Epsom Salts

Old Croc

aka  magnesium sulphate,  dee glyka farang    

Background:

I suffer from edema in legs and feet and use diuretics daily in an endeavor to control it.

I promised a friend that I would try soaking in Epsom salts  because he had read on the internet that a crippled racehorse was saved this way!  Yes, he's one of those people who believe everything they read!

I thought it couldn't do any harm, and have tried to source it in Phuket. Several years ago the GF bought some from Supercheap, but they no longer sell it. She's tried many other pharmacies and big stores without success. The internet is not much help - some old TVF threads are not very helpful, and a chemical place in Bangkok only has it in large sacks.

(I'm not interested in buying anything from rip off health food shops where they put a small amount in fancy packaging and ask big money) 

(I have heard of a Chinese herbalist somewhere in the city as a possibility. Anyone know of this place?)

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edited by Old Croc

I use it as a I have a bad achiles heel. I buy by the kilo in Cherng Talay.

As you go from Heroines' Monument, drive towards CT. Immediately after going UNDER the red welcome Chinese looking sign, there is a health food / organic place on the left. Owned by a foreigner. I buy it there.

The old herbalist shop is/was just 2 shops up from the corner of Thalang & Yaowarat Rd. It's a classic place with old wooden drawers containing all sorts of herbs. The father used to be very knowledgeable & hopefully he has passed it on to his family as I believe he has passed away. He was a very nice person.

12 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Thanks for the replies.

We'll try the herbalist in Phuket City first as it's somewhat closer. 

The other one seems a sure thing, but a bit harder to locate and get too.

even more so as it no longer exists, I believe that they are talking about Pura Organic. 

14 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Had a hell of a time inserting a google maps link. It only worked within a quote. Go figure..

Thanks mate.

I don't know how I missed that great big Chinese gate thing when I first looked on GE!

That place is an organic food outlet and, checking their website, they don't list epsom salts on their menu. Have you bought it there recently and how did the price compare to that other place listed here? I do note they deliver.

http://www.organicphuket.com/

Edited by Old Croc

19 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Yep, bought it there. Just go inside and ask. The falang manager is usually there in his office.

Prices are about the same there or mail order. I think it was about 700b per kg, if memory serves me right.

The link I posted shows 485/kg. They only do online but based in Phuket.

20 minutes ago, Valentine said:

The link I posted shows 485/kg. They only do online but based in Phuket.

Yes, thanks. Seems a better option all round. However, it does illustrate how these health food places inflate prices. Magnesium sulphate, in bulk from China, can be bought for something like $120 for a ton.

Edited by Old Croc

9 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Yes, thanks. Seems a better option all round. However, it does illustrate how these health food places inflate prices. Magnesium sulphate, in bulk from China, can be bought for something like $120 for 20 tons!

Yes I am sure still cheap even after shipping, customs, packaging, but they would be hard pressed to store & sell 20,000 packs. Anyway, I hope you get some relief soon. Be great if you could get off the diuretics.

33 minutes ago, Valentine said:

Yes I am sure still cheap even after shipping, customs, packaging, but they would be hard pressed to store & sell 20,000 packs. Anyway, I hope you get some relief soon. Be great if you could get off the diuretics.

I've edited that post, the price I quoted was actually for 1 ton. Minimum order 20 tons.

Fertilizer grade, not for ingestion, but good for bathing.

OK, I've bitten the bullet and ordered 2 kilos on line from GoodKarma. 

On 11/18/2017 at 9:09 AM, Old Croc said:

I've edited that post, the price I quoted was actually for 1 ton. Minimum order 20 tons.

Fertilizer grade, not for ingestion, but good for bathing.

OK, I've bitten the bullet and ordered 2 kilos on line from GoodKarma. 

They are a good outfit with a good range of quality products. I buy chia & body balance (helps keeps my knee getting worse plus general good feeling) from there amongst occasional other items.

Hope it works for you. I use it and don't have health issues, just use it as a preventative.

Glyphosate (in RoundUp) is in GMO foods. My fellow Americans have decided we don't even want the packages to state if the food is GMO or not.

Magnesium sulfate mitigates for glyphosate with its sulfate content. UVB from sun does too, from what I've read.

Can't hurt anyway, I figure.