Poor really are getting poorer in Thailand

rooster59

Poor really are getting poorer in Thailand

By PRATCH RUJIVANAROM 
THE SUNDAY NATION 

dd05d1ffbcd45845aa665a6259b2dd26.jpeg

ACADEMICS SAY CURRENT WELFARE POLICY IS COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE, MAKING RICH RICHER

THE POOR are getting poorer, while the rich are getting richer due to the government’s policy approach to welfare and social enterprise, according to academics who presented at a seminar on civil state policy held at Thammasat University yesterday.

Official statistics show a trend in which the rich tend to get more benefit from the government’s policies than the poor, which is in sharp contrast to the policy’s intent to fight poverty, said Decharut Sukkumnoed, an economics professor at Kasetsart University.

b604c2efb85130e40a08021e02e69052.jpeg

Decharut cited statistics from Office of the National Economics and Social Development Board, which indicated that the number of people below the poverty line increased by nearly 20 per cent in 2015-2016. 

Some 5.81 million people lived in poverty last year, defined as having an income below Bt2,920 per month.

“From the statistics, we also found that the number of poor people is on the rise, because the daily expenses of the poor, especially food prices, are increasing. 

“But on the other hand their income is getting lower, especially the income of poor people in the agriculture sector,” he told the seminar, sponsored by the People’s Party for Freedom.

In comparison, said Decharut, statistics showed “the richest group of people in Thai society … have increasing income, especially after the coup three years ago”.

Decharut warned that this phenomenon indicated a serious problem in Thai society. 

It clearly shows a structural problem in society and that the civil state policies are making the situation worse, he said.

He said the civil state system allowed big conglomerates, which compose the highest income group of society, to get more economic benefit than do the poor from the government’s projects intended to help the poor. 

The policy is giving the rich an opportunity to take advantage of the poor, he said.

a878c14300b8038a88e4d6cfa46f1887.jpeg

Another academic, Surawit Wannakrairoj, a professor from Faculty of Agriculture of Kasetsart University, pointed to the civil state’s farming policy as an illustration of what is wrong. The policy intends to modernise Thailand’s agriculture and boost farmer incomes, he said.

In practice, however, many policies and laws, such as the big plantation policy or Plant Varieties Protection Act, are instead helping big conglomerates in the agriculture sector to tighten their grip on farmers and force them to use only the conglomerate’s supplies.

Decharut said that welfare does not much help the poor. The government is now facing its biggest budget deficits in modern history, accounting for up to 23 per cent of its total revenues.

He said the government budget was over-spending on many items instead of diverting more funds to help the poor.

One of the key policies championed by the government is to help low-income people whose annual earnings are less than Bt100,000 per year. 

A social welfare card system was recently introduced for a total of more than 11 million people nationwide who had earlier registered to get state benefits.

These cardholders are entitled to subsidies on purchases of necessary goods at government-sponsored retail shops as well as free but limited public transport on Bangkok’s Skytrains, subway and buses among other benefits.

Those earning less than Bt30,000 per year will also get vocational training to increase their opportunities to get better jobs as a means to tackle poverty in the long run.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30331972

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-19

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

“From the statistics, we also found that the number of poor people is on the rise, because the daily expenses of the poor, especially food prices, are increasing. 

“But on the other hand their income is getting lower, especially the income of poor people in the agriculture sector,” he told the seminar, sponsored by the People’s Party for Freedom.

In comparison, said Decharut, statistics showed “the richest group of people in Thai society … have increasing income, especially after the coup three years ago”.

Unfortunately, I am not surprised by this news, and I suspect that few others are surprised either; when the poor lose their representation, it follows that they lose their influence as well

The truly sad news is that the trend is likely to continue until there is a government that focus' on the poor, and that is likely a ways into the future...

Sad times..

8 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Some 5.81 million people lived in poverty last year, defined as having an income below Bt2,920 per month.

