Arriving is Official

Somebody who only knows that she needs a visa to arrive and who has not heard of this website is in for defaults 'for no fault of her own' when she arrives in Thailand on a non-tourist visa. 

She must know what a TM30 is, for example. 

I felt that all that she needed to know should be in one place rather than dispersed across posts. 

So have started this topic. 

I am making a list of things I need to know before I arrive when I do. 

My learnings are shared here without attribution therefore please dont thank me for anything you learn here.

Thanks!

When you move residence, you have to fill up the TM28 form ( No 27 in the post below) and submit it to the immigration office of the province you have moved to. I guess this form too needs the housemaster's endorsement on it like in the TM30 ( No30 in the post below). I guess before 24 hours of moving or else there is a fine. I dont know whether like the TM30 not all immigration offices in the Kingdom enforce the TM28 rule. 

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit

All the forms can be downloaded from the immigration website and the link is here: https://www.immigration.go.th/download/ 

It is in pure Thai so my friend has found out for me the relevant numbers in the index column for my ready reference:

14 = TM7 (Extension of stay)

15 = TM8 (Re-entry permit)

27 = TM28 (Change of Address)

28 = TM30 (Housemaster notification)

29 = TM47 (90 day reporting)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Somebody who only knows that she needs a visa to arrive and who has not heard of this website

Then how would 'she' find your thread of concise information??

Being helpful is one thing, being overly helpful...

I think I've already said too much

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Please correct me. Thanks.

I think your best bet is to arrive at the airport and fully explain your reason for coming here to the Imm' officer and provide all the details and that you know exactly what he/she has to do.

Do all this before you hand your passport over as it's obvious they will have time to spare to listen. You will be amazed how thankful they will be to be provided with all the knowledge you are or will be ready to impart.

Please keep us up to date.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

If you are coming to Thailand for a holiday and are not pretending to be a visitor you don’t need to know any of this stuff. You have your visa, the airline gives you a form to fill out which you hand over with your passport and in return the Immigration officer stamps your passport with the date by which you must leave. That’s it, enjoy your holiday.
When you are living here but pretending that you are not is the time to worry about this stuff.

... or, in my area:

• If you arrive on a Tourist Visa and later want a 30-day extension
  • If you are on any longer-term form of stay and want an extension or to do a 90-day report

In short, if you will ever want anything done at the Immigration Office, you need to make sure a TM-30 was done or you could have problems.  But, then again, maybe not.  Some others report doing the exact same things which caught others into fine-traps, and are never asked for it.  Go figure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tgeezer said:

If you are coming to Thailand for a holiday and are not pretending to be a visitor you don’t need to know any of this stuff.

If staying in a hotel, this is true. If staying with friends (outside Bangkok) and planning to get an extension of stay from immigration, the TM30 notification becomes important.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

If staying in a hotel, this is true. If staying with friends (outside Bangkok) and planning to get an extension of stay from immigration, the TM30 notification becomes important.

In which case Immigration will provide you with the forms that they need.  No big deal.

The inquirer as far as this topic is concerned is visiting Thailand on a non-tourist visa. I dont think it matters whether she is on a non o visa or a non b visa. Information about the official duties she will have to perform like filing TM30, 28, etc, on time, she will not be told about by immigration before entering the Kingdom making her susceptible to being called out and fined. I think personally that is a very worrying thing.

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

How is the dissemination of your 'learnings' on a website that 'she' has never heard of going to help her?  Her 'difficulties' (that you are imagining) will still exist even after your good work.

Yup!

7 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

When you move residence, you have to fill up the TM28 form ( No 27 in the post below) and submit it to the immigration office of the province you have moved to. I guess this form too needs the housemaster's endorsement on it like in the TM30 ( No30 in the post below). I guess before 24 hours of moving or else there is a fine. I dont know whether like the TM30 not all immigration offices in the Kingdom enforce the TM28 rule. 

"I guess... I guess... I dont know...".

That's clarified it, then.

Apart from TM30 once and the 90-day reports, does a longer-term alien need to file anything else? Assuming she does not change residence? I think it would be ridiculous for her to inform immigration if lets say she is going to Chiang Mai for a couple of days to a week from Bangkok. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Just Weird said:
4 hours ago, BritTim said:

In which case Immigration will provide you with the forms that they need.  No big deal.

At some immigration offices, they will provide the forms, but also demand you pay a 2,000 baht fine if the TM30 notification was not done in a timely fashion. Not a catastrophe, perhaps, but still annoying.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Apart from TM30 once and the 90-day reports, does a longer-term alien need to file anything else? Assuming she does not change residence? I think it would be ridiculous for her to inform immigration if lets say she is going to Chiang Mai for a couple of days to a week from Bangkok. 

The cardinal rule, if not absolutely sure, is to check with your local immigration office. There is no single set of requirements that applies regardless of where you are staying.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The cardinal rule, if not absolutely sure, is to check with your local immigration office. There is no single set of requirements that applies regardless of where you are staying.

As long as the immigration officials she speaks to can converse in English, that will be fine. But if they are overworked, I dont see it is going to be easy for a Shiela to know what else she needs to do. But your advice is helpful as always. I will badger them with all my questions, wait after they clock off and seriously befriend some. 

Edited by Aditi Sharma
3rd person

She doesn't need to worry about this until she goes to Immigration to extend her stay...no risk of "being called or fined".

She doesn't ever need to worry about "being called or fined" over this.

27 = TM28 (Change of Address)

28 = TM30 (Housemaster notification)

Neither of these in, normal circumstances, particularly the TM30 which is not her responsibility, are likely to cause the problems that you are claiming she is going to face.

29 = TM47 (90 day reporting) 

If she has a visa extension that requires 90-day reports she will be given a notification by Immigration advising her when that is due.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Try to be helpful, thanks!

Thanks for the PM (why a PM?).  I am trying to be helpful by letting people know that you are fear-mongering with information that is not, in normal circumstances, going to cause the visitor any problems!

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 1

I dont tire of saying this but consulates embassies immigration must create a booklet to give these bits of information, to-do's, before she enters the Kingdom otherwise she will never know.  The acknowledgement chits she receives from immigration I am told she would be best advised to staple on her passport so that she does not lose them. I have never been good at stapling things.

14 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

As long as the immigration officials she speaks to can converse in English, that will be fine. But if they are overworked, I dont see it is going to be easy for a Shiela to know what else she needs to do. But your advice is helpful as always. I will badger them with all my questions, wait after they clock off and seriously befriend some. 

Why do you think that an IO would not be able to speak English and, even if overworked, why would that IO not tell her what was required?

17 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

She doesn't need to worry about this until she goes to Immigration to extend her stay...no risk of "being called or fined".

I mostly agree. However, if not aware of the requirements for an extension, difficulties can arise. That is especially true for people from countries like India where you cannot simply hop across the border and get a new visa in a neighboring country. For instance, failing to have funds in the bank for long enough when applying for an extension can lead to major complications.

17 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

She doesn't ever need to worry about "being called or fined" over this.

There is no need to worry as long as (unlike too many poor souls) you know when it is needed.

Edited by BritTim

Just now, Aditi Sharma said:

Tell me why :-)

Well, I was asking that question of you but as you asked it back,  IOs speak enough English to do their job (have you come across any that don't?) and they would always tell an applicant what was required of them, obviously!  How else could they do their job?

In all my visits to the Kingdom as a tourist I have never been asked questions. I have never had to go to the immigration office of course for form submission. Maybe I would know when I do what a fantastic learning experience I had been missing so far. Visiting this site would just give one the chance to let off steam or to rag sombody like myself to embarrassment.