How much do you pay your nanny?

myellieoh

Technical college degree start at 15000 baht a month.  Uneducated nannies ?   Factory workers getting 17000 to work 6 days.  I know a girl who work 5 days a week in a bank and almost 12 hour days.  12 years of service and 19000.   May just depend how many people in your area use nannies.   Nobody will know if she can keep her mouth shut but that is not likely.   Good luck !@

On 11/18/2017 at 4:40 PM, myellieoh said:

Thanks for your replies.

Yes. My neighbors are concerned if this raises the market rate.

But those are what I wanted to hear.

If your neighbours are so concerned have they said what they pay? 

2 hours ago, ToddinChonburi said:

Technical college degree start at 15000 baht a month.  Uneducated nannies ?   Factory workers getting 17000 to work 6 days.  I know a girl who work 5 days a week in a bank and almost 12 hour days.  12 years of service and 19000.   May just depend how many people in your area use nannies.   Nobody will know if she can keep her mouth shut but that is not likely.   Good luck !@

i convinced my nanny to leave a factory job. we found her through mutual friends and the connection was nearly familial.

she was grateful for the opportunity and proved herself to be a very useful member of the family.

she was responsible for my daughter when i went on very regular business trips, maintained all household finances, making sure bills were paid on time, dealing with tradesmen etc. did my shopping and made sure my daughter lacked nothing, often going out of her way to buy her dresses and things and refusing compensation for these gifts.  She was with me for 7 years taking care of my daughter, and another 5 taking care of my house and cat when i began travelling more and my daughter went to school in the US.  At that time i would not be home for months at a time.

When her son came of age and went to school I helped her arrange for a better school nearby so she could drop him off in the morning and pick him up after her work was done, by this time she was just my house keeper. She insisted on taking care of my daughter until she was too damn big to move. when my daughter left she suggested a pay cut for less work, but she ended up with a base salary increase because extended hours and overnight bonuses were no longer necessary and i wanted to make sure she had a living wage.

She is on messenger with my daughter, now 11 almost as frequently as I am (alot), and though she has moved on with money saved working for me, she still stops by the house to see me or the cat when she knows i am around.

personally i couldnt care less what she told others, but i suspect she kept quiet and did her job.

you may think i overpaid, but i know of many paying MARKET rates who run a revolving door for help, and as i have said,  paying around 610 USD or 460 GBP per month for peace of mind, security loyalty and love of my child seems like i was getting off way too easily.

you want to pay a series of strangers less, good luck to you.

On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 8:34 AM, Naam said:

some people think i'm crazy because our staff has airconditioned rooms, TV, laptops and broadband internet. the contractor who build the staff house even thought that hot water in their bathroom is a luxury. but then... TIT This Is Thailand!

A little off topic but when our house was built and we wanted curtain rails put up , after muttering to the wife it would seem they had never seen curtains before.

Back on topic my Nan died in '73.

On ‎2017‎년 ‎11‎월 ‎20‎일 at 7:42 AM, Bob12345 said:

I live in Phuket and our nanny just approached me and my wife yesterday telling about the going rates in Pattaya at "Maya-jellie's-house".

Please, i beg you, lower the wage of your nanny because word goes around quick and our nanny is already booking a bus ticket to your house.

On ‎2017‎년 ‎11‎월 ‎18‎일 at 7:46 PM, Katia said:

I guess the other question is, what is the usual rate for a nanny working these hours and having those job duties?  How much over are you wanting to pay?  Has she herself given any input on what she might want to be paid?

This is what my neighbors and I worried about.

Had no idea how much I should offer to the part time nanny here in Pattaya at the beginning, and found a job posting of hiring a nanny; the salary offered there was B12,000 for working from 11-5pm, M-F.

This was how I considered the going rate here.

One of my neighbors used to pay the same money to Thai nanny for working full time, 9-6, though.

I was told English speaking nanny usually asks higher, e.g. Filipino nanny usually asks B20,000/m, and I decided to fix the wage like that at first.

I know this could cause some troubles as no one wants to get lower, and sorry about that.

Hope this topic helps someone who just gets to Thailand and wants to hire a nanny, as I desperately needed one.

Edited by myellieoh

On 11/18/2017 at 4:40 PM, myellieoh said:

Thanks for your replies.

Yes. My neighbors are concerned if this raises the market rate.

But those are what I wanted to hear.

From what I have observed Thais pay about 8000 per month. Live in, includes 3 meals and 1 day off a week. In addition they hire 1 maid for each job and usually a maid will only do 1 job. Such as 1 cooks, 1 cleans, and 1 cares for the kids. Some houses have 1 maid for each kid. 

So you are getting double duty, kid and cleaning. Also you do not provide accommodation so that expenses have to be covered since she is from another country. 

So 7000 + 7000 double job. 

3000 accommodation and outside meals. That's about right.