Road safety measures to be rolled out ahead of New Year holidays

webfact

10 minutes ago, CGW said:

I'm sure the helmet will protect your head! this is where I have a problem with the "must wear helmet brigade" they proudly pronounce they always wear a helmet! while riding in flip flops, shorts and a T shirt! the helmet wont save your rest of your body! or is are they non fatal areas! Long!, long way to go before safety is even understood in this country & even further away is having a functioning Police force! :shock1:

90% of MB accidents I have seen on Thai roads a helmet would not have made a difference, a good helmet will protect against low speed impacts of less than 20kph to the head hitting something solid, anything above that speed and you are unlikely to survive, and I am not talking about vehicle speed - I am talking about the speed or velocity your head is moving on direct impact, when you fall off a bike doing say 100kmph your head will hit the ground from a falling height of about 5ft unless you are thrown into the air to a greater height in which case the impact with the ground will be more severe, the problem is not the ground as such it is the solid things around you that you may hit with your head or body at much higher velocity as you move forward, a fine example is something like motogp - we have riders crashing at 200-300kmph but they survive because there is nothing solid (except a motorbike) to hit on the track, when they come off their head will impact the ground based on how high the fall is not their forward velocity or speed

The point being that although helmets are a good idea they will not save you if your head hits something solid at an impact speed of more than 20kmph - a tree for example or another vehicle

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Put up tent beside junction: check.

Install stacking chairs and folding table: check

Arrange with TOT/3BB for special internet connection: check.

Put out fluorescent light triangles with red flashing lights. Ensure that batteries are fully charged, to ensure that the lights work for the first 24 hours: check.

High profile presence for first 12 (daylight) hours, after that the old chaps in the ill-fitting khaki fatigues can stag on.

Jobs a good un....

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Ministry of Transport and the MLIT will jointly conduct a study on road safety and use existing technology to reduce road fatalities in Thailand.

The ministry of transport and MLIT don't need to do a joint study on 'Road Safety'. A quick jaunt down any highway will expose the fundamental problem: total lack of law enforcement. Police in Thailand are reactive and will only become involved after an accident. They don't consider it their job to prevent problems. So whose job is it?

And what is this existing technology? You mean those broken cameras placed in ineffective areas? 

Get the RTP offd their collective backsides and out there enforcing things like speeding buses/vans, drunk driving and overloaded with passengers vehicles . Fines to be tripled and ALL fines to be paid to the Government . Plus impounding untax/insured vehicles and drivers with no licences banned. We might then JUST see improvement .  

59 minutes ago, midas said:

The first thing is Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith I would say the Japanese would consider the Thai driving test to be a joke compared to theirs

driving test and driving school can only go so far even in the west, it teaches the fundamentals of how to drive and the law and the do's and don'ts, the real learning is behind the wheel, most people breaking the law know they are doing it and that includes in the west, the difference in Thailand is that there is a lesser chance of getting caught and punished so law breaking is more widespread and the end result is the carnage on the roads, couple that with road safety and planning and you have the making of Thailands horrendous accident record, people just think they know better and there is nothing stopping them, even something as simple as road markings would make a difference, Thai's just don't want to conform to the rules and when there is no enforcement of the rules then you have the carnage we see every day

1 hour ago, smedly said:

driving test and driving school can only go so far even in the west, it teaches the fundamentals of how to drive and the law and the do's and don'ts, the real learning is behind the wheel, most people breaking the law know they are doing it and that includes in the west, the difference in Thailand is that there is a lesser chance of getting caught and punished so law breaking is more widespread and the end result is the carnage on the roads, couple that with road safety and planning and you have the making of Thailands horrendous accident record, people just think they know better and there is nothing stopping them, even something as simple as road markings would make a difference, Thai's just don't want to conform to the rules and when there is no enforcement of the rules then you have the carnage we see every day

Thais have a bad attitude on the roads- me me me.

Maybe driving schools and driving tests with an examiner who actually sits in the car with you and closely observed your attitude and behaviour still can't stop that but it can certainly go some way to improving it.

Blah Blah Blah here we go again Hey Thais motorists new plan coming to stop you from killing yourselves. Thai motorists answers back " Another plan Why should we take notice after not taking notice of the last 100 plans"  This is my plan  Get those lazy cops off there arse and enforce the law Sounds like a good plan to me Minister go back to your office and watch the Thais kill themselves Then we can have another plan :WPFflags:

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Just dont let the Japanese see how you Thais drive. There would lots of jokes all over Japan about it

The announced countermeasures are a joke. I doubt they would even work in Japan or any other civilised country, let alone Thailand.

You have to hit the people where it hurts. And this is money. And since the loss of a driver license doesn't prevent them from driving again, confiscate their vehicles.

But then there is the general problem with the absolute inability and inactivity of the Thai police.

Install speed cameras. You could make millions of Baht with that since absolutely no one cares about the speed limit. The newest generation is so good you can even see if someone wearing the safety belt.

50 minutes ago, midas said:

Thais have a bad attitude on the roads- me me me.

Maybe driving schools and driving tests with an examiner who actually sits in the car with you and closely observed your attitude and behaviour still can't stop that but it can certainly go some way to improving it.

like I said it has limited effect

you can tell people the rules - make them pass an exam - teach them the fundamentals of driving a vehicle and test them, but when it really comes down to it - unless the police actually enforce the rules/law an punish offenders - it all come to nothing.

