who build on Government land and are allowed to get away with it.

So for those up the chain to express surprise at this event means they think they are fooling the general public by their innocent response BUT they are fooling no-one, however they are stupid enough to think they are. Mindless morons.

14 hours ago, xylophone said:

Brainless individuals??

Why.............because just about everyone who lives here know that the BIB are corrupt, from the shop owners to the beer bar owners who fill the monthly envelopes, to those who have had monetary demands made of them at immigration or who know folk who have, and the cases of others who build on Government land and are allowed to get away with it.

So for those up the chain to express surprise at this event means they think they are fooling the general public by their innocent response BUT they are fooling no-one, however they are stupid enough to think they are. Mindless morons.

Bang on , I reckon.  It is all just a temporary show, basically, in order to remind the less powerful, less influential, lower ranks know where the pecking order begins and finishes.