This figure represent less than 10% of the population, almost every Thai 

person owns a smartphone, a motorcycle or and a piece of gold ornaments,

most Thais now days will scoff at a minimum wage days work, a young guard

girl with no formal education get over 10,000 baht a month at our condo,

Thai people get fat and drink a lot, and travel overseas frequently, 

however, there's a serious issue with the elderly and the disabled who

has to do with a peanuts for living and something clearly has to be done there....

9 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Unfortunately, I am not surprised by this news, and I suspect that few others are surprised either; when the poor lose their representation, it follows that they lose their influence as well

The truly sad news is that the trend is likely to continue until there is a government that focus' on the poor, and that is likely a ways into the future...

Sad times..

When their "representation" danced to the tune of a corrupt fugitive criminal in return for a fat monthly payment, their influence must have been huge.

25 minutes ago, ezzra said:

person owns a smartphone, a motorcycle or and a piece of gold ornaments

And that statement made it look much better? It´s still 10% of the population, that should not have to suffer like they do.

Most people in the west owns things like the ones you describe too, but they have a better social security or salury. That was the point.

2 minutes ago, NCFC said:

So those below the poverty line increased by 20%. Under Thaksin, the numbers decreased by 50%. Tells you all you need to know.

And:

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

“the richest group of people in Thai society … have increasing income, especially after the coup three years ago”.

46 minutes ago, ezzra said:

has to do with a peanuts for living and something clearly has to be done there....

I don t think you have ever left your tiny expat enclave.  Poverty  in rural Thailand is commonplace. As to getting fat, drink a lot and travelling overseas, I suspect you have taken your significant other and concluded she is representative of all Thais.  

38 minutes ago, Get Real said:

And that statement made it look much better? It´s still 10% of the population, that should not have to suffer like they do.

Most people in the west owns things like the ones you describe too, but they have a better social security or salury. That was the point.

Here are some sobering poverty figures for you,

USA 12.7%  Canada 9.4%  Aust 13.3% UK 6.5% and no, you don't

own luxury items when you're poor, and you take any job being offerd

to you, currently there are over a million of alien workers in Thailand,

not because there's so much work, because Thai people will not get

their hands dirty in menial jobs any longer....

Nearly 6 million people below the poverty line but how many Myanmar people work on construction sites in Bangkok?

I know Thai people that pay about 12k a month, plus food, plus decent free live in accomodation for their Laos gardeners. They go through all the hassle and expense of getting them a work permit because there are no Thai people willing to do the job.

I do think a significant percentage of those people in poverty could find work if they chose to.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

Nearly 6 million people below the poverty line but how many Myanmar people work on construction sites in Bangkok?

I know Thai people that pay about 12k a month, plus food, plus decent free live in accomodation for their Laos gardeners. They go through all the hassle and expense of getting them a work permit because there are no Thai people willing to do the job.

I do think a significant percentage of those people in poverty could find work if they chose to.

Yes, I get most annoyed at the children,, (at least 50% of the poor are children), the lazy little buggers.  I'll bet blackcab had a job, attended school and walked both  ways uphill to it, . Have you ever been out of your hiso neighbourhood?  12k, meals and decent accomadation? TEFL teachers would give their right arm for a job like that.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.

3 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

Yes, I get most annoyed at the children,, (at least 50% of the poor are children), the lazy little buggers.  I'll bet blackcab had a job, attended school and walked both  ways uphill to it, . Have you ever been out of your hiso neighbourhood?  12k, meals and decent accomadation? TEFL teachers would give their right arm for a job like that.

I don't know any Laos TEFL teachers.

Why would children annoy you, and where did you get your 50 per cent statistic from?

24 minutes ago, blackcab said:

I don't know any Laos TEFL teachers.

Why would children annoy you, and where did you get your 50 per cent statistic from?

http://www.thp.org/knowledge-center/know-your-world-facts-about-hunger-poverty/

I was being sarcastic.  I couldn t believe that anyone with enough education to have Thai friends that pay 12k a month and room and board for a gardner would be so ignorant as to blame children for being poor. 

