Potential starlets' parents go to the authorities after woman promised them parts in series

webfact

Potential starlets' parents go to the authorities after woman promised them parts in series

1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A group of parents and relatives have gone to crime suppression authorities to complain about a woman running a bogus entertainment agency.

There are said to be 100 victims who have been ripped off for millions of baht.

The subject of their complaint is the owner of a Ram Intra agency named only as "A". She claimed to be a relative of Thai entertainment superstar Thongchai "Bird" McIntyre.

Lots of pictures taken with the singing and acting legend convinced the gullible to part with money for an acting course.

The hopeful new talent were promised parts in series after the course but when they had finished they just got bit parts as extras with no special pay.

The relatives were also enticed into parting with up to 50,000 for shares in productions.

The final straw came when they were promised a tour in Japan with "Phee Bird" - but when the time came he was busy and "A" wouldn't return any of the money.

One woman called Kotchaphan, 43, parted with over 200,000 baht in course fees, share expenses and the trip to Japan that never was.

Investigation are now underway to track down the woman called "A".

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-15

Why would you buy shares in a production? It was about their children getting an acting role. Just because you dance in a movie, does not mean that you have to be a part owner in the production company. More morons to feed the Devil, please!

17 minutes ago, GLewis said:

Got what they deserved. Always looking at the easy way. Thinking of how their little darlings could support mom and dad. 

When I first moved to Thailand I was teaching. Some of the parents of the young children could be quite over bearing. Asking things like, "can you please help him improve his English", "can you teach him to be a leader?", "can you make him listen and concentrate more in class?". "Can you take special care of little Som Chai?" They would look at me like I also thought their kid was the centre of the universe. Completely ignoring the fact there were 40+ kids in a class that didn't have air con and where they used a blackboard. 

Anyhoo, for a while I thought it was just many parents wanting the best for their kids. But then you realise with many parents it wasn't about the kid. It was about them. 

Edited by rkidlad

By no means a local scam.  By no means playing upon unique, allegedly, Thai failings:

Audition scam | Mumsnet Discussion

Beware of casting scams – Backstage Help Center

Common Showbiz Scams and How to Avoid Them - Acting in London:

"False Project Scams".

I see them advertised all the time back home.

Type "Audition Scam ....     " (with country of your choice) for your own "local" version.

It is true that the attitude towards regulation in Thailand (in all areas) encourages corruption, deceit and scamming.

It is not true that the victims in Thailand "deserve" it anymore than any other nationality.

Edited by Enoon

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

Why would you buy shares in a production? It was about their children getting an acting role. Just because you dance in a movie, does not mean that you have to be a part owner in the production company. More morons to feed the Devil, please!

Doesn't work like that. Don't take it literally. She probably dressed it up as a "contribution to the production costs which will help make your child higher on the picking list". Parents here are incredibly competitive for their children - in education, performing arts, sports, etc.

All the tuition, coaching, training, teaching, promoting establishments have all sorts of extra costs. Often those who "win" or are "selected" are the ones whose parents coughed up the cash - on courses, on the extras and made donations to the schemes. 

My daughter does some activities and we're very very careful. But seen plenty of dodgy ones out there. Some just cream off the top by overcharging everything e.g. insist travel, accommodation etc all must be booked through them; and then stick 20-30% on for themselves. Others, take the money with little intention or ability to provide anything, perhaps like this woman and then do a runner. 

There was a company telephoning from the US pretending to be connected to Disney recently. They implied they could get your child onto Disney TV, Mickey Mouse or whatever. Some research revealed they aren't connected to Disney in anyway and can't guarantee anything. 

Even the bonafide casting agents can not promise anything.

It is all about sticking out in a positive way, "knowing" the right people, having a good deal of "luck" and of course, shamefully, the willingness for "extras".

Edited by hansnl

9 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Acting course? In Thailand? 

why would you question that? My son has been taking acting classes for a couple of years and has scored speaking roles in Thai tv series as a result. We signed a 5 year contract with GMM Grammy a few months ago and it never would have happened if not for the owner of the acting schools contacts in the Thailand film industry.

1 hour ago, wolfmanjack said:

why would you question that? My son has been taking acting classes for a couple of years and has scored speaking roles in Thai tv series as a result. We signed a 5 year contract with GMM Grammy a few months ago and it never would have happened if not for the owner of the acting schools contacts in the Thailand film industry.

Congratulations to your son. I'm sure he would now be well-placed to understand the sarcasm in my post. Let's hope he doesn't get any roles that require him to play the dominant alpha male and threaten violence. Let's hope instead that he gets to play the handsome, dashing and scrupulously honest police officer who exposes corruption in the military.

Cheers.

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Doesn't work like that. Don't take it literally. She probably dressed it up as a "contribution to the production costs which will help make your child higher on the picking list". Parents here are incredibly competitive for their children - in education, performing arts, sports, etc.

All the tuition, coaching, training, teaching, promoting establishments have all sorts of extra costs. Often those who "win" or are "selected" are the ones whose parents coughed up the cash - on courses, on the extras and made donations to the schemes. 

My daughter does some activities and we're very very careful. But seen plenty of dodgy ones out there. Some just cream off the top by overcharging everything e.g. insist travel, accommodation etc all must be booked through them; and then stick 20-30% on for themselves. Others, take the money with little intention or ability to provide anything, perhaps like this woman and then do a runner. 

There was a company telephoning from the US pretending to be connected to Disney recently. They implied they could get your child onto Disney TV, Mickey Mouse or whatever. Some research revealed they aren't connected to Disney in anyway and can't guarantee anything. 

And all that came out of your own stupidity?

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Could have been worse....they could have ended up in a job having to sit on high stools, pretending to play pool, "entertaining" some shirtless sunburnt overweight gentlemen and god knows what else !?!!

Unlikely theres any cross over as skin color doeznt match and often what YOU say is worse is better paid, better conditions, more fun, more secure and less vunerble to sexual assult....and gawd knows what else...not that you or I know what happens behind closed doors in both induztries.

50 minutes ago, kaorop said:

Unlikely theres any cross over as skin color doeznt match and often what YOU say is worse is better paid, better conditions, more fun, more secure and less vunerble to sexual assult....and gawd knows what else...not that you or I know what happens behind closed doors in both induztries.

Definately....you also have a point there.

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Scamming seems far too easy here,due to greed and stupidity.

regards worgeordie

Not wrong there...but then if you believe in all the spooky stuff, special numbers, expensive amulets, etc etc its not much of a stretch to believe what some scammers say, those types are often likeable charming phycos.. Plenty of frangers out there also trying their hand on the regular supply of starry eyed n00bs hitting the shores.