Power steering.

overherebc

a fluid leak from such as a high pressure system like this, should be checked professionally

simply gunking up a seepage, will itself threaten to later cause it's own blockages in the rest of the system, down the track...

Once a seal has deteriorated, nothing can bring it back to new

... which explains the looks you got

26 minutes ago, tifino said:

a fluid leak from such as a high pressure system like this, should be checked professionally

simply gunking up a seepage, will itself threaten to later cause it's own blockages in the rest of the system, down the track...

Thanks.

Good idea to spend more than a pick up is worth on a professional opinion especially in Thailand.

??

Edited by overherebc

47 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Liqui Molly and STP sell similar products in Thailand.

Cheers. I'll try more searching. At the stage where the pick up has 300,000 on the clock and not quite sure yet if it's a sell, trade in or replace the rack.

Doesn't have any other faults and the leak is minimal. I can handle it but SWMBO complains about it being on the tiles.

???

14 hours ago, tifino said:

Think these fluids work on the seal material to soften/expand it, not gunk things up.

I have used similar for crankshaft  seals and it works...

... certainly hope so!

was curious on just how old the vehicle is? i.e whether the problem is age related or not?

but there was a later comment, which could lead one to believe the vehicle's worth may just equate to the cost of a few of the  bottles :blush:  

I had a leak, which appeared only after week after the vehicle was acquired, at the same time I lost 'feedback' , in that the vehicle could not self-righten to straight line (ever!) if one had been steering into a circle. This was years ago, and I cannot recall if it was a High or a Low pressure side leak. 

Anyways, this was the basis of my interest in the topic - the underlying cause!

Edited by tifino

23 hours ago, tifino said:

... certainly hope so!

was curious on just how old the vehicle is? i.e whether the problem is age related or not?

but there was a later comment, which could lead one to believe the vehicle's worth may just equate to the cost of a few of the  bottles :blush:  

I had a leak, which appeared only after week after the vehicle was acquired, at the same time I lost 'feedback' , in that the vehicle could not self-righten to straight line (ever!) if one had been steering into a circle. This was years ago, and I cannot recall if it was a High or a Low pressure side leak. 

Anyways, this was the basis of my interest in the topic - the underlying cause!

There is a valve in the rack that equalises pressure to both turn sides, l bought a reckon rack once that did the same, they gave me a replacement..

The stuff in the OP is purely a seal rejuvenater for hardened seals, will do nothing in a new rack..

On 11/19/2017 at 11:35 AM, overherebc said:

Thanks.

Good idea to spend more than a pick up is worth on a professional opinion especially in Thailand.

??

Went down the professional opinion road, ie cleanest dirty shirt and shorts and got underneath the front for a good look around. Had the engine running and got SWMBO to swing the wheel back and forth a few times, sort of bad timing because the very slightly cracked hose decided to crack a bit more, should have taken the weight of the wheels a bit first I suppose. Do you have any idea how much shampoo it takes to get ATF out of your hair?

Quick top-up and drove to the garage, one top up on the way as well, new hose, new clips and new fluid took about an hour and 1500 baht and all is fine again, til the next time.

Pick up is still in pretty good condition, oils filters changed every 10,000 or as near as possible 300,000, on the clock and has only let me down a couple of times with battery problems and some sort of vacuum thingy that was only 500 baht for a new one.

Reckon there's a couple of years in the old girl yet.

Maybe get new injectors soon or get them cleaned.

:stoner: