Ending my job. Changing the visa

Im planning on giving 3 months notice to terminate my contract after my schools final exams are done so that I don't leave them with issues. 

Thus I'm on an ext of stay based on employment. We want to fly to Japan for a holiday as soon as I've finished. 

Do I first have to take a letter from my employer to immigration and cancel my work permit before I fly out of Thailand? 

If I have a registered marriage and a baby what visa should I be applying for in the consulate in Japan? 

I presume in the above situation that I dont need a 're-entry' permit. 

many thanks

You would need to have a termination letter to cancel you extension of stay at immigration. You could do it a few days before your termination date and they would postdate it to that date. You would cancel your work permit at the labor ministry.

You you are married to a Thai you could change the reason for your extension from teaching to one based upon marriage if you can meet the financial requirements. You could do that without needing to get a new visa.

You will not be able to apply for any visa in Japan unless you are Japanese or a legal resident of there.

If leave without an extension of stay you will not need a re-entry permit.

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

What your plans are on return to Thailand will be a factor in deciding what visa suits you best and where to get it.

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You would need to have a termination letter to cancel you extension of stay at immigration. You could do it a few days before your termination date and they would postdate it to that date. You would cancel your work permit at the labor ministry.

You you are married to a Thai you could change the reason for your extension from teaching to one based upon marriage if you can meet the financial requirements. You could do that without needing to get a new visa.

You will not be able to apply for any visa in Japan unless you are Japanese or a legal resident of there.

If leave without an extension of stay you will not need a re-entry permit.

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping you would do so. 

What are the financial requirements? I  would not be able to demonstrate monthly income but I could put a wad of cash in a passbook account. How much do I need to deposit? Does it have to be in 3 months prior or any rule like that? Can it be a standard bank book account for one of the major thai banks?

thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

What are the financial requirements? I  would not be able to demonstrate monthly income but I could put a wad of cash in a passbook account. How much do I need to deposit? Does it have to be in 3 months prior or any rule like that? Can it be a standard bank book account for one of the major thai banks?

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the date you apply for the extension based upon marriage. It can be a standard saving account at any Thai bank.

It seems you might not have enough time to put the money in the bank. You could also apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife on the day you cancel your extension and then apply for the one year extension near the end of it. For your trip to Japan you could get a re-entry permit to keep the 60 day extension valid when you return.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:12 PM, ubonjoe said:

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the date you apply for the extension based upon marriage. It can be a standard saving account at any Thai bank.

It seems you might not have enough time to put the money in the bank. You could also apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife on the day you cancel your extension and then apply for the one year extension near the end of it. For your trip to Japan you could get a re-entry permit to keep the 60 day extension valid when you return.

thanks so much for your reply. Sorry to bother u again. 

I will have the 400,000 in the acc for 2 months prior and revert over to the marriage extension at the end of march. If my current yearly ext of stay expires in early June does it mean that the new marriage ext will also expire in early June? 

What happens then? Do I have to pop over to Laos for a few days to get another year or how does it work exactly?

Finally, if we are planning a few holidays per year outside of thailand is this new extension of stay flexible in this regard? Do I simply get a re-entry permit each time?

many thanks

27 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

I will have the 400,000 in the acc for 2 months prior and revert over to the marriage extension at the end of march. If my current yearly ext of stay expires in early June does it mean that the new marriage ext will also expire in early June? 

What happens then? Do I have to pop over to Laos for a few days to get another year or how does it work exactly?

Finally, if we are planning a few holidays per year outside of thailand is this new extension of stay flexible in this regard? Do I simply get a re-entry permit each time?

You will have to cancel your current extension to change to the one based upon marriage that will be valid for one year from the date you do the change.

Like all one year extensions you can apply for new one every year at immigration.

You will need a re-entry permit if you want to travel. You can get multiple re-entry permit for a fee of 3800 baht that will be valid to the date your extension ends.,