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

No if you read the article before you started with your rant you would have know that is nationwide no Bangkok.

Bangkok has a population of 9,617,000  (2017) as per wikipedia ( I know you need references). To think that 2/3 of the poulation of Bangkok lives on less than 100usd is lunacy but indicative of your real knowledge of Thailand. 

As I have provided you with the references you requested, can I have your Thai friends address? I think you my be less than truthful

Edited by greatwhitenorth

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Here are some sobering poverty figures for you,

USA 12.7%  Canada 9.4%  Aust 13.3% UK 6.5% and no, you don't

own luxury items when you're poor, and you take any job being offerd

to you, currently there are over a million of alien workers in Thailand,

not because there's so much work, because Thai people will not get

their hands dirty in menial jobs any longer....

As usual, there is another comment from somebody that just wants to tell everybody that thai people don´t want to do work, and that they think in the wrong way. 
Why in the world are you at all interested in the country. Signing out!

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

The "view from the condo"

or

"There is nothing so hard for those whose lives abound in riches as to conceive that others may be in want"

Jonathan Swift

The view that plays such an important part in pushing Thailand towards its "destiny".

Edited by Enoon

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Sad times..

It only has to stop focusing on a self destructive obsession with maintaining (solely by the use of the military) a caste based hegemony of old and new money, which is pathologically incapable of representing a broad spectrum of outlook or aspiration.

Of course the one thing that players in a tragedy will not do is the "right" thing.

No "happy ending" for Thailand.

Edited by Enoon

The MiL earns less  than 4k a month BUT, she owns her own house so no rent, she grows her own food, her utilities are paid for by me plus she receives money each month from three daughters and one son, all in all, she has a comfortable life.

5 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

The MiL earns less  than 4k a month BUT, she owns her own house so no rent, she grows her own food, her utilities are paid for by me plus she receives money each month from three daughters and one son, all in all, she has a comfortable life.

Then thats the answer, we give every poor Thai a house, a garden, a farang son in law and  4 adult children.

You sir are a genius

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Thy might have  a smartphone pick up or motorcycle, but i would put money on the fact they are NOT paid for ...eg on credit!

18 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

Then thats the answer, we give every poor Thai a house, a garden, a farang son in law and  4 adult children.

You sir are a genius

The point I was making, which seems to have escaped you, is that despite official earnings being low for various sectors, income levels of many of those people is actually much higher, for a number of reasons and Thai families have always existed this way.

By the same logic, some peoples' income is in fact less as they use a proportion to support other family members.

Statistics are always a bit debatable as to their relation with actual situation. Maybe the statistics come from the recent sign up for low income monthly support cards?

Then there is the matter of people in debt, I would say many people have problems servicing debt as well as paying bills at present.

I went to Kamtieng Market (Chiang Mai) yesterday and was blown away by the number of shops with a for lease/rent sign up. Even a couple of shops which had really good business with regular buy in bulk customers, have signs up. The place was almost devoid of customers and it was a weekend. Never seen it so quiet in almost 20yrs.

11 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

The point I was making, which seems to have escaped you, is that despite official earnings being low for various sectors, income levels of many of those people is actually much higher, for a number of reasons and Thai families have always existed this way.

Yes iI missed the obvious  tenuous connection between your Mil s experience and the bigger picture.  What percentage of people earning under 4k a month own their own home?  If the children are providing income for their parents then obviously the childrens income is actually much lower than reported as it is not just their income.  

This in fact is one of the more worrying things, at the moment a large proportion of older people still own their own homes, but just think along the line in about 20-30yrs. With the rise in property prices, stagnant incomes, and inflation, the future doesn't look too rosy. Property repeatedly gets split up amongst multiple children. With stagnant incomes and the dramatic rise in property prices in the last 30 years they either blow their portion or buy a "shoebox". Race to the bottom is a good scenario for what I see happening at the moment.