Think of it this way (apart from road worthiness of vehicles) if you suddenly remove all the police and cameras from the UK, how long before the road death toll creeps up - I can guarantee not long before there is carnage on the roads

Also another way of looking at it, if you take 1000 Thai drivers and put them in the UK - how long before they start to realise that laws are actually enforced and people are punished, they will change their driving style because they know they cannot get away with it.

Like I have said many times before, generally Thai drivers know the rules and also know they are breaking them.....why ? because they can - there is little enforcement of road traffic laws because they are more interested in setting up a traffic stop and screwing people for donations.......easy money 

3 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

Get the RTP offd their collective backsides and out there enforcing things like speeding buses/vans, drunk driving and overloaded with passengers vehicles . Fines to be tripled and ALL fines to be paid to the Government . Plus impounding untax/insured vehicles and drivers with no licences banned. We might then JUST see improvement .  

The Old Bill get 42% of all the fines for themselves from legal checkpoints and 100% from illegal checkpoints and that is all they are interested in....forget the rest as there's no money in it !

8 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Don't the Minister think it should be rolled out NOW ! Not enough deaths and carnages to be convincing?

You shouldn't be too hard on the poor man. He is just one of Prayut's houseboys who does as he is told. This is nothing more than an ass covering exercise so that when road deaths over Christmas are off the scale he can claim to his boss.

I tried! I made more speed signs and painted the roads red. What more could I do Boss?

Minister then exits stage left never to be heard from again until Songkran when he repeats the same thing over again.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

you can tell people the rules - make them pass an exam - teach them the fundamentals of driving a vehicle and test them, but when it really comes down to it - unless the police actually enforce the rules/law an punish offenders - it all come to nothing.

Think of it this way (apart from road worthiness of vehicles) if you suddenly remove all the police and cameras from the UK, how long before the road death toll creeps up - I can guarantee not long before there is carnage on the roads

Also another way of looking at it, if you take 1000 Thai drivers and put them in the UK - how long before they start to realise that laws are actually enforced and people are punished, they will change their driving style because they know they cannot get away with it.

Like I have said many times before, generally Thai drivers know the rules and also know they are breaking them.....why ? because they can - there is little enforcement of road traffic laws because they are more interested in setting up a traffic stop and screwing people for donations.......easy money 

Think of it this way (apart from road worthiness of vehicles) if you suddenly remove all the police and cameras from the UK, how long before the road death toll creeps up - I can guarantee not long before there is carnage on the roads "

Can you  provide evidence to support your theory?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The Ministry of Transport and the MLIT will jointly conduct a study on road safety and use existing technology to reduce road fatalities in Thailand.

Oh, please. They don't have the first idea about the concept of road safety, nor about effective use of technology, existing and otherwise, to reduce fatalities. In fact, no idea about how to deal with the issue at all.

Japan, in common with western countries, starts at the beginning, with training and proper testing. The MoT/DLT would prefer to think that Thai drivers already understand the basics. They don't.

By the time they've completed the study, it'll be the New Year - probably the Thai version, with yet more meaningless threats to address the carnage.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

'... you can tell people the rules - make them pass an exam - teach them the fundamentals of driving a vehicle and test them ...' You could. But the DLT doesn't over concern itself with the bothersome necessities. 

' ... if you take 1000 Thai drivers and put them in the UK - how long before they start to realise that laws are actually enforced and people are punished, they will change their driving style because they know they cannot get away with it.' You do know that Thais, God forbid, can use their licence to drive on British roads?

'

5 hours ago, midas said:

Think of it this way (apart from road worthiness of vehicles) if you suddenly remove all the police and cameras from the UK, how long before the road death toll creeps up - I can guarantee not long before there is carnage on the roads "

Can you  provide evidence to support your theory?

well I made a claim - how about you offer some argument that I am wrong..............go for it

How about schools banning kids riding to school on motorbikes. Cant park there and if caught the kids parents to front school. I no half the lazy sods won't go which caused the problem in the first place but a loss of face in the village might have some impact.

2 hours ago, ronrat said:

How about schools banning kids riding to school on motorbikes. Cant park there and if caught the kids parents to front school. I no half the lazy sods won't go which caused the problem in the first place but a loss of face in the village might have some impact.

The trouble again Ron is the Keystone cops  My step daughter ( one lazy spoilt girl) started riding to school when she was 14  Mother' s approval because she was to lazy to get her self to school Might involve some walking This girl never had a license to ride that bike to school but she still did it  Mum knew Did nothing  She was pulled over about 10 times by the Keystone boys fined 200 baht for not having a license and allowed to get back on bike and ride to school She use to laugh about it. 70% of those kids riding bikes to school do not have a license  If the keystone cops were any good and they are def are not they would go to school hold classes with these students inform them they cannot by law ride a bike till certain age and must have a license and if they are caught they would loose the bike  a big fine  would be imposed on them and mum and dad for letting them ride the bike to school. That would be normal policing thing to do But here the cops are to lazy to get off there <deleted> and go to these schools and plus it cuts off the tea money 

12 hours ago, smedly said:

well I made a claim - how about you offer some argument that I am wrong..............go for it

A new study that followed more than 150,000 teen drivers over eight years has found that driver's education significantly reduces crashes and traffic violations among new drivers.

Young drivers who have not completed driver's education are 75 percent more likely to get a traffic ticket, 24 percent more likely to be involved in a fatal or injury accident and 16 percent more likely to have an accident, the study showed.

http://newsroom.unl.edu/releases/2015/08/13/Study:+Driver's+ed+significantly+reduces+teen+crashes,+